Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
RKnack
Enthusiast
RKnack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (deceased)
compatibility with REB1100?

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of Calibre. It doesn't want to talk to my REB1100. Is there a way to get Calibre to recognize my reader? Or can I only use it as a converter and have to just use my E-Librarian program to load books onto my REB?

Also, will Calibre work around the dreaded "copy protection" many newer ebooks have? If not, what will? I want to be able to buy ANY e-book, completely on the level, and convert it to .rb format (I don't have the scratch to buy another, more modern reader - my REB was a freebie!)
RKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
ritibelle
ritibelle doesn't litterritibelle doesn't litterritibelle doesn't litter

Device: Reb1100, Reb1200, Ebw1150, Sony 505
Calibre doesn't talk with the reb1100 or the ebookwise.
I'd also enjoy it if it did as the ebookwise is my usual machine.
At least with the reb you can handle the conversion to rb. For the ebookwise the conversion to imp it's not implemented yet.

As for DRM, as far as I know you have to strip the DRM yourself because calibre will not do it for you.
Search around the forum and you'll find hints on how to do it. Most of the formats have been "circumvented" .
ritibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The design of Calibre 0.6 series makes it much easier to add support for new devices. There are some other threads on adding support for new devices that give the commands to run to get output that might help in officially adding support for these devices.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
For getting these devices to be supported I need the output of:

Code:

calibre-debug -d

Once with the device plugged in and detected by your computer and once without.

Also, if you could answer a few questions:

Does the device appear to the computer as a mass storage device, like a tumb drive or external hard disk?

Does the device allow you to put files in subdirectories?

Is there a main (root) directory that ebooks must be under or can you place them anywhere?

Does the device create any supplementary files, these might be called something like book_name.mbp or book_name.dat?

Does the device have some type of database file such as an xml file that holds metadata?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
RKnack
Enthusiast

When my computer auto-detected my REB (I'm running Windows XP), even though none of the accessory drivers for the Ebook were installed, the computer automatically recognized it as "ebook", and not just a generic mass-storage device. However, I had to install the REB1100 drivers and software to get it to work properly. I can place Ebooks anywhere I want to in my computer's file system. And there are no .xml files related to my ebook. No supplementary files are created that I am aware of; any ebooks used on the REB1100 have to be in .rb format.
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKnack View Post
When my computer auto-detected my REB (I'm running Windows XP), even though none of the accessory drivers for the Ebook were installed, the computer automatically recognized it as "ebook", and not just a generic mass-storage device. However, I had to install the REB1100 drivers and software to get it to work properly.
The not just as a mass-storage device part is a bit unclear. Is it recognized as a mass-storage device? E.G. without the drivers can you open the device and copy / paste files onto it?

Also, I can't add any type of support without the output of calibre-debug -d
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
It is definitely not a mass storage device when plugged in. There are two locations for book storage -- memory and SmartMedia card. I don't have mine with me, and I'm at the wrong laptop. If no one answers, I'll do the calibre-debug later tonight.

Someone has made a utility to put books on the device for linux here. I find that it is sometimes buggy when adding a number of books in a row.

m a r

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
For getting these devices to be supported I need the output of:

Code:

calibre-debug -d

Once with the device plugged in and detected by your computer and once without.
Using calibre v0.6.7, I've attached that output with and without the REB1100 and EBW1150. The devices require a USB driver to be installed for:
- Windows/MacOS X available from http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/sup...r_download.htm
- linux available from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28166 or EBookwise-1150-Linux

Quote:
Also, if you could answer a few questions:

Does the device appear to the computer as a mass storage device, like a tumb drive or external hard disk?
No, it doesn't function like a thumb drive, but rather, it communicates via the USB driver and a local proxy server/program.

For the REB1100, the aforementioned Rebcomm is a great source or even a more up-to-date version of same I posted here. Please note that that thread ( Can the EBW1150 be mounted as a usb drive? ) is a nice overview of the stumbling blocks you may encounter...

Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1100-Rebcomm.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	34577

For the EBW1150, a great source of the protocol used to communicate with the device is the python-based Impserve by ashkulz.

In the REB1100's case, it's possible to read and write to the internal memory as well as the external (SmartMedia Card) memory. However, for the EBW1150, the communications is solely based on HTTP GETS and PUTS with no access to internal or external memory directly.

Quote:
Does the device allow you to put files in subdirectories?
No, for the EBW1150, as .imp ebooks transferred to it AUTOMATICALLY get exploded and place in the main directory's 'ebooks' folder as exploded .RES files. For the REB1100, .rb ebook transfers are sent directly to the internal/external memory specified.

Quote:
Is there a main (root) directory that ebooks must be under or can you place them anywhere?
Again, there's no direct placement of ebooks into folders/directories other than by 'sending' them to the unit.

