Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Cygwin uses Linux style of directory listings. So your c:\ becomes /cygdrive/c/ and so on.

However as porkupan has said — just following some directions blindly without understanding what you're doing is a very dangerous path to take and can very easily produce a very expensive doorstop...

Last edited by dmapr; 02-08-2010 at 04:45 PM.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
iranvest
iranvest began at the beginning.

Device: sony
thanks very much for advices,

i know it is dangerous but i need this reader to read texts in my language,i dont know why a reader with Sony barnd just supports english.even chinese models have better support.if i cant read the books of my language it is not good for me.reading just PDF in a 5 inch screen is not possible.

i did changes at command.i writed this command:

cramfsck -x /cygdrive/c/opt /cygdrive/c/new_opt.300.img

it made the folder opt at drive c but it is empty and also an error message:
utime failed: /cygdrive/c/opt/: invalid argument
th picture:

may be i should forget making changes.and even reading on this device.
iranvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
You should play in the local directory:
Code:
cramfsck -x ./opt /cygdrive/c/new_opt.300.img
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
iranvest

thanks very much porkupan and dmapr,

i tried your new command code:

but again the same error: invalid argument
picture:

thanks so much.but as you said i am not expert and i cant extract this file.better to forget it.i wont use my reader.

sorry for the questions and thanks for the time.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
you should enter the folder of cramfsck ,and where is cramfsck.exe?
but i cannot unpack the IMG ,too
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like you don't have write privileges in this directory where you are trying to unpack new_opt.300.img. This is some wickedness of newer versions on Cygwin, they started messing with permissions, and they don't do it right somehow.

Just remove the opt directory, and change permissions for the local dir:
chmod a+rw .

Then it should unpack.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 AM   #22
iranvest

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Looks like you don't have write privileges in this directory where you are trying to unpack new_opt.300.img. This is some wickedness of newer versions on Cygwin, they started messing with permissions, and they don't do it right somehow.

Just remove the opt directory, and change permissions for the local dir:
chmod a+rw .

Then it should unpack.
dear Porkuoan,

i removed the opt directory ,then i used your command:
Code:
chmod a+rw .
then i used the cramfsck command:
Code:
it made the opt directory again but i got the error again.
utime faild ./opt: Invalid argument
picture:

!!!
is it my wrong action or something else?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #23
porkupan
Fanatic

Well, don't know, it works for me. Try a real Linux system, maybe you will have better luck there.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #24
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Well, don't know, it works for me. Try a real Linux system, maybe you will have better luck there.
I'll second the suggestion. Check out http://www.pendrivelinux.com for an easy way to set yourself up with Linux — assuming your computer supports booting from USB devices, which almost all of the modern ones do.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #25
trout
Enthusiast
trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
I have the clock ,left the reader on last night and noticed that it had consumed a large amount of battery power,presumably due to clock up dating.
trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #26
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout View Post
I have the clock ,left the reader on last night and noticed that it had consumed a large amount of battery power,presumably due to clock up dating.
Once again I suggest you make sure you are not using am/pm-tick or 24-tick option of the clock, but the regular am/pm or 24. The "tick" clock doesn't let the reader sleep between page turns, so it eats up the battery quite quickly.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #27
trout
Enthusiast
trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Quote:
Once again I suggest you make sure you are not using am/pm-tick or 24-tick option of the clock, but the regular am/pm or 24. The "tick" clock doesn't let the reader sleep between page turns, so it eats up the battery quite quickly.
Many thanks got it sorted
trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #28
iranvest

thank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I'll second the suggestion. Check out http://www.pendrivelinux.com for an easy way to set yourself up with Linux — assuming your computer supports booting from USB devices, which almost all of the modern ones do.
thanks so much,i will try that too later.

and so thanks porkupan too for helps,
Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #29
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur
Xaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1
What is supposed to happen at your step 10?

I'm running the boroda firmware 1.05d. On an SD card I've done the following:
1) created test
2) in test I put everything from the test-flash and test-autorun
3) created /Sony Reader/software/autorun.xml
4) turned on the reader, waited until it got to the home screen
5) press home and vol+ buttons together
6) while still pressing, insert SD card
7) testing menu shows up, I release vol+ and home
8) I press the zoom button (the one with the little looking glass with a + in it)

Result? next to "1 of 2" a circle with a line across it appears, like a "no entry sign": http://www.michaelis.uct.ac.za/images/no_entry.gif

Nothing else happens. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budalb View Post
6) To be safe, I didn't flash this image file. Instead I flashed the original russian image (see instruction in the link of my original post). After flashing, the directory "test" in sony reader is deleted by flash script. Recopy "test" to the reader and reboot. Now the autorun hack is ready.

7) replace new_opt.600.img and new_opt.600.md5 in "test" with the modified image and md5 files.

8) in SD card make an empty file "Sony Reader/software/autorun.xml"

9) hold MENU button and Vol + at the same time, then insert SD card till the testing menu shows up. release buttons.

10) press "ZOOM" button to load test FW. If successfull, the new image files are good. You can do the regular flash. For me, the image file is too big since the chinese fonts files I added are too big. This is the reason to be safe.
Xaphiosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #30
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Just a tip: VirtualBox (from Sun Microsystems) is free and quite lightweight.

Last edited by kartu; 04-14-2010 at 03:42 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote