Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Image samples from the Kindle and iLiad

The post is for skye4 on the Amazon forums who is trying to decide which reader to purchase.

Attached are the same image as seen on both the Kindle and iLiad. The images were taken from a file and image provided by quek in this thread.

Note 1: the iLiad image is a png file while the Kindle is a gif
Note 2: the iLiad image was larger than the Kindle image and I resized it to 600x800

As you can see the text did not show up on the same page on the Kindle as the image, it's on the following page (not included).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle and iliad.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	14895  

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-02-2008 at 04:57 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
skye4
skye4 began at the beginning.

Device: BlackBerry 8830 & PALM T/X
RE: medical illustrations for Kindle & iLiad

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post these! While I can see certain details in the iLiad screenshots better, I don't think the difference was as tremendous as I expected or put another way, I think Kindle acquitted itself well enough for my purposes! So I think you have resolved the major resistance I had to purchasing a Kindle, especially as my concerns about PDFs also seems resolvable as well. Thank you, thank you. I certainly feel better about spending less, especially on technology that is liable to change!
skye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great! Good luck!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is it the effect of the screen shot or does the Kindle really do such a poor job dithering images?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I think there are enough screen shots from the Kindle around these forums for you to judge that for yourself. I also believe RickyM started a thread about image and dithering issues with the Kindle.
Advert
Old 08-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is it the effect of the screen shot or does the Kindle really do such a poor job dithering images?
I personally don't like leaving the dithering process to the book, however, if it's under copyright I don't suppose people will or should fool around with it.

However, for any books I convert, I do the dithering and work on the contrast to get the best image I can. Then I saw it as png.

Anytime you are going to reduce something from 256 shades of gray or color down to 4 levels ... it's going to be a bit of a crapshoot unless you retain control over the process.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!