Quote:
Does the device create any supplementary files, these might be called something like book_name.mbp or book_name.dat?
No, for the EBW1150, as any annotations/bookmarks get stored in the exploded .RES folder for .imp ebooks. For the REB1100, the root folder where all the .rb ebooks are kept have a *.AN file that stores ?annotations? and a *.RI file that stores ?index/info?. For example, this is a .RI file's contents:
Code:
BODY=index.html
BYTE=19306
NUM_HTMLS=1
HEADER_CHECKSUM=945375507
and this a .AN file's contents:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<nuvo-annotations rev="1" rocketid="nicrapa56025" pubid="ebook:pub-156-2444">
   <bookmarks>
   </bookmarks>
   <notes>
      <note file="index.html" byte="3137"></note>
   </notes>
   <underlines>
   </underlines>
</nuvo-annotations>
I've never used nor seen these files until just now so may not understand them all that well. But, you have to start somewhere...

Quote:
Does the device have some type of database file such as an xml file that holds metadata?
No, for EBW1150, the metadata is stored in the header (RSRC.INF) of the .RES folder. See the IMP for further inormation, or just ask me.

For the REB1100, the metadata is stored within the .rb ebook in an .info file that can be extracted using the sourceforge rbburst of the rbmake suite of programs.

Food for thought...
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre-REB1100-on.txt (1.0 KB, 400 views)
File Type: txt calibre-REB1100-off.txt (1,021 Bytes, 301 views)
File Type: txt calibre-EBW1150-on.txt (1.0 KB, 312 views)
File Type: txt calibre-EBW1150-off.txt (1,021 Bytes, 246 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-21-2009 at 12:24 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Wow!

That blew away any answer I might have given.

Absolutely rocked! More answers like this please, universe!

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
ritibelle

After nrapallo's very complete answer I don't know if this is relevant or not but here it goes:

For the ebw1150, both for conversions and communication, there is also a program called GEB eBook Librarian (http://breeno.org/eBook/). There is a trial version if you want to test it and the developer was very helpful when I contacted him about some troubles I was having, so maybe he might be willing to help out, or at least answer some questions.

For the reb1100 I use Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/) with the reb1100 plugin (http://www.turtleblast.com/files/tc_reb1100.zip) which lets me handle my reb1100 almost like an external drive and drag and drop books to the reader.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritibelle View Post
For the reb1100 I use Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/) with the reb1100 plugin (http://www.turtleblast.com/files/tc_reb1100.zip) which lets me handle my reb1100 almost like an external drive and drag and drop books to the reader.

I hope this helps.
I've tried that software+plugin before but couldn't get it to work by just installing the programs I downloaded. Do you have to register the software before it works?

Have you actually used it with the REB1100? If so, how do you make it use/display the REB1100's memory? step-by-step, please. I hate being unfamiliar and need my hand held when confronted with same.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
ritibelle

I didn't have to register the software for it to work.
Are you on which OS? XP?
I don't have my reb1100 with me at the moment but I'll get you a step-by-step tutorial as soon as I get home.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritibelle View Post
I didn't have to register the software for it to work.
Are you on which OS? XP?
I don't have my reb1100 with me at the moment but I'll get you a step-by-step tutorial as soon as I get home.
Thanks! Yes, I'm using WinXP SP3 (on the same Windows clone 2.0 GHz single-threaded CPU since 2002). It has and still does serve me well.

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-21-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
ritibelle

I wasn't sure how I got it to work so decided to do everything on an old computer I never had used the reb1100 on, so here it is:

Install Total Commander
Install the plugin (configuration, plugins, wfx plugins, add, reb1100.wfx)
Then I started the software and pluged in the reb1100 and got that lovely windows message saying that a new hardware was detected.
If you use your reb1100 on that computer you probably don't need this but for someone who's reading this and wondering how to install the reb1100, you need the driver for it. I found the driver here: http://iamnota.net/reb:reb-1100. Inside the zip you'll also find the eBookLibrarian installer.
So now when you open Total Commander click on the button with 3 computers and a \ sign and you'll see your ebooks inside your reb1100.
From here you can copy ebooks to and from the reb1100 as well as deleting them.
I don't know if I explained well enough, but I'm always ready to hold your hand if you need it!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #15
RKnack
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The not just as a mass-storage device part is a bit unclear. Is it recognized as a mass-storage device? E.G. without the drivers can you open the device and copy / paste files onto it?

Also, I can't add any type of support without the output of calibre-debug -d
Looks like some good folks who are MUCH more knowledgeable than I have answered, much better than I could. I am still VERY new to my reader (and ebooks in general), so I'm still learning all the ins-and-outs. I just want to be able to buy new ebooks and convert them to use in my REB, rather than having to rely completely on public domain stuff.