Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
VanPersie
VanPersie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Missing several lines in converted Epubs

Hi all,

I've been having trouble viewing epubs on my Sony PRS 505. Whether I convert them with Sigil or Calibre, I get one of two problems:

1) when viewing at Small size, everything's fine, but when I increase the font to Medium, the text is missing several lines of text (only the top 1/3 of the screen has text, the rest of the screen is blank).

2) I get the same problem at all sizes. Some text at the top, but the rest of the screen is blank and missing several lines.

This only happens for epubs where I'm changing the fonts (either with @font-face rules or with a hack).The epubs display correctly on both Sigil and the Ebook Library, which is why I'm thinking the problem might be with my reader. I'm using Pepak's Replace Default Epub Fonts hack at the moment, as well as PRSCustomizer, but I've been having that problem even before I installed them.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my userStyle.css:
Code:
 @font-face { font-family: "Linux Libertine"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal, small-caps; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LinuxLibertine_Roman.ttf); }
   @font-face { font-family: "Linux Libertine"; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal, small-caps; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LinuxLibertine_Bold.ttf); }
   @font-face { font-family: "Linux Libertine"; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; font-variant: normal, small-caps; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LinLibertine_It-4.0_.3_.ttf); }
   @font-face { font-family: "Linux Libertine"; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; font-variant: normal, small-caps; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LinuxLibertine_BdItl.ttf); }
   @font-face { font-family: "EuroSansPro"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal, small-caps; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/EuroSansPro-Reg.otf); }

html, body { font-family: "Linux Libertine", serif ; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 2pt; margin-right: 1pt; margin-top: 0;}
   p { line-height: 1.1em; font-size: 1em; text-indent: 1.1em; }
   i { font-style: italic; }
   h1 {font-family: "EuroSansPro", sans-serif; font-weight: normal; }
   h2 {font-family: "EuroSansPro", sans-serif; font-weight: normal; }

I've also attached scans from my reader, the first three pages of a converted epub to illustrate the issue. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page1.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	571.6 KB
ID:	50455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Page2.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	50456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Page3.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	552.4 KB
ID:	50457  
VanPersie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I've only had this with one book and the temporary fix I found (wanted to read the book) was to keep swapping the damn zoom levels... what was missing in one level would show in another. I assume something went wrong in the epub formatting but haven't had the time to check (or the inclination) as it was a one-off for me but sounds like there may be a problem here... try changing from epub to epub or lrf and back to epub using calibre and see if that helps.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This happened in one of the books that I'd created myself. It turned out to be caused by errors (incorrectly nested tags) in the HTML. Sony are using a very early version of the ADE ePub viewer in all their Reader models except the latest (the PRS-900), and it's not as robust when it comes to error handling, as the more recent versions found on most other eBook readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
VanPersie
VanPersie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thanks for the input guys. I've checked the html file multiple times, it's clean (even did HTML-Tidy).

I've tried the epub-to-epub conversion, but it doesn't fix the problem. LRF files don't show that problem at all.

For the ones that only work at Small-size, the text is too small for me to read it comfortably, and when I tried to increase the font-size, it gives me the blank screens at all zoom-levels.

I've attached a test-epub file that's giving me the same problem, could anyone try it on their reader see if it's displaying normally? Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test-File.epub (11.1 KB, 254 views)
VanPersie is offline   Reply With Quote