Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
luvscats
luvscats began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Amazon or Best Buy

I am wanting to buy my first Kindle and can't decide whether to buy it from the local Best Buy or order it from Amazon. I am wanting to get the best customer service I can. Has anyone gotten one from Best Buy and had any issues that needed to be addressed? Any advice or input on this would be greatly appreciated.
luvscats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I bought mine at Best Buy. It's the same Kindle no matter where you buy it, but if you want to buy theprotection plan from Best Buy uou may be able to get a replacement faster than through Amazon.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
luvscats
luvscats began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the quick response. Have you had any issues with yours that you have had to contact Best Buy?
luvscats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I went with Amazon because if I feared needing to send it in for a defect or what have you and having issues with Best Buy. Each time I tried to return or exchange something with Best Buy I had problems doing so.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Go with Amazon. If you have any issues with it, they'll send you a brand new one next-day air while its under warranty.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I bought mine from Staples, but Amazon has provided great Customer Support for my Kindle anyways. In fact, when there was a problem, when I experienced freezing issues, they offered to replace it with one-day shipping for me (but I fixed the problem myself by removing the nonlighted leather case)

If Amazon doesn't charge you taxes for your Kindle, definitely buy it from them. It makes quite a difference. If it doesn't, consider buying it from Best Buy since you will get it immediately, and you can easily return it (without paying for shipping) if you don't like it. In addition, I heard that Best Buy is offering free cases with the Kindle (but that deal might have passed).

If you buy a Kindle from Amazon, please click this link before you proceed to checkout. It won't affect you in any way, but I will earn a few bucks that I can use towards buying eBooks

Last edited by kranu; 03-01-2011 at 03:06 AM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
/deleted by author

Last edited by jeromedevine; 03-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine View Post
Do not press the link Kranu is mentioning! It is a scam. He will steal your money and have your contact details. Do not trust him.
The link is totally harmless. It was made using Amazon Associates.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
/deleted by author

Last edited by jeromedevine; 03-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
jerome- you're flaming so hard, you got your threads mixed up.

anyway, I can't believe you guys in the states can get kindles at both staples and best buy.
next your gonna tell me you can buy booze in corner stores.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
Amazon for me and I've had no issues except a minor technical one I was able to resolve on my own. I attempted to purchase it at Target on a few occasions and they were always out of it. I received it from Amazon pretty quickly anyway.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
if u buy it on amazon with an amazon credit card u get 3pts per dollar...hence a 3% discount. if u buy a used one on amazon or a virtually new one u can avoid them collecting sales tax.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
EZPuzzler
Connoisseur
EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EZPuzzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
anyway, I can't believe you guys in the states can get kindles at both staples and best buy.
next your gonna tell me you can buy booze in corner stores.
There are corner stores with drive-up windows.
EZPuzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Personally, I'd never recommend anybody buy ANYTHING from Best Buy and God help you if you actually do need to use their extended protection plan.

The Kindles are exactly the same. The standard warranty provided through Amazon is the same. Basically (US Customers and many international) if you need a new Kindle Amazon will overnight you one.

Amazon has a more lenient return policy and process for the first 30 days.

If you really desire an extended warranty then I'd go with Square Trade before either Amazon or Best Buy. I really don't bother though, my Amex card doubles Amazon's warranty and that's plenty for me considering the now lower cost of these items.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I actually did have to use Best Buy's extended warranty on a laptop I bought my husband a few years ago. They were great - we sent it to them, they did there thing, and then they sent a new one to us, as the problem was with the laptop manufacturer.

As to the Kindle - both my husband and I chose to buy directly from Amazon. He chose Amazon for convenience. He keep his gift for me a surprise (it was delivered to his office and he didn't have to worry about hiding it from me, in the house).
I chose Amazon becuase of speed (I didn't need to find time to go shopping, plus I was trying out the Amazon Prime membership), I too could keep it a surprise from him, they have an excellent, no hassle return policy, and I did not have to pay any fees or taxes on the purchase.

Last edited by Nyssa; 03-14-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typos
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote