Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Holtor
Holtor began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Removed phone.apk

For whatever reason Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk were running on my rooted PRS-T1 and ate up almost all of the battery (as "cell standby" or something like that). I renamed both and successfully got rid of the processes. Now most Android guides strongly advice against removing these two apps because they are deeply connected to Android's inner working. Has anyone had any side effects when getting rid of them?

Has everyone else these apps taking 95% of the battery power? I did not pay close attention to when exactly they started running...maybe they run all the time even on an unrooted T!, maybe they got onto my system with Android Market, I do not know.

I should add that immediatly after renaming phone.apk, the reader starts a loop with annoying crash messages, but after holding the power button to restart (and quickly clicking the error messages away to get to the restart field) it was ok.

Last edited by Holtor; 01-29-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Holtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
I'm not sure if these apps _really_ take that much battery power!

The item is named "cell standby". But maybe this just means that most of the power is consumed in standby mode of the device which is good because this mode consumes nearly no power.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
But I've heard many similar tales of T1 battery being drained awfully fast because of cell standby/phone idle on another ebook user forum. The solution they share is to rename Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk to .apk.old (or something like that) and reboot. I'm also curious how come the unrooted T1 doesn't seem to be affected, and if this could be prevented from the beginning of rooting. My T1 is unrooted now, partially because of the battery drain issue many were complaining about.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Holtor

Well, before I renamed phone.apk, the power consumption (in the ADWlauncher prefs) always showed about 95% "cell standby" and 1% something else (which I forgot). Since then it shows a multitude of apps which I actually used, among them "display". I guess these were not shown before because they used far less power than "cell standby", and thus "cell standby" really did consume a lot of power.

Right now the power consumption info shows
"phone inactive" 91%
"display" 7%
"com.sony.drbd.ebook.contentmanagement" 2%

(no idea what the last one is doing, maybe it checks for new books on the sdcard?).
Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtor View Post
Well, before I renamed phone.apk, the power consumption (in the ADWlauncher prefs) always showed about 95% "cell standby" and 1% something else (which I forgot). Since then it shows a multitude of apps which I actually used, among them "display". I guess these were not shown before because they used far less power than "cell standby", and thus "cell standby" really did consume a lot of power.

Right now the power consumption info shows
"phone inactive" 91%
"display" 7%
"com.sony.drbd.ebook.contentmanagement" 2%

(no idea what the last one is doing, maybe it checks for new books on the sdcard?).
The right question is: And now, does your battery last longer?

I really don't know because I've deleted phone, bluetooth, demos and wallpapers from the day one...
j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Googling "delete phone.apk" finds a few forums suggesting leaving the device in airplane mode (although they were talking about phones). Think that would make a difference?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Googling "delete phone.apk" finds a few forums suggesting leaving the device in airplane mode (although they were talking about phones). Think that would make a difference?
Yes, I think so...

I "think" our device doesn't have a Radio, hence does not have a real airplane mode.

What do you think takes less energy... a TV in stanby mode (airplane mode) or a TV switched off?

I think that, as we have no radio, energy consumed must be "almost" the same... being the difference, the amount of memory and "hard disk" space wasted by the phone application (apk + odex + dalvik + preferences), plus a bit more of energy consumed by itself

j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
goldencore
Enthusiast
goldencore began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 FW 5.4.5.1 (JB)
If you set Airplane mode on a rooted T1 it doesn't stay in it when you go to standby and back. That's what I've noticed.

Any side effects yet after removing phone.apk? I was thinking about doing that myself.
goldencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Holtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencore View Post
If you set Airplane mode on a rooted T1 it doesn't stay in it when you go to standby and back. That's what I've noticed.
Yes, Airplane mode is not selectable. The checkbox stays gray, the settings are not saved at all; when you check it, leave the prefs and return right back to them, Airplane mode is unchecked.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Dark Morelia
Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Dark Morelia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I removed both Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk with Titanium backupa few days ago. I did get the FC loop upon removing Phone.apk as Holtor describes, but after rebooting, everything's been running fine since.
Dark Morelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Confirmed. Removing that crap seems to be safe.

Did not face any incompatibilities with any app.

Call settings is now grayed out in Settings app.

I just wonder if there are apps on the market that will not install because they somewhat have phone api as requirement...
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #12
rubentje1991
Enthusiast
rubentje1991 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Already some indications on (longer) battery life?
rubentje1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
I removed Phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk two days ago. So far, I've not seen a percentage drop. Though, as of right now, claims of a longer battery life are inconclusive. If my PRS-T1 still has greater than 80% on the fourth or fifth day on the battery, then I would have to say that removing the .apk's in questions does the trick.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
rubentje1991
Enthusiast
rubentje1991 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
I removed Phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk two days ago. So far, I've not seen a percentage drop. Though, as of right now, claims of a longer battery life are inconclusive. If my PRS-T1 still has greater than 80% on the fourth or fifth day on the battery, then I would have to say that removing the .apk's in questions does the trick.
The tests are taking too long.... that itself already indicates something
Thanks for the reply
rubentje1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
Holtor

I do not really know how long the battery lasted before, but since the deletion of these apps it lasted about 10 days. Which IMHO is not exactly spactacular for maybe 1 hour reading ebooks per day and sleep mode for the rest of the time.

Oh yes, and it froze two times, which always seemed to cost quite a bit of energy.

Last edited by Holtor; 02-11-2012 at 04:49 AM.