Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #61
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I have Just come back to Sony from Kobo. The Kobo touch platform is restricting. You cannot download directly from different websites, you cannot download library books directly to your reader and finally you have to side load DRM books bought from other sites. I am having problems with the 99999 error when trying to access sony's book store but I can still buy and download directly from other sites and that is more than Kobo have been offering.

Last edited by d.culloch; 09-24-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Typo
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #62
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
@d.culloch

I had a chance to use both recently and I'm talking here about the Kobo Touch and PRS-T1, not the new ereaders T2 and Glo (Glo is not even yet on the market!)

You're right about the internet: the T1 browser is much more efficient and complete. I think the T1 processor is more powerful as well. Screens are similar (the gray tones are comparable).

But the Touch is improving and updating the firmware (2 to 2.1) should soon solve certain problems (faster page change, better integration).

Now, if I compare the specifications of Glo and T2, I would take the Glo without hesitation!

The major problem with the Touch is a firmware problem: if Kobo is finally able to solve it, I think it will be a very good reader, which of course does not impaired the T1 or T2!

So to the question: "Has Sony lost the edge over other readers?" It depends on what we are looking at, but I think so in the case of the K Glo.

@Blue2u

No problema! and thanks for the reply.

The prices have not changed here : still too expensive, even for a demo!
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #63
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I think it is safe to say that the new ereaders released this year has Sony pulling up the rear if contrast and clarity are important to you.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #64
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have 2 Kindles, 2 Sony T1's, and a Paperwhite ordered. I like to be diverse
I have a bunch of Sony's, including the T1. Got the T2 but returned it, as I didn't like its new formatting algorithms (more words per line) and its screen was about the same as the T1. Ordered the Paperwhite, and will try it out -- am anxious for a less gray screen with built-in lighting. Tried the Nook with the glow screen, but returned it -- didn't like how it felt. Am pretty happy with the Sony's except for the screen, which would be improved with more contrast, and lack of built-in light.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:25 AM   #65
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
The E-reader competition is harsh. Probably even more harsh then in the Tablet or phone market. Sony previously had given customers a huge selection of E-readers to choose from and now they have narrowed that selection to only one model with multiple colors. It was obviously more economical for them to take this avenue but it has hurt their sales revenue. They have also gone to a radically different architecture since their latest readers T1, and T2 are based on android with Sony's proprietary user interface. In addition Sony readers had sold for a premium, but Amazon has shown that there was no reason for customers to pay a premium price for comparable satisfaction. Sony appears to be conceding the market to its competitors because the profits are much less and not worth fighting for.

We must remember that when Sony first introduced their E-reader there were only one or two other players in the space, and now there are many players to fight for our hard earned dollars. At least Sony did not fiddle with the epub open standard which is surprising given their knack for proprietary efforts in their other technology manufacturing processes
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #66
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I think Sony's biggest problem is that they are taking evolutionary steps with their device. It's let them be more stable than the Nook or Kobo has historically been, but it means that once they fall behind, they will keep falling behind unless they change.

I avoided Amazon because of their goofy file format nonsense (back before they even started doing things like embedding PDFs in a Palm DB file), but the reality is that everyone is playing catchup to Amazon now when it comes to the experience and the device. Sony had the best chance, but they are moving too slowly and methodically when they need to shake it up a bit more. Kobo is trying, but their software QA needs work. B&N gets close, but jumps the gun on stuff a little early, and also needs QA work.

I'm actually considering a Kindle again, when my first and last Kindle was the 1st gen model I got when it launched.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #67
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I love Sony, but might get a Kobo. I find it annoying that Sony has made no visable attempt to fix the little glitches in over a year.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #68
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I love Sony, but might get a Kobo. I find it annoying that Sony has made no visable attempt to fix the little glitches in over a year.

Helen
What glitches? And if that bugs you...LOL have fun with a Kobo. They have glitches and a patch to fix one glitch but creates another. Then a patch to fix that glitch but it too creates another. And their glitches aren't just one at a time. They're multiple at a time.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #69
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
What glitches? And if that bugs you...LOL have fun with a Kobo. They have glitches and a patch to fix one glitch but creates another. Then a patch to fix that glitch but it too creates another. And their glitches aren't just one at a time. They're multiple at a time.
Well recently (after a year) my T1 has taken to doube page turns and application closing. Also my battery has drained in 24 hours twice this week.

It was so well behaved for a long time, although I had a lot of the same problems the first little while.

Anyway I want a second reader for the bus and may try Kobo mini.

Helen
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #70
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
The battery in my 1-year old T1 is still going as strong as it was when I first purchased it. Helen, have your rooted yours or something like that? I saw that you mentioned application closing. I am just curious. I bought a Kindle PW, but for pure reading, the T1 is my favorite reading device by far. The PW is a great reader for reading at night in the bed, though.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #71
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Maybe you have side loaded a book that is causing these new problems with you T1. Removing this book could solve the problem.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #72
speakingtohe
Wizard

@Jersysman & filmo.
No rooting, no new books. All books have been on since July. I have been deleting a few using reader itself. I have had it hooked up to PC once, but only after it started getting a bit odd. Used wall charger only since July and it was really stable for a while. I don't use the wireless and it is turned off.

It isn't that big of a deal, sometimes goes for hours without freezing up or closing the application. The discharging thing has me a bit concerned though.

Helen
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #73
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Helen do you put your reader in sleep mode all the time or do you ever turn it off completely? I have had the battery inexplicably drain on me in a very short period of time too once or twice in the year I've had mine. I always put it in sleep mode. When the battery hiccoughs and drains overnight when it shouldn't, I just do a full shut off and then restart it and it works fine.

As for the freezing and android application closing thing, perhaps you're pressing too many things too quickly which doesn't give the system enough time to process each one. I found that happened to me too when I first got mine.

Sometmes when electronics do weird things they shouldn't I find doing a full shut down and restart cures them. I've no idea why though.

I still wouldn't touch a Kobo if you paid me to though. Like I said before, if these little things on the Sony frustrate you, you'll pull your hair out with a Kobo.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #74
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Helen do you put your reader in sleep mode all the time or do you ever turn it off completely? I have had the battery inexplicably drain on me in a very short period of time too once or twice in the year I've had mine. I always put it in sleep mode. When the battery hiccoughs and drains overnight when it shouldn't, I just do a full shut off and then restart it and it works fine.

As for the freezing and android application closing thing, perhaps you're pressing too many things too quickly which doesn't give the system enough time to process each one. I found that happened to me too when I first got mine.

Sometmes when electronics do weird things they shouldn't I find doing a full shut down and restart cures them. I've no idea why though.

I still wouldn't touch a Kobo if you paid me to though. Like I said before, if these little things on the Sony frustrate you, you'll pull your hair out with a Kobo.
I haven't tried a shutdown, but I will.

As for pushing things too quickly, I doubt I read fast enough to be pushing the page turn button that fast. Often happens on selecting a new book, and I just don't select that fast. I find a collection using slidebar and/or page turn buttons, hit collection, if I am lucky it doesn't crash, select book and hit selection. Again one out of four times it crashes.

Anyway I am going to shut down and see what happens. Even if it gets rid of the every second or third page, annoying double page turn problem it would be a blessing.

Helen
Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #75
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If you must have front lighted screen with easily scratched plastic top layer light guide Kobo Glow I think is best. It also has large selection of good dictionaries for different languages. Book shelves are only recent addition & hopefully bugs fixed.

Sony T1 and T2 still has better implemented mature features, pinch zoom, pdf reflow, web browser..... Based on Android with access to more aps and features a root away. As sold they are among the best e-readers available today.

Buy what fits your needs.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote