Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Print Publication on Amazon

Okay so I'm considering doing a print version of my recent science essay book. I've had a couple of requests for it. (as well as for my poetry book) but have avoided it so far, just seems messy and expensive. I also don't really care about selling everywhere (B&N, Sony, Apple, etc). I understand that I can use the Amazon subsidiary CreateSpace to do print publication and have set up an account there, but it's looks to be a pain in the butt and I'll have to create a specially formated version of my MS-Word (which is my master doc) in order to do it. For Kindle it's no more complicated than uploading the Word file and checking it, but this CreateSpace thing has templates and margins and fonts and all kinds of krap...somewhat daunting.

Has anyone done this?

What was your experience?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So, its really not that hard. I copy/paste my word doc in to the template, touch up any page breaks/etc. Then upload the result. Works well. I found it to be a million times easier to work with then Lulu or some others.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well that sounds encouraging. So just to be clear, you download the template from CreateSpace and then cut/paste the text in?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well that sounds encouraging. So just to be clear, you download the template from CreateSpace and then cut/paste the text in?
Well copy/paste not CUT but yes.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
kennyc

Meh, who cares about the original.
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
kennyc

The thing that bugs me is having to maintain multiple versions/formats. As it stands this particular book is make up of stand-alone essays which can and will be published separately -- that means that any changes have to be made in three places - original article, Word Ebook doc and Print book doc...

What a pain....
Old 07-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard

That is where Scrivener is MAGICAL. Write once in it, set up your compiles, and BAM! Magic.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
not so much anymore with Scrivener. Apparently the epub validation engines have changed some things, so that a Scrivener-compiled epub still needs some tweaking in Sigil to pass the validation engines now. Scrivener is apparently aware of this, but doesn't consider it worth issuing a patch for this just yet.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
That is where Scrivener is MAGICAL. Write once in it, set up your compiles, and BAM! Magic.

Absolutely!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
not so much anymore with Scrivener. Apparently the epub validation engines have changed some things, so that a Scrivener-compiled epub still needs some tweaking in Sigil to pass the validation engines now. Scrivener is apparently aware of this, but doesn't consider it worth issuing a patch for this just yet.
Not sure what you mean, I just pushed out an epub that I am pretty sure is from Scriv... worked fine, passed all the validators... I am on a Mac so that might change things.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
it might be only on the PC version - I've had to dink with the last two epubs I've compiled through Scrivener. I heard on That Other List that it's not a high priority to fix, though. On the other hand, the Powers that Be may have dinked with the validation engines again to make it a non-issue.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm a big fan of Scrivener (for Mac) but when it comes to formatting for Createspace, I compile it as a doc, set the page size, page numbers, fix the orphans etc. and turn it into a PDF (using Word). It does take ME a pot of coffee but isn't a big deal, compared to writing, proofing, editing the beast!

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
KatherineMariaca
KatherineMariaca began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
CreateSpace is very easy to use. Document set up is a breeze. I do recommend that you download one of CS's templates if this is your first time publishing in print as they have built in margins, etc.

So, simply download a template, copy and paste your work into it, go through it page by page to make sure everything looks good and you are done.

If you end up doing this often, you might want to invest in Adobe's InDesign which gives you a lot more freedom to design a book. For simple book designs (that still look great), use the templates.

Also: CS has a digital proofer. This simulates a print book. Go page by page through your book using this tool. You will probably see a few things you want to adjust. If so, make your corrections in Word and upload again (and again) until everything looks great in theDigital Proofer.

Then, order a print proof (cheap and fast) and go through everything again before approving your book for sale.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it is very easy.

Best of luck!

[Promotional text deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-15-2013 at 08:13 AM.
KatherineMariaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
I've found PDF is the only reliable way to get good output from Createspace, but I'm creating the .doc files in LibreOffice, so there could be some incompatibility. I had to create my own template because I never got theirs to work reliably.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote