Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just got an email to this brief writing suggestion

which I agree with:

http://www.pw.org/content/elliott_holt

Quote:
Elliott Holt Recommends...

Writers Recommend

Posted 1.16.13

"I'm a city girl. I was born and raised in Washington, D.C., and I've spent my entire adult life living in cities (Moscow, London, Amsterdam, New York, and now Washington again). I love big cities for the energy, the people-watching, the access to art and culture, the ability to feel anonymous. But I also need a daily 'forest bath,' as the Japanese call it. I take a long walk in the woods almost every day to clear my head. (In Moscow, I walked in wooded parks; in London, I went to Hampstead Heath; in Amsterdam, I walked in the Amsterdamse Bos; in Brooklyn, I was in Prospect Park every day; now my daily walk is in Rock Creek Park.) I've been doing this for years. There is something about being on the trails, in the silence, under all those trees that does wonders for my brain. (A couple of years ago, The New York Times noted the health benefits of 'forest bathing': apparently time spent among trees and plants reduces stress and boosts immune function.) I take my dog with me and sometimes I sort out character and plot problems on my walks. But more often than not, the walk is just a way to let go—of anxiety, of ego—and recharge my creative batteries. I always work better after I've been in the woods."

—Elliott Holt, author of You Are One of Them (The Penguin Press, 2013)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I live in the bush, does that mean I should go for daily walks in the city?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, change of taste.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would do this everyday... and used to when I lived in a more rural area...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
When I was growing up I would go for long walks in the woods every day. I got Lyme disease before anyone knew what it was. I can still remember the doctor saying, "Well, it's arthritis, so there's no sense giving you antibiotics." My knees are pretty well shot.

The woods are overrated!

All snarking aside, I still enjoy long walks. Even when I can't get to more "natural" settings, just walking through nearby suburban neighborhoods recharges my batteries.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cromag, you do have a point. The benefits of woods-walking can be overrated, thankfully we don't have ticks were we live, but closer to coast they can be a real nuisance.

Besides, everyone seems to be forgetting their lessons from childhood: look what happened to poor little red riding hood! And it wasn't much fun for Snow White either.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
When I travel, I walk a lot. Last time I was out of Australia I went to the island of Mull, (Scotland for those unfamiliar) and went on two or three very long cross-country off-road hikes with a small group. Not a lot of forest on Mull, but travelling slowly on foot means to do get to see, smell (and inadvertently put your foot in) all sort of interesting things.

Later I was in Rome, and then later again on the Amalfi coast. Practically went everywhere on foot. Ditto Manhattan years ago (among other things I walked Broadway from Battery point to the Lincoln Centre.) .

One of my favourite memories from urban walking was in the London suburb of Hornsey, where I was searching for the Lotus racing car company's first factory, and I walked past the open door of an Indian spice shop. Wow! The fantastic smells that blasted out of that door, absolutely without warning, were unforgettable. Every exotic spice you could imagine, at full strength! Marvellous.

Funny thing is, at home I seldom walk far. Age has something to do with it. Also of course I know my own neighbourhood extremely well, and am never likely to get that spice-shop surprise here.

But as soon as I'm away from my own stamping ground, walking is my travel mode of choice.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
When I travel, I walk a lot. Last time I was out of Australia I went to the island of Mull, (Scotland for those unfamiliar) and went on two or three very long cross-country off-road hikes with a small group. Not a lot of forest on Mull, but travelling slowly on foot means to do get to see, smell (and inadvertently put your foot in) all sort of interesting things.

Later I was in Rome, and then later again on the Amalfi coast. Practically went everywhere on foot. Ditto Manhattan years ago (among other things I walked Broadway from Battery point to the Lincoln Centre.) .

One of my favourite memories from urban walking was in the London suburb of Hornsey, where I was searching for the Lotus racing car company's first factory, and I walked past the open door of an Indian spice shop. Wow! The fantastic smells that blasted out of that door, absolutely without warning, were unforgettable. Every exotic spice you could imagine, at full strength! Marvellous.

Funny thing is, at home I seldom walk far. Age has something to do with it. Also of course I know my own neighbourhood extremely well, and am never likely to get that spice-shop surprise here.

But as soon as I'm away from my own stamping ground, walking is my travel mode of choice.
Excellent!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Cromag, you do have a point. The benefits of woods-walking can be overrated, thankfully we don't have ticks were we live, but closer to coast they can be a real nuisance.

Besides, everyone seems to be forgetting their lessons from childhood: look what happened to poor little red riding hood! And it wasn't much fun for Snow White either.
Well, Little Red Riding Hood and Snow White got some pretty good story ideas, didn't they?

I think a change of pace can help shake things up. That might be getting out of the city to the woods, it might be getting out of the woods into the city.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
I think I do my best thinking when I'm riding on a lawnmower. Strange? Sure, but think about it. You're on the lawnmower, puttering around the yard, for about an hour. Not much to think around, really, except turning the wheel and maybe backing up sometimes. It's a perfect opportunity to get outside and let your mind wander for a bit.
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yea, I wrote a lot of my first book on the tread mill for the same reason.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Garrett View Post
I think I do my best thinking when I'm riding on a lawnmower. Strange? Sure, but think about it. You're on the lawnmower, puttering around the yard, for about an hour. Not much to think around, really, except turning the wheel and maybe backing up sometimes. It's a perfect opportunity to get outside and let your mind wander for a bit.
Remind me not to visit when you're mowing the lawn - it sounds dangerous. Concentrate I say, concentrate!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
kennyc

Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
It's not that hard! Honest!
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
kennyc