Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Best Buy Sold Demo Units

This has been posted elsewhere within other threads, but I just confirmed with Sony that the PRS-950's sold by Best Buy where demo units. Following advice from user rk67668 I contacted Sony this morning. Using a combination of the serial number and version number they determined it was a demo unit. I need to email them a copy of my receipt and they indicated they would arrange to replace the device. I have an open case and they said I would be contacted within 48 hours for replacement details.

My unit is working fine, but I was curious based on the other posts and also didn't want to run into any warranty issues if I needed to make a claim. If you haven't already done so, you may want to contact them as well.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
Typical of BB crowdedness.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
This has been posted elsewhere within other threads, but I just confirmed with Sony that the PRS-950's sold by Best Buy where demo units. Following advice from user rk67668 I contacted Sony this morning. Using a combination of the serial number and version number they determined it was a demo unit. I need to email them a copy of my receipt and they indicated they would arrange to replace the device. I have an open case and they said I would be contacted within 48 hours for replacement details.

My unit is working fine, but I was curious based on the other posts and also didn't want to run into any warranty issues if I needed to make a claim. If you haven't already done so, you may want to contact them as well.
What route did you take in contacting Sony? What information did you have to furnish for them? I only ask because it seems I was most likely sold a Demo unit as well.

Thanks, Abisha
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

I contacted them at 800-222-7669. I explained the situation to them and they asked for the serial number and then the version number from the "about" screen under settings. From that they logged a case and asked me to email or fax a copy of my receipt and they told me I would hear back on the process for exchange within 48 hours. I'll post an update or two as the process moves along.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Wow that's sneaky! Good on Sony for addressing this for you. Hopefully someone at BB will get a rollicking.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
and conversely, that could explain why Best Buy didn't/doesn't have the latest models on display!!
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

I'm guessing this was a mistake on how they loaded it into their system since many of us purchased these units from multiple stores in multiple states. What is odd is that it came with normal retail packaging and there is no demo software on the device.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

When the first guy reported he had bought a 950 at Best Buy some time ago, I same as called him a liar. I could not believe Best Buy was selling 950s before Sony was. I said then I bet they screwed up and sold him a demo. I guess I was correct. BB is one of the worst stores as far as staff goes. Those folks just cannot seem to get their act together, especially with ebook readers.

Also, if the 950s bought at BB were complete and just had beta software on them, why didn't Sony simply show you guys how to flash them with an update? Sounds like there is more to the story than Sony is telling you!

Last edited by jswinden; 11-05-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
When the first guy reported he had bought a 950 at Best Buy some time ago, I same as called him a liar. I could not believe Best Buy was selling 950s before Sony was. I said then I bet they screwed up and sold him a demo. I guess I was correct. BB is one of the worst stores as far as staff goes. Those folks just cannot seem to get their act together, especially with ebook readers.

Also, if the 950s bought at BB were complete and just had beta software on them, why didn't Sony simply show you guys how to flash them with an update? Sounds like there is more to the story than Sony is telling you!
Good questions. From everything I can see it is a standard unit. It had full retail packaging with warranty cards and documentation as well. I guess we'll find something out when we get the replacement units. Maybe they'll be black which I would prefer!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
and conversely, that could explain why Best Buy didn't/doesn't have the latest models on display!!
At my local BB last week, they had models in all the wrong places (a 300 - not 350 - on the 650-labeled stand, etc.), with a dummy prototype 950 only; there were, however, two (apparently) factory-sealed 950's available for purchase. I asked the guy who asked "May I help you?" about the mess; he winced, with a "We're in the process of major display re-shuffling ...."
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
Galan-Ithaca
Galan-Ithaca began at the beginning.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader; Sony PRS900; Sony PRS950
I'm not sure why it's a bad thing to have a demo unit. They hadn't even been put on display! Maybe they were INTENDED to be the demo units ONCE the unit was released by Sony to sell, but you were fortunate enough to get one early. I bought one at BB on the 27th, and it's perfect.

No way am I going to send it back to Sony! I like it too much to part with it.

Bob
Galan-Ithaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
doctj
Enthusiast
doctj began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-950, HP Touchpad
Mine was on the display shelf. I broke the seal on mine and as previous posters mentioned it had everything in the box. I'll call Sony up, if it is a demo unit I'll just return it to Best Buy and buy another unit.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I contacted them at 800-222-7669. I explained the situation to them and they asked for the serial number and then the version number from the "about" screen under settings. From that they logged a case and asked me to email or fax a copy of my receipt and they told me I would hear back on the process for exchange within 48 hours. I'll post an update or two as the process moves along.
Mr. Goodbar, is it possible to post the software version from your about screen so that people can compare their model information? It might be helpful to know what version the Sony tech identified as "beta" to you. Thanks!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galan-Ithaca View Post
I'm not sure why it's a bad thing to have a demo unit. They hadn't even been put on display! Maybe they were INTENDED to be the demo units ONCE the unit was released by Sony to sell, but you were fortunate enough to get one early. I bought one at BB on the 27th, and it's perfect.

No way am I going to send it back to Sony! I like it too much to part with it.

Bob
If it is a demo unit, Sony would send you a new unit and then you send the demo back. So you don't have to be without and Sony pays the shipping both ways.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

The version info on mine is: 1.0.00.09300

In regards to other comments. These "demo" units where in regular retail packaging with all paperwork and accessories. They don't appear to be different in any way, but according to the rep they do not have the final software version. We'll have to wait until one of us get the replacement to see the difference in version number. My unit has worked just fine, but I don't want to end up with warranty issues should I ever need to make a claim.