Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Post-update battery weirdness

So I updated my Reader when the new firmware came out, of course, and recently I noticed something odd. My battery meter was down to one-half, so I plugged it in and let it charge more than 24 hours. When I went to use it, however, the battery meter was *still* at one-half. I thought I must have not plugged it in fully, or something, but having just done the same thing again, the problem still persists.

However, I can't tell if it's actually the battery life that's been affected... the meter hasn't gone down, either. Plugging the reader in causes the meter to go to full, the "lightning" icon to appear, and the charging LED to illuminate.

Has anyone else seen something like this?

Edit: Hmm, after plugging it in with the screen *on*, the battery seems to be stable at full, again... Perhaps.

Last edited by bingle; 02-16-2007 at 01:40 AM.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps the firmware had just lost its "reference point" for the meter? Happens occasionally. Might be an idea to let it run pretty "flat" and then charge again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
So I updated my Reader when the new firmware came out, of course, and recently I noticed something odd. My battery meter was down to one-half, so I plugged it in and let it charge more than 24 hours. When I went to use it, however, the battery meter was *still* at one-half. I thought I must have not plugged it in fully, or something, but having just done the same thing again, the problem still persists.

However, I can't tell if it's actually the battery life that's been affected... the meter hasn't gone down, either. Plugging the reader in causes the meter to go to full, the "lightning" icon to appear, and the charging LED to illuminate.

Edit: Hmm, after plugging it in with the screen *on*, the battery seems to be stable at full, again... Perhaps.
I've had the exact problem ater the update.and was concerned that it was mechanical!!! I watched it when I plug it in to recharge...the red light goes on and then turns off in about 5 minutes. Now we know the source was the update and can look for a solution.
Mitcll
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle

Mine did the same thing, had one bar left of power.... charged it up, red light went out, removed it from the charger....... it was still reading low....... plugged it back in, light went out pretty quickly and then the meter was reading correctly.....

now it seems fine.......I am still full metered since the update..... of course I haven't looked at it yet this morning, LOL
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
NormB
Definately Senior
NormB began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman,Dell Axim,PRS-500
I had the same problem, with the meter stuck on one segment(the lowest one). I charged over-night last night and still had only one segment. I did a reset and the problem was fixed. Now I have to work up enough courage to snap the cover back on.
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Steady, Norm, steady. You can do it. We're all pulling for you! Now, just take a deep breath, and apply precisely 5.4387lbs of pressure in an exactly vertical direction.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Don't forget the proper technique Norm... place the Sony Reader face down on a safe flat surface, and then press the cover onto the back of the Reader. It puts a lot less strain on the screen that way.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
I called Sony support and they were befuddled. Then I consulted the only people who seem to know anything about this....the folks at this forum. I hit reset and WHAM BAM it is HEALED.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THIS AND ALL YOUR HELP ON EVERYTHING

Mitch

Last edited by Mitchll; 02-16-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Identical issue here - battery gauge stuck on three bars, even though the "charging" light was out. Soft reset has fixed it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I thought my battery was lasting an unusual amount of time on 3 bars.

I'll have to try a reset.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have a tool that looks like a mini Allen wrench (hex wrench) except smooth on the outside. It came with an old TDK CD-R drive years ago to open the tray without electrical power. It allowed me to perform a reset without removing the case!

Mine was stuck at 3/4; but, now all is well. Thanks.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
To add weight to this complaint, I'll chime in with the same problem. Reset fixed it. Thanks, guys.

See that, Sony?!
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Yep, my battery indicator is confused as well. Even though I performed a reset, it's still stuck at 1 bar after several hours of charging via USB. (Which used to work fine.) Now trying to charge it directly.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Nope, after charging it directly for hours it's still stuck at 1 bar. Charge light is off. I'm going to drain it fully with an MP3 on repeat and will try again in the morning.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Mine just stayed at 2 bars after a couple of hours' charging, a soft reset seems to have fixed it right up, though. You did do the reset after the charge, right, Laurens? Just checking.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote