Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Angry!

As I said before I've been very happy with the 1.5 firmware on my Cybook, but now it seems that my main bookstore - Fictionwise seem to have dropped secure mobi format.
This means:-
a) some of the books in my bookshelf are no longer available, which means books in the series I haven't yet bought are either not available or only in another format.
b) books in my wishlist are only available now in non mobi format
c) I have $39 in my account that is of little use

This seems to have happened in the last few weeks (my last purchase was a bunch of books in early March which I have jsut finished).

Recommendations please:
I suppose the obvious is to go to V2.0 and epub
I can de-drm all my mobi, then use (calibre?) to convert them
Or will V2 still read non-drm mobi?
Fictionwise seem to have only some titles in epub, I'm guessing that secure pdf is not the same
Will they gradually convert everything to get a full catalogue
who can recommend a better store - assuming I go epub?

Sorry if this has been discussed, not been on here much lately and the search function produced way too much to wade through.
TIA
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider1960 View Post
Recommendations please:
I suppose the obvious is to go to V2.0 and epub
Or will V2 still read non-drm mobi?
Fictionwise seem to have only some titles in epub, I'm guessing that secure pdf is not the same
Will they gradually convert everything to get a full catalogue
who can recommend a better store - assuming I go epub?
V2.0 does not read mobi, DRM or not. But you can switch between 1.5 and 2.0 as many times as you wish (doing the firmware "upgrade" every time).

Secure PDF is not the same as secure ePUB, but if the secure PDF is ADE-compatible (which I don't know), it should work in V2.0. I don't recommend PDF, though.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
That's the way to go.

There has been a lot of mess with the agency model. Lots of books have disappeared, from fictionwise and booksandboard among others.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider1960 View Post
As I said before I've been very happy with the 1.5 firmware on my Cybook, but now it seems that my main bookstore - Fictionwise seem to have dropped secure mobi format.

that's not what I can see on FW, in my bookshelf - everything is as I ordered and stored - all 150 items (at least half are secure)....
you can still buy mobi/prc books ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I've made some progress but now I am in another hole.

Firstly:

@ GeoffC Yeah, my FW bookeshelf is there all the stuff I boughtm fine OK, but for example I have bought most of the Lee Child Jack Reacher books in mobi, and have all those, but if I search FW for Lee Child it now only returns 8 items and none available in mobi. Also a lot of stuff just isnt available in mobi and it's a lottery as to whether any book you choose will be available in epub too.

@ Eowyn Carter. Successfully de drmed neally all of my mobi books, got a couple of errors, will check later, but it might be they weren't actually drm prc files. Coverted to epub in Calibre, rebuilt a libray, edited meta data. Flashed the Cybook to 2.0 and used Calibre to stick it all back in. Mostly OK but I may need to mess with the convertion options, mostly it seems paragraph spacing isn't there making the page look 'busy'.

Now I am finding issues with this whole wretched Adobe thing: Installed ADE, authorised computer and Cybook. Seemed OK, but I don't get a PID like mobi? Anyway downloaded a multiformat book from FW in epub format, that worked fine, imported it into Calibre and sent it to the Cybook.

Then I bought a secure epub book from fw, but this is where I get confused, as I didn't get to put any certificate data in. The file downloaded was with a .acsm extension, so ADE won't import it and of course neither will Calibre. WTF is this all about? How does this whole secure epub work?

This begs loads of questions about how I use this new format. I also notice that my Cybook library now has a folder for digital editions as well as ebooks, does this mean that all the secure books will be kept in a different folder structure?

Finally. I am now pretty fed up with FW, so what recommendations are there for other stores (preferably UK) where I can get a wide selection of epub books.

thanks in advance
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now I am finding issues with this whole wretched Adobe thing: Installed ADE, authorised computer and Cybook. Seemed OK, but I don't get a PID like mobi? Anyway downloaded a multiformat book from FW in epub format, that worked fine, imported it into Calibre and sent it to the Cybook.
No. ADE works by authorizing the device.
I don't really know much on how it works, first thing I did was looking for a way to de-drm to spare myself the annoyance and frustration you're going though.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
Slider1960
Connoisseur

So, came at it with a fresh head this morning and had another go:

Step 1 google .acsm - ah ha, open that file with ADE.
Step 2 open with aDE - result: stoopid io error on network message
Step 3 google that - omg! does this ever work.
Step 4 check client firewall (corp provided) - not the problem
Step 5 check my Internet firewall (ISA Server) - enable special rule that allows EVERYTHING from my laptop
result http GET "http://198.252.232.8/TitleDownload/LSCFD.dll?hdlr=ADEPT&sku=2370002510509&r=200912041 15609" returns "404 Not Found"

Of course I know what 404 means, but from my study so far it seems that maybe there is an authentication issue, or maybe the server is just down. But now I have to go back to the day job.

I used to be so happy with my mobi reader

Last edited by Slider1960; 04-28-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Step 1 google .acsm - ah ha, open that file with ADE.
Step 2 open with aDE - result: stoopid io error on network message
Maybe it is a network error.
Fist thing ADE asks you is to create an adobe account. That will link ADE to account, and book downloaded to account.
Then, you need to register the device, in other words "this device is allowed to open books from account X"
Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Slider1960
Connoisseur

It's all authorised to my email account and I can log on to the adobe site using that account.

It could just be this one book, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend more $ until I have that proved.

I've raised a case with FW and Adobe.........................<waits>
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It won't help until the .acsm is replaced by Desktop Adobe Digital Editions with the actual .epub, but I suggest immediately stripping the DRM once you get an Adobe ePub (I would not even bother authorizing your Cybook for Adobe). DRM always burns you in the end, and there is (most likely) nothing wrong with stripping DRM for personal use of ebooks you bought.

The best single source for up to date DRM info is Apprentice Alf's Blog.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
ET3D
ET3D began at the beginning.

Just read this and now I'm angry as well. The reason is that I just recently ordered an Opus (and haven't received it yet) to be able to read my Mobipocket collection.

Actually, I haven't been able to buy books on Fictionwise for a while now, since the books I want have been restricted to US only since about the time B&N bought them. So I don't get further hurt by this. But it's still annoying that the format died. Those big corporations (Amazon and B&N) kill everything that's good.

BTW, I do have some Secure Mobipocket books which are no longer available in my bookshelf and have been replaced by eReader versions, although this also happened quite a while ago, and was very annoying.
ET3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard

un-drm your mobi and convert them.
ePub is pretty good. DRM , less, but you can get rid of them.

Or, if you REALLY wants to read mobi, you can install 1.5. But as you pointed out, mobi is dying.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Personally, when the book is secured, and not available in Mobipocket format, I buy the Microsoft Reader one, and convert it.
I use the LIT version when in multiformat, too, because I discovered that the mobi/prc one wasn't that great, and I prefer the little work converting LIT to PRC (with ConvertLit, then Mobipocket Creator), than suffer when reading...
I stick to Mobipocket for the dictionaries.
Is it really dying ? If you see Microsoft Reader, this format/software didn't evolved since what ?... 2002 ? Nonetheless, it still lives...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
Slider1960
Connoisseur

Well looks like some progress:

It seems the problem really is an issue with my home firewall, (I won't bore you with the details but you can always look here
http://forums.isaserver.org/m_200210...htm#2002100622 ) which I have partly solved and got my book (plus the one I got refunded for ), but I had to dl to my other laptop, so a bit of work and I have them on my cybook with nicer covers and everything!

Last edited by Slider1960; 05-06-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #15
Slider1960
Connoisseur

Mmm spoke too early: both books look good in Calibre, but when I try to open them in the Cybook after about 5 seconds it reboots (via the grey screen) and back to the last place in the folder list :-(