Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wizards of the Coast pulls PDFs from Paizo

Wizard of the Coast has pulled all its PDFs from the on-line PDF e-tailer Paizo. Customers who have purchased Paizo WotC PDFs need to download them before noon on April 7th or they'll be gone forever.

http://www.teleread.org/2009/04/06/w...fs-from-paizo/
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
It appears to be a move designed to close in on version 3.5 retailers and bring home sales of D&D PDF products to disintermediate (I've been waiting weeks to use that!) retailers like Paizo and rpgnow.com, rather than as they've stated elsewhere, a move against pirates.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: Turns out that it's not a disagreement between Paizo and WotC after all. WotC has decided to stop selling PDFs on-line altogether, citing piracy concerns. They've also filed suit against 8 people for uploading the PHB2 onto peer-to-peer networks.

As I point out in the link below, this makes about as much sense as Rowling's famous piracy-driven refusal to authorize Harry Potter e-book sales.

http://www.teleread.org/2009/04/07/w...right-lawsuit/
Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I think this is pretty dumb move by Wotc.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Who are "Wizards of the Coast"? A publisher? I have to confess that I haven't come across them personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

They're a company that came out with a little card game called Magic: The Gathering, that a few people played. Then they bought TSR—the folks who did a little game called Dungeons and Dragons that a few people here and there play.

Then Hasbro bought them, and it's been downhill ever since.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I used to be a big fan of D&D in my student days, but haven't kept up with the RPG field for the last 20-odd years. They obviously post-date my involvement in it.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The players I know who illegally download do it as a way of previewing the books before they buy, because it's the kind of thing that can be tough to flip through in the store and really get a sense of.

I don't know how common this was, but around here the advance leak of the 4th edition Player's Handbook stirred up a lot of interest and reminded people that the first books were coming out soon. I've got friends who were really against the idea of a new edition, but decided to go ahead and buy the core books after looking through that leaked PDF.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks. I used to be a big fan of D&D in my student days, but haven't kept up with the RPG field for the last 20-odd years. They obviously post-date my involvement in it.
They existed then, but just hadn't "made it big," yet.

For reference sake, I haven't bought a D&D book in 20 years, but I still have a RPG collection about the size of the D&D catalog (more than 200 books + my PDF collection) due to the number of other RPG's out there.

And I'm still of the notion that "anti-piracy" excuse is a pile of monkey-poo. This is entirely about market control. Wizards/Hasbro wants to be able to control who sells what rpg and has introduced a new online sales policy with what appear to be some significant anti-competitive intent behind it to achieve that control.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

Folks might be interested to know that White Wolf is offering a PDF of Exalted 2nd Ed. free for the next several days.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Somewhere I still have my spiral-bound edition of Gygax's "Chainmail" miniature battle rules that started most of this.

WoTC should never have offered digital versions if they wanted that much control.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Somewhere I still have my spiral-bound edition of Gygax's "Chainmail" miniature battle rules that started most of this.

WoTC should never have offered digital versions if they wanted that much control.
the copys on the ptp site are not even the ones they sell from what I understand. they are just copys of the books.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

Yeah. Because you'd have to be some kind of stupid to put a sold copy watermarked with your name out there on peer-to-peer.

Though I don't doubt some people may have done just that. Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
They're a company that came out with a little card game called Magic: The Gathering, that a few people played. Then they bought TSR—the folks who did a little game called Dungeons and Dragons that a few people here and there play.

Then Hasbro bought them, and it's been downhill ever since.
It's very hard to decide if WOTC is more evil or more stupid since they were bought by Hasbro. They've just about managed to kill off their product lines by practicing planned obsolescence, killed Dragon Magazine by digitizing it, then damaged their product lines by digitizing them.

It is absolutely correct that the pirated versions are just scanned. I bought quite a few pdf's on RPG Now, and (Unlike Paizo) I didn't get advanced knowledge so I could make sure I had copies of all my purchases in order. Just one more time I've been screwed over by this short-sited and uncaring company.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How did digitizing "Dragon" kill it, as a matter of interest? Weren't people interested in a digital version, or do you mean that piracy killed it?