Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
Is the Aura more durable that non glow e ink screens?

Kobo claims that Aura is more durable than other ereaders:

"rest assured that your eReader's screen is durable in the face of scratches and drops. In fact, in a 360º product test, Kobo Aura HD was proven to have the most durable E Ink eReader screen.*"

However! Is that in comparison to all e ink screens or only the ones with the light, since screens with a light are less durable than those without? Basically- is the Aura HD more or less durable than the Kobo Touch or the Nook Simple Touch?
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The only way to know if Kobo is telling the truth (and I suspect they are ) might be to see the actual test results. The Aura screen feels different than my other Kobo devices. Somehow, less plasticky. I don't know if they are using a hardened material, or what is actually going on.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
It's not so much that the screens with the glow light layer are less durable, but that they show minor damage much more visibly when the light is on. The glow light layer is basically a light pipe. Any place the thickness of the layer varies, you will see a variation in the light brightness. Damage from external pressure in a point or line pattern is highly visible. The 1st-gen Nook Glow suffered from this problem. These screens really need a special hard layer on top to prevent damage, but every extra layer decreases the screen contrast, so it's a challenge.

I'm not about to test the durability of the Aura screen myself, but to my eye the contrast looks exactly the same as my Touch. However the surface seems a bit smoother than the Touch, and there is a little bit more glare from reflected light.

Last edited by FJames; 05-02-2013 at 10:28 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Read this thread, a few people said the dead light hole already appeared. In the past, KOBO Glo suffer less than Nook Glowlight, but Aura HD is so new, we'll see.
Anybody have to return their Aura ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211825
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Read this thread, a few people said the dead light hole already appeared. In the past, KOBO Glo suffer less than Nook Glowlight, but Aura HD is so new, we'll see.
Anybody have to return their Aura ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211825
But it seems like those aren't due to damage, but are defects that were there all along.

Hoping for the best! I did wind up ordering a sleeve, which I haven't done for my nook touch. Now I'm just hoping that it's not too slippery in my hands.
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
The Kobo Glo's lightlayer is not on top, there is another protective layer above it. My father managed to scratch his glo, and the scratch actually is not visible in the dark with activated light.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by domani7 View Post
But it seems like those aren't due to damage, but are defects that were there all along.
For the Glo, they were manufacturing defects and were there when the light was first turned on. I haven't heard of a bright spot appearing on after a period of use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
ewphoenix123,

Well, that sounds like good news for the rest of us with a Glo -sorry about your Dad getting a scratch though.

Hopefully something we'll never need to know, but good to know if it happens that the protective layer that Kobo touted(well SameerH referred to it once when people were asking how Kobo's implementation differed from others), and likely makes the Glo screen seem a bit rough, works!

I continue to think the Glo is a nice piece of hardware!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote