Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #811
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
I was *this* close to giving up and buying a new Kindle.
But the comatose is returned!

And it's not even going slow as it was for weeks leading up to this.
I couldn't have wifi on without losing it on the first or second page turn.

THANK YOU. ...
I added your success report to the list in the first post.

Does that success report list need a spoiler tag wrapping it? It is getting obscenely large!
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #812
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
If I'm not on it I should be - four or five times now

Thanks to everyone who made unbricking my last utter fubar on the 3 possible.
Without k3flasher that would have definitely been toast fodder.

and GM's assistance with rooting/backing up and unbricking my 5 has also been invaluable.. As has Knc1's knowledge of exactly what to backup and why.

Thanks to all.

And Nah. leave it big heh
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #813
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Well, this is mainly the question for geekmaster, but if anyone else has a first-hand experience with the Demo K4 NT please chime in.

So I've got two Demo K4 NTs and I was able to get them into DIAGs mode thru MfgTool to flash the rootfs and it's now on 4.0 fw. However:
1. I can't get them to switch to fastboot thru MfgTool. The old device (NS Blank CODEX) disappears from the system but the new one (Kindle in fastboot mode) doesn't connect. Neither I can actually make it boot Kindle main thru MfgTool -- in case of Kindle main even the old device doesn't disconnect, it seems like MfgTool cannot send the correct commands up.

2. When I tried to run the update to 4.1.0 on the freshly loaded 4.0 fw (no registration, no jb) it failed on step 2/2.

My goal would be 4.1.0 running on those Demo K4 NTs and I'd like to be able to update diags partition, diags kernel and regular kernel to the stock K4 versions. Any suggestions?

thanks!
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #814
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
I've fixed the kernel/partition mismatch on my debricked K4B. I've dumped all needed 4.1.0 version kernel and partition images from a K4S after resetting it to factory defaults. Now the K4B works perfectly except one thing: the Disable diagnostic command is not working in diags menu (it said "pcbID does not match with your DNS"), so I have to manually get out from diags mode using MfgTool. It's not a big problem, but a little bit uncomfortable...Does anybody have idea how to fix it?

Oh, another question: I've a 'virgin' K4B and I would like to get kernel/partition images from it Is it possible to do without flashing the missing diagnostic+SSH partition, for example via data.tar.gz and RUNME.SH?

Thanks!
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #815
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@stangri:

Can't speak for 1/, but for 2/, some of the 4.0.x backups floating around used the crappy low-level screensavers switch. You'll have to revert it to be able to update.

@Mike76: Yup, JailBreak + USBNet. You'll still have to go through diags *once*, and you'll have usbnet installed on main, so the backups won't be completely vanilla, but for a device on 4.1.x, that's the best we can do.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #816
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Can't speak for 1/, but for 2/, some of the 4.0.x backups floating around used the crappy low-level screensavers switch. You'll have to revert it to be able to update.
I grabbed what I thought was the stock image. Any hints as to where can I download a fully stock 4.0 image then?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #817
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the available 4.0 image, just find the 800x600 backup folder and rename it... Then updates work.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #818
geekmaster

CHARGE THE BATTERY! note added to top of first post. All debricking-related threads / wikis / documents need something like that.

There are far too many "debricking failed" posts recently, where the only problem was a severely depleted battery that needed to charge on a wall charger for 20 hours.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #819
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@stangri: As GM said, the backup is there, so just revert it. (OTOMH: mv /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800).

@GM: It might be neat to kill the guid file (/etc/guid) from the dumps. AFAIK, it's rebuilt automatically during the boot process if it's missing, but a factory reset won't kill it. I'm not sure as to what extent Amazon uses/rely on this, but it's at least used as an 'anonymous' id for the device when talking to some Amazon services...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #820
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
@stangri: As GM said, the backup is there, so just revert it. (OTOMH: mv /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800).

@GM: It might be neat to kill the guid file (/etc/guid) from the dumps. AFAIK, it's rebuilt automatically during the boot process if it's missing, but a factory reset won't kill it. I'm not sure as to what extent Amazon uses/rely on this, but it's at least used as an 'anonymous' id for the device when talking to some Amazon services...
Well then, isn't it better to actually leave it in? If there's 10000 people using the same guid, that's actually better anonymity than having a unique ID.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #821
stangri
Addict

OK, so for some reason /dev/mmcblk0p1 didn't mount as base-mmc in diags mode, so here's what I've had to do once I've SSHed to Kindle:

PHP Code:
[root@[192_168_15_244] /]# mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
[root@[192_168_15_244] /]# rm /mnt/base_mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
[root@[192_168_15_244] /]# mv /mnt/base_mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ /mnt/base_mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 
BTW, how do I fix non-working fastboot tho?

Last edited by stangri; 10-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #822
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@stangri: main vs. diags . I usually avoid spending time in diags if I can, so the stuff I pasted assumed you were on main, not diags .

(Also, not sure if it's a typo in your message or what you did but there's a '0' missing in the target path of the last command ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #823
stangri
Addict

I'm not sure how the SSH over USB works in K4 main mode, so I went to diags where I do know how it works.

And thanks, I fixed the typo.

Still, would love to hear back from geekmaster about fastboot mode on the demo k4.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #824
geekmaster

I did not use fastboot on my demo K4. I modified ixtab's method described here"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2202022

Instead of dealing with fastboot and its USB complications, I used dd to copy the main kernel to /dev/mmcblk0 with offset, as described in ixtab's README file, just before I copied the main rootfs to /dev/mmcblk0p1 with dd.

That is great for a K4 (and even a K4 demo), but on a K5 you still need fastboot to get diags+ssh on it.

I did not even use MfgTool, but instead eureka's imx_usb_downloader tool, to boot to diags.

I do not see why fastboot wouldn't work on a K4 demo, but I do not have time to try it right now. Try ixtab's method.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #825
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
@Mike76: Yup, JailBreak + USBNet. You'll still have to go through diags *once*, and you'll have usbnet installed on main, so the backups won't be completely vanilla, but for a device on 4.1.x, that's the best we can do.
Thanks, it works!
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking