Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Fackerman
Fackerman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Produced ePub from ZIP(html), seen as blank pages in KoboTouch

First of all, a quick hello as I am new to the forums which have provided endless support for my mobilereading needs which I am very grateful for.

Anyway here is my little problem.

I converted a CHM files to html which went as planned using CHMdecoder. I then changed the index.html to a TOC format that Calibre would like (seen in the Calibre FAQ) i.e.
<html>
<body>
<h1>Table of Contents</h1>
<p style="text-indent:0pt">
<a href="file1.html">First File</a><br/>
<a href="file2.html">Second File</a><br/>
</body>
</html>

I then converted the ZIP in calibre 0.8.62 to epub for my kobo, checking a few options only to remove page breaks, insert a line between breaks, linearise tables etc.

The file converts fine and looks beautiful in the epub reader in calibre with page mode, but when I move it to my Kobo something odd happens.

The first few pages containing the TOC are visible, but all of the pages for the main text open fine, but are completely blank.

I'm a little stumped as to what is going on, any ideas would be appreciated.

Fackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have had something like this on my Kobo Touch where I modified an epub and made an error on in the xml code. The calibre read was fine with it, but the Kobo Touch didn't show anything from that point on for each file in the epub. But, I haven't seen the result of a conversion leave an error like this. You could try opening it in Sigil to see if it finds any errors.

Another possibility is the colour choose on some styles. If the text isn't simply black and white text, it's possible the Kobo is making it white on white. A quick test for this would be to try and highlight some text on the Kobo by holding you finger where you think there should be some text. If the highlighting menu comes up, you will see how long the word it thinks it found was and either the dictionary lookup or saving an annotation will show what was selected.

Other than that, I can't think of anything. Is there any chance we can get a look at the file to see what it looks like?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote