Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
babyz
babyz began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
help recovering my library

Hello I recently had a virus on my computer but was able to go through safe mode and find an antivirus program that would delete the virus. Once I got my computer working I got onto calibre and found that all of my books are gone. Does anyone know how I could find my books and get them back? I have about 400 books on there. I am not a computer savy person so please help in lamen terms. thnx and love the site.
babyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Now that's a new one. I've never heard of an ebook-eating virus. *is scared* Excuse me while I update my virus definitions.

Anyway, the first thing you should do is look with your file manager (I'd guess that would be Windows Explorer since you've had virus problems) and see if your ebook files are where you thought you left them. Checking the recycle bin would also be good. If you know the filenames of some of your ebooks, do a file search for them. If the files are physically there, you can just re-import them, though you'll probably have lost your metadata.

Well, actually thevery first thing you should do is have this moved over to the calibre support forum (it's down the board a ways). That's where the calibre gurus hang out. I'll ask the mods to move it, so it's in front of the experts as quickly as possible. I'm not a calibre guru, just a user, so someone may have an answer to this along the lines of "frob the thingamagummy and the whatchamacallit" that will recover the metadata too (and they're good at translating from techie to layman).

If your problem can be fixed, someone here will probably know how to fix it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyz View Post
Hello I recently had a virus on my computer but was able to go through safe mode and find an antivirus program that would delete the virus. Once I got my computer working I got onto calibre and found that all of my books are gone. Does anyone know how I could find my books and get them back? I have about 400 books on there. I am not a computer savy person so please help in lamen terms. thnx and love the site.
I can't help much with recovery, but if you do get them back, I suggest backing up your hard drive. Use one of the online services or buy an external drive. Heck, just get a small flash drive and back up your books to that!

Good luck!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
babyz
babyz began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
thanks and I will do exactly that.
babyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
My first question is whether or not the book files have actually been deleted - or has Calibre somehow been corrupted to where it just can't find the book files.

We're talking a PC, right? Open up your Windows Explorer and look to see if the books are actually there. Mine are stored under My Media then a folder for each author then a file for each book, but I can't remember if that was the default.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My library is on Dropbox, so I don't have to worry about any or all of my computers going blue screen on me.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Look for a folder called "Calibre library", that's where your ebooks should be. At least that's how it is on my Mac, but I think it should be the same on Windows.

Hope this helps
Florence
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In XP, you could also try

1) Start->Documents
2) right click on an ebook and click on properties

This will give you the path to the book.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I'm curious as to why you would start an identical thread 2 days in a row. I already answered you in your post yesterday.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85430
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
While there is probably no virus that eats ebooks only, there are some that modify all files by appending something to them. .jpg and .pdf are susceptable and many others.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I'm curious as to why you would start an identical thread 2 days in a row. I already answered you in your post yesterday.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85430
She created this thread 28 minutes before the thread you answered. Must have had either a computer or brain hiccup.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Wait, are all the books still on your reader? Couldn't you just copy them back to your pc?
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
try restore

If you are on windows you can also try to restore using previous version.

Goto to the directory where the books were stored and right click, select properties and goto previous versions. I was able to restore my library when I lost everything.

Good Luck!
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote