Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
How about High Fidelity and About a Boy both by Nick Hornby.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
+1 for A Civil Campaign, but the story really is a trilogy; it starts with MEMORY as Miles hits 30 and 30 hits back. Hard. Having hit his mid-life crisis early, Miles end up on KOMARR as an apprentice troubleshooter on an accident investigation that is anything but. All of which sets the stage for the courting of the woman of Miles' dreams. Except nobody told miles courting is a bit different than planning a military campaign. Throw in no less than four other mangled romances, two parallel political struggles over issues of sucession and a disjointed planetary male/female sex ratio and things get...interesting.
More than a rom/com Civil Campaign is an SF comedy of manners.

Now, if you're in the mood for fractured fairy tales, John Moore has 4 that I know of:
HEROICS FOR BEGINNERS
THE UNHANDSOME PRINCE
BAD PRINCE CHARLIE
A FATE WORSE THAN DRAGONS

Of the four, HEROICS FOR BEGINNERS is the closest to a hollywood-style Rom/com as it features an "Ice Princess" too hot for her own good, a dashing price too smart for his times, an Evil Overlord who knows all the rules, an Ancient Artfact(tm), and a Diabolical Device(tm) that is truly diabolical. Plus the usual super-competent rival prince.
Lots of humor and a good dash of romance plus a lot of common sense you don't normally see in fantasy (which is where a lot of the humor comes from).

I wish Moore had more like that.
(I'm re-reading HEROICS right now. Still funny.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #18
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
If you want something funny, I recommend Tinker by Wen Spencer. The best way to describe it is Science Fiction with Elves and Magic. I think it is available for free from Webscription.

If you decide that you don't want fantasy, check out the collaborations between Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer
Being a romance junkie I heartily agree about Wen Spencer and the Crusie/Mayer collaboration (the newest one is not very good but the others are laugh out loud funny).

In the fantasy/romance line I also really like Mercedes Lackey, her elementals series are really great and also the novels of the Five Hundred Kingdoms. Both series are based on fairy tales.

If you like the classics try the classic/parodies being done now - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies; Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters; Little Women and Werewolves and Jane Slayre. Very funny.

Happy reading
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #19
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
The first thing that popped into my head was 'anything by PG Wodehouse.'

I'd also recommend Georgette Heyer - particularly 'The Grand Sophie', which is really and truly hilarious. But anything by her is good - funny, sharp and not at all sappy. I'm not a romance reader myself, but I really enjoy her.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #20
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I'd also recommend Georgette Heyer - particularly 'The Grand Sophie', which is really and truly hilarious. But anything by her is good - funny, sharp and not at all sappy. I'm not a romance reader myself, but I really enjoy her.
I read (somewhere) that she never considered herself a romance author. Her books were considered a "comedy of manners"...not that I really understand that phrase.

I've never read any Heyer - keep meaning to. I saw a bunch of these at the CLEVNET ebook library site.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #21
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
My idea of romantic comedies for men is Thorne Smith, with titles such as Topper and Night Life of the Gods. These are available here at MR.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=Thorne+Smith

GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #22
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
My idea of romantic comedies for men is Thorne Smith, with titles such as Topper and Night Life of the Gods. These are available here at MR.

Thanks! I'm not a man, but I might give those a try
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I read (somewhere) that she never considered herself a romance author. Her books were considered a "comedy of manners"...not that I really understand that phrase.

I've never read any Heyer - keep meaning to. I saw a bunch of these at the CLEVNET ebook library site.
Yes, she was great. Many of her books are quite funny. Most of them are "romance" but she also has several mysteries.

"comedy of manners" is more similar to Jane Austen in style. Even though there is a relationship, the story really revolves around the social mores and people's navigation of the social world.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #24
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
How about a good post-apocalyptic special forces novel for women?
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #25
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
HEROICS FOR BEGINNERS is the closest to a hollywood-style Rom/com as it features an "Ice Princess" too hot for her own good, a dashing price too smart for his times, an Evil Overlord who knows all the rules, an Ancient Artfact(tm), and a Diabolical Device(tm) that is truly diabolical. Plus the usual super-competent rival prince.
Lots of humor and a good dash of romance plus a lot of common sense you don't normally see in fantasy (which is where a lot of the humor comes from
I second this. I bought the book this morning, finished it just now. Great book, thank you.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguirado View Post
How about a good post-apocalyptic special forces novel for women?
I believe you're asking for Cally's War.
(Or Tank Girl).
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote