Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #31
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Like I said earlier, I have no wish to compare myself to Seals or Delta but "bar brawlers" are different. Especially if they got a few under their belt already. A word to the wise. If you are going to brawl with someone, buy him a few rounds first. It makes a heck of a difference.
So true. People who drink and become aggressive should not drink. But, when it involves me, I am glad they do.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #32
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post

FWIW, Childs actually is 6'5".
He is that tall. Here's a picture of me standing next to him and I'm just a shade under 6'2''
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeeChild and Friend.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	98480  
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #33
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Lee Child has constantly given favorable statements and defended the choice of Cruise, so if he is thinking anything, it is likely to do with Rosamunde.
Maybe that was because he knew the name could make a difference to ticket sales, not necessarily because he approved of Cruise as Reacher.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #34
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Sorry to disappoint but there was no romantic interest in the movie. No kiss, no bed, just at the end some eye contact.
Was she standing in a ditch?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #35
Yellowfrog
Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Saw the movie a couple of nights ago, and have read all the Jack Reacher books except the latest one (just haven't gotten 'round to it). I didn't think it was all that bad. A little slow getting going, but if you don't focus on Tom Cruise's physical differences from the book descriptions of the character, they did a decent job with the adaptation.

My wife on the other hand thought the movie was really bad. To each their own!
Yellowfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #36
mdb139
Enthusiast
mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android (Samsung Captivate)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfrog View Post
I didn't think it was all that bad. A little slow getting going, but if you don't focus on Tom Cruise's physical differences from the book descriptions of the character, they did a decent job with the adaptation.

My wife on the other hand thought the movie was really bad.
I've read all the books (they are among my favorite, and I also appreciate that Child and publisher don't gouge me for buying the books when they are released). Totally agree - the movie was not bad if you can get past the physical attributes and I thought they did an okay job of adapting the story and dialog. Plus I'm from Pittsburgh (don't live there now) so I appreciated the scenery as well.

My wife enjoyed the movie, though we perhaps went too soon after Newtown, and I'm sure the movie will suffer for it.
mdb139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #37
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
You know who'd be good as Reacher? Liam Neeson, 15 years ago. Or just rewrite the character as older. (why not, they rewrote him shorter)

If you've seen him in Taken and The Grey, you know what I mean. Trivia: Neeson was an amateur boxer before he became an actor. He's not real muscular, but he has the physicality and plenty of acting chops.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #38
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
liam neeson is my 3rd cousin... way too old to be reacher

hugh jackman maybe, or tom jane would be a great reacher

maybe even the rock?
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #39
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read Killing Floor a while back, but have recently read The Enemy, Die Trying, Tripwire and I'm close to finishing Running Blind (I've had the flu for 10 days and reading is the only thing making me feel human).

I have to say, all the references to Reacher's physical description (prevalent in all the books) make me smile a bit. It's pretty funny that Child is now saying that his character's physique (and his frequent mention of it) was nothing more than a 'metaphor'. Ha!

If he continues writing the Reacher series, I'll be curious to see if there's any further descriptive mention of his 6'5", 225 lb., blond-haired, blue-eyed ex-MP-now-turned-drifter.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #40
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm going to see it tomorrow. I've haven't got round to reading the books yet.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #41
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If they had cast Chris Hemsworth as Jack, they would have so much more earnings its crazy. And a lot more female audience. Oh so much more.

Man is 6'3.
Blue eyes.
Blond hair.
Built like a tank.
He's 29 years old.
Can act and is much more popular with younger audience, then that joke of Tom Cruise.
Body images (some nudity, SFW though)
Spoiler:

People know him from his roles of Thor or Huntsmen. They might as well met Jack Reacher through him instead of that Tom character

Last edited by Geralt; 01-12-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #42
DianNC
Banned

I'm now in the middle of Book 12 (Nothing to Lose) of the 17 Reacher books written so far. One Shot(upon which the movie is based) was probably the least interesting to me -- the plot is a bit convoluted and at about the half-way mark, I found I was having trouble mustering any sympathy for any of the characters. Child's books are fast, easy reads so I finished it mainly so I could continue on to The Hard Way(which I liked better).

Of all the books I've read so far, Bad Luck and Trouble (in which Reacher meets up with several comrades from his old Army MP unit) was the most enjoyable. Believable plot, engaging characters, humor, action -- it was a fun read.

I kind of wish they'd chosen it for the movie instead of One Shot, but would still have no interest in seeing it with Tom Cruise playing the role of Jack Reacher.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #43
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Of all the books I've read so far, Bad Luck and Trouble (in which Reacher meets up with several comrades from his old Army MP unit) was the most enjoyable. Believable plot, engaging characters, humor, action -- it was a fun read.
Agreed, I have rated "Bad Luck and Trouble" highest among the Reacher series.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #44
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Here is the first sentence from the mini-review of the movie that appeared in the Weekend section of yesterday's Washington Post:

Presumably taking a long, self-indulgent glance at his What Would Clint Do? bracelet, Tom Cruise takes on the iconic role of surly vigilante in “Jack Reacher,” resulting in a mismatch of wincingly epic proportions.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #45
kzod
kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW
Wow. Ok, I don't like cruise any more than the rest of you guys, but I am surprised how much you guys liked the reacher novels. I just read the first novel and found it silly with one dimensional characters. Are the other books any better, or you guys just prefer the action (either variety) more than I do?
kzod is offline   Reply With Quote