Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #1
HybridWolf
HybridWolf began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
Angry Kindle KCB to Word???

I read that I can use Calibre + Plugins to do this? Kindle Create is a great tool but the mistake I originally made was using Kindle Create exclusively to write some books. What I did not realize at the time was that now I am unable to copy/paste from Kindle Create to Word (or any other document) without completely losing all formatting.

I need to convert a KCB file to MS Word ASAP

Thanks!
HybridWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:36 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You can use calibre to convert your Kindle Create document to Word DOCX format if you install the optional KFX Input plugin. You will need to use the "publish" function of Kindle Create to produce a KPF file and import that for conversion.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2019, 01:13 AM   #3
HybridWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You can use calibre to convert your Kindle Create document to Word DOCX format if you install the optional KFX Input plugin. You will need to use the "publish" function of Kindle Create to produce a KPF file and import that for conversion.
Which plug-in exactly?

Thank you
Old 11-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
HybridWolf

Quote:
When I try to Convert KPF to DOCX this is the error:

calibre, version 4.4.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Revenge of the Witch ITALICS</b><br><br>Exception(u"Unexpected Ion symbols used: $46\nConflicting margin properties: (u'text-indent': u'3%%', u'line-height': u'1lh', u'font-size': u'0.92rem', u'-kfx-style-name': u'F4', u'margin': u'0', u'margin-bottom': u'0.434783lh')",)</p>

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by HybridWolf; 11-23-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridWolf View Post
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Revenge of the Witch ITALICS</b><br><br>Exception(u"Unexpected Ion symbols used: $46\nConflicting margin properties: (u'text-indent': u'3%%', u'line-height': u'1lh', u'font-size': u'0.92rem', u'-kfx-style-name': u'F4', u'margin': u'0', u'margin-bottom': u'0.434783lh')",)
In order to convert this book you can select the option "Allow conversion to complete even if errors are detected" in the "KFX Input" tab of the conversion dialog. In this case it should convert properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridWolf View Post
Am I doing something wrong?
There is formatting in your KPF file that was not seen before so the plugin reported it. It is nothing you did wrong.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
HybridWolf

Quote:
In order to convert this book you can select the option "Allow conversion to complete even if errors are detected" in the "KFX Input" tab of the conversion dialog. In this case it should convert properly.

There is formatting in your KPF file that was not seen before so the plugin reported it. It is nothing you did wrong.
I think this worked!
Old 11-23-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
fcgiii
fcgiii began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I just installed Calibre and do not see how to install the KFX plug-in
fcgiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
I just installed Calibre and do not see how to install the KFX plug-in
Preferences: Get plugins: <status choice>
Will install any (MR) indexed plugin .

Other plugins are installed (ore removed) via
Preferences: Plugins: (the buttons are at the bottom)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
SvobodaT
SvobodaT began at the beginning.

Device: Sigil on Windows etc
Exclamation My small contribution

I was trying to solve this same problem and came across an interesting clue:
The KPF file is just a renamed ZIP archive.
So if we change the extension from KPF to ZIP we can open it with the standard Windows "compressed file" mechanism and look inside. In my case I found inside a complete DOCX file from which the KPF was formed.
Unfortunately the DOCX file does not reflect any changes that were typed in the Kindle Create SW.
SvobodaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:33 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvobodaT View Post
I was trying to solve this same problem and came across an interesting clue:
The KPF file is just a renamed ZIP archive.
So if we change the extension from KPF to ZIP we can open it with the standard Windows "compressed file" mechanism and look inside. In my case I found inside a complete DOCX file from which the KPF was formed.
Unfortunately the DOCX file does not reflect any changes that were typed in the Kindle Create SW.
Not to necropost, but:

YES, which is why you have to follow the instructions in this thread and NOT "just" unzip the KPF archive.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote