Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ummm... No.

I've been reading, writing, programming and absorbing knowledge from every conceivable source for so long that I can usually determine a strange word's meaning from context. It helps that I was always really, really GOOD with words and definitions.

Derek
hm, i'm good with words and definitions too, and it's true i can also often deduce the meaning of a word without looking it up. but i still like dictionaries. sometimes i like to just page through them for fun and see what crazy words i come accross that i have never seen before.

also, there is the game "dictionary" : two or more people play, one chooses a word from the dictionary and reads the definition, and the others must guess the word. i love that game. (i know, i'm a nerd. please don't mock me.)
Old 04-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #32
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Speaking as an ignorant dunderhead
How much "digital room" would a *decent* dictionary typically take up on an e-book device? I think it would be fantastic to be able to hi-lite or mark a word and then look it up with the press of a key. It would be a terrific selling point for an e-book device.
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #33
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Speaking as an ignorant dunderhead
How much "digital room" would a *decent* dictionary typically take up on an e-book device? I think it would be fantastic to be able to hi-lite or mark a word and then look it up with the press of a key. It would be a terrific selling point for an e-book device.
Ummm... Mobipocket dictionaries work pretty much that way on the Cybook.

Derek
Old 04-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #34
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(i know, i'm a nerd. please don't mock me.)

No Ma'am! I have no intention of mocking you. (Backing away slooooowly, maintaining eye contact, but with head tilted down in a submissive posture, and attempting to not show fear.)

Derek
Old 04-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ummm... Mobipocket dictionaries work pretty much that way on the Cybook.

Derek
...and on the eb1150...
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #36
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
No Ma'am! I have no intention of mocking you. (Backing away slooooowly, maintaining eye contact, but with head tilted down in a submissive posture, and attempting to not show fear.)

Derek
well all right then.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #37
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
...and on the eb1150...
...I told you I was a dunderheadI'm also too lazy to research the answer myself, when there are a number of fine minds in here to leech of off...
But how much room does a decent dictionary take up? Equivalent to one typical e-book novel? Five? Fifty? And is there already something available for the Sony PRS-500/505? Free? Payware?

Thanks! Tim
Old 04-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #38
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
...I told you I was a dunderheadI'm also too lazy to research the answer myself, when there are a number of fine minds in here to leech of off...
But how much room does a decent dictionary take up? Equivalent to one typical e-book novel? Five? Fifty? And is there already something available for the Sony PRS-500/505? Free? Payware?

Thanks! Tim
the Webster's eDictionary ver. 2.0 which came pre-installed on my eb1150 takes up 6% of my "bookshelf" (that's what they call the memory card). i should mention, my bookshelf has an awe-inspiring capacity of 64 mo. that's right, SIXTY-FOUR !!! yeah baby. you'll have to do the maths to figure out what 6% of 64mo is, as i am *also* quite lazy sometimes.

[EDIT : oh, and i should mention, even long books rarely take up more than 1%. Mansfield Park with several full-screen illustrations takes up around 4%. I currently have 95 books on my bookshelf with 4.7 mo (7%) free. hey ! look at that ! now we know that the 6% the dictionary takes up is less than 4.7mo. no brain work required. nice !]

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 04-13-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #39
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
the Webster's eDictionary ver. 2.0 which came pre-installed on my eb1150 takes up 6% of my "bookshelf" (that's what they call the memory card). i should mention, my bookshelf has an awe-inspiring capacity of 64 mo. that's right, SIXTY-FOUR !!! yeah baby. you'll have to do the maths to figure out what 6% of 64mo is, as i am *also* quite lazy sometimes.

[EDIT : oh, and i should mention, even long books rarely take up more than 1%. Mansfield Park with several full-screen illustrations takes up around 4%. I currently have 95 books on my bookshelf with 4.7 mo (7%) free. hey ! look at that ! now we know that the 6% the dictionary takes up is less than 4.7mo. no brain work required. nice !]
64 "Mos"? So what would that be in "Sheps" or "Curlys"? Seriously, what's a "mo"?

Derek
Old 04-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #40
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
64 "Mos"? So what would that be in "Sheps" or "Curlys"? Seriously, what's a "mo"?

Derek
erm.. a MegaOctet... sorry, i'm in such a habit of writing "Mo" that i forget in english you write Mb (mega byte)... oops !

[EDIT and what is a sheps or curlys ???]
Old 04-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #41
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
erm.. a MegaOctet... sorry, i'm in such a habit of writing "Mo" that i forget in english you write Mb (mega byte)... oops !

Well, to be precise, there's Larry, Curly and Moe in one group. She(m)p (I always forget it's spelled 'shemp') belongs to another interation. The complete list of "The Three Stooges" is:

There were always just three stooges at a time.
Moe Howard
Born: June 19, 1897
Died: May 4, 1975
Stooge years: 1922, 1926, 1929-1970

Larry Fine
Born: October 5, 1902
Died: January 24, 1975
Stooge years: 1925-1926, 1929-1970

Curly Howard
Born: October 22, 1903
Died: January 18, 1952
Stooge years: 1934-1946

Shemp Howard
Born: March 4, 1895
Died: November 22, 1955
Stooge years: 1922-1925, 1929-1932, 1947-1955

Joe Besser
Born: August 12, 1907
Died: March 1, 1988
Stooge years: 1957-1959

Curly-Joe DeRita
Born: July 12, 1909
Died: July 3, 1993
Stooge years: 1959-1970

Emil Sitka
Born: December 22, 1914
Died: January 16, 1998

Sitka was officially named a member of the Stooges following Larry Fine's stroke, but never got to perform with the group.

And if you haven't watched the Three Stooges, you've missed out on some great work!

Derek
Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #42
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:

Actually... in English it would be MB for MegaByte or Mb for Mega_b_it.

Pedantically yours,

Xenophon
Old 04-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #43
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just want to see it! If the conference wasn't in the middle of the week, I'd consider a trip to NYC to check it out. Sounds like a great device, and I hope it's styled as well as it's engineered.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #44
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I just want to see it! If the conference wasn't in the middle of the week, I'd consider a trip to NYC to check it out. Sounds like a great device, and I hope it's styled as well as it's engineered.
Well, it still hasn't been answered whether this is the same as the Netronix EB-100. *I* think it is pretty darned close. As I should be receiving my EB-100 shortly, I'll have to post photos.

Derek
Old 04-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #45
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Well, it still hasn't been answered whether this is the same as the Netronix EB-100. *I* think it is pretty darned close. As I should be receiving my EB-100 shortly, I'll have to post photos.

Derek
if you *don't* post photos, you know we're all going to show up at your house to see it for ourselves. and the drinks are on you.
Closed Thread

Tags
astak mentor, e ink, e-book reader, idpg show, touchscreen, wireless