Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
Joy of improving one's English

Wanted to to share this unexpected benefit of the Kindle:

I'm from Israel, and English is a second language for me. I studied it mostly by reading books (my good old late Librarian fed me a science fiction book a day in my high-school days) and I thought my reading English was quite good.

Then I started reading on my DXG, and noticed that here and there were words I did not understand - say one or two per page.

Reading them in a (paper) book I would just skip over them, and not even notice them. But with the DXG's dictionary it's fun to look them up. Now I even highlight them so I can later recall them.

Avi
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
I wish I could learn Spanish that way!
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
Yes. If I'd been able to install an Italian dictionary on my Kindle and have kindle consult it for Italian books, my Italiophile wife would surely confisticate the K for her own use !
Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
That's awesome! Keep up the good work
Thanks!-)
Old 10-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq View Post
Wanted to to share this unexpected benefit of the Kindle:

I'm from Israel, and English is a second language for me. I studied it mostly by reading books (my good old late Librarian fed me a science fiction book a day in my high-school days) and I thought my reading English was quite good.

Then I started reading on my DXG, and noticed that here and there were words I did not understand - say one or two per page.

Reading them in a (paper) book I would just skip over them, and not even notice them. But with the DXG's dictionary it's fun to look them up. Now I even highlight them so I can later recall them.

Avi
Good job!
I'd better follow your good example, as I'm always editing my posts because of ' grammar, grammar, grammar' . (not only grammar but spelling mistakes).

Last edited by desertblues; 10-24-2010 at 10:38 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq View Post

Avi
I'm a Spanish native speaker and I'm in the same boat! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
meatballs
meatballs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Its good even for native English speakers. Have read a lot of words and been able to understand the context of the sentence, but now know what they really mean. Having a tangible definition of ingenuous rather than just thinking 'something to do with being genuine' is great
meatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
English is not my first language, not even my second (I am portuguese) so i did noticed that with a paper book, stopping the reading to look for a meaning of a word did cut the rhythm and pleasure of reading, so as long as the word did not interfere with my understanding of the meaning of the phrase i would skip it. But now with my PRS 350, that does not happen, and i am very pleased with it. I never imagined this could be such a great feature in these devices.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Yeti
Yeti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
You can Tom, and it is quite easy. You can change the Kindle's built-in dictionary to a Spanish dictionary. There is an excellent Spanish dictionary called "Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Translation Dictionary - Kindle Edition" available from Amazon. Once the dictionary is on your Kindle you can change the Kindle's primary dictionary to the new Spanish one. (Press Menu, choose Settings, press Menu again and choose Change Primary Dictionary). Now just find a Spanish book you'd like to read and off you go. I am doing this myself from time to time to improve my Spanish. There may be other "Kindle Edition" dictionaries available too; if anyone knows of a good French one I would like to know.

Last edited by Yeti; 10-24-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
You can Tom, and it is quite easy. You can change the Kindle's built-in dictionary to a Spanish dictionary...
Greate tip, thanks! Now I only have to find an Italian dictionary, and my wife can take over my Kindle
Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #11
Thjan
book addict
Thjan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-650
Say byebye to your Kindle avinatbezeq :P

http://www.amazon.com/English-Italia.../dp/B0034KYT78
http://www.amazon.com/College-Italia.../dp/B003E8AK2S
Thjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thjan View Post
I'm pre-ordeing the italian-english dictionary now.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
The only thing that's missing, besides getting the definition, is that you get the dictionary to pronounce the word for you with the TTS (text to speach) feature. This would be immensely useful.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
This is where I think the kindle can really go beyond simply just being associated with books.

The only issues with a latin based language is the character set is limited. Eventually I think a touch screen might be needed to adapt to Asian character sets.

It really is interesting to see how this can help others.

The odd thing is I kept assuming the applications would be in the high school and college fields. Has anyone attempted to use them in elementary?
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote