Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Introducing the new Bebook Neo

I already posted a pre-announcement about the Neo a couple of weeks ago (during CES). Now that it's been formally announced, I thought it worth mentioning again.

I have the OEM model, the Onyx Boox 60. It's a very good piece of hardware. Onyx pushed the release date back so they could perfect the design, and it shows. I posted a review several months ago. I had the original firmware, so my review is now slightly out of date.

You can pre-order the Neo for 299 euros, and the price in dollars was not actually stated, but it was implied that it would be below $349. That is how much Dulin's Books is asking for the Boox 60 for right now. I think you might want to consider getting it from Dulin's rather than wait for the Neo. The Boox 60 will come with a very nice leather book style case and a charger. The Neo will not include either item, and I know I would want them.

Endless Ideas made a number of improvements to the software running on the Neo, and the most important one is ebookstore integration. Endless Ideas has arranged it so you can buy ebooks from almost any ebookstore in the world that sells Epub from the Neo itself. And, they've organized the menu so you don't have to worry about regional restrictions.

P.S. On a related note, you will sone be able to buy a similar device form DittoBook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook NEO - Ebookstores Worldwide.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	44138   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook NEO - Packshot - 001.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	44139   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook NEO - Packshot - 002.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	44140   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook NEO - Packshot - 003.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	44141   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook NEO - Packshot - 004.jpg
Views:	1027
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	44142   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook NEO - Packshot - 005.JPG
Views:	889
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	44143   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook NEO - Packshot - 006.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	44144   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook NEO - Packshot - 007.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	909.9 KB
ID:	44145   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook NEO - Packshot - 008.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	44146  

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-25-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The actual firmware is not different. The Boox is using the same Adobe 9.1 for OTA book buying. I tried it myself last night at the Books on Board website and unfortunately got stuck at not remembering my adobe log in It was the first time I tried and so wasn't sure of the process.

Granted their set up for organizing the stores is a good idea.

Also with our current coupon for MR members its only $319

-Charlie
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
This device is very very cool. I looked at the videos and it is actually fast with eBooks.
I especially liked the annotation possibillities and the ability to zoom in into books.
Now I want to switch my SONY with this!

Way to go BeBook!
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Does anybody have any pricing/availability information on the D9 featured on that site? I mean the DittoBook site.

Last edited by lionel47; 01-24-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Realized folks would not know the site I was referring to.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Can someone please tell me what will be any differences between the DittoBook and the Neo versions?
Also will anything at all be better with the Neo over the Onyx Boox?

Last edited by Javed; 01-24-2010 at 07:06 AM. Reason: syntax
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Does anybody have any pricing/availability information on the D9 featured on that site? I mean the DittoBook site.
Ill have one in about a month. If its as good as i suspect Ill be adding it to my store. Retail will probably be $400-$450. It will be using PVIs glass backed screen not the newer plastic screen(which wont be available for production until later in the year(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Can someone please tell me what will be any differences between the DittoBook and the Neo versions?
Also will anything at all be better with the Neo over the Onyx Boox?
All the basic firmware will be the same. The one thing that will be better with the Neo is that they will have adding an app basically that will help you sort through bookstores to shop from by where you are located. It'll be an Icon or Shortcuts set up in the browser Menu along with the Google and Wikipedia Icons.

Alternately it doesn't appear that it will ship with a wall charger or a cover which is included with the Boox (and the DittoBook D6Plus) .

I have not heard of any changes to the DittoBook version, except DittoBook will have their own book store running soon so I assume they will have a shortcut straight to their store to shop from.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-24-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
All the basic firmware will be the same. The one thing that will be better with the Neo is that they will have adding an app basically that will help you sort through bookstores to shop from by where you are located. It'll be an Icon or Shortcuts set up in the browser Menu along with the Google and Wikipedia Icons.

Alternately it doesn't appear that it will ship with a wall charger or a cover which is included with the Boox (and the DittoBook D6Plus) .

I have not heard of any changes to the DittoBook version, except DittoBook will have their own book store running soon so I assume they will have a shortcut straight to their store to shop from.
Thanks.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
The actual firmware is not different. The Boox is using the same Adobe 9.1 for OTA book buying. I tried it myself last night at the Books on Board website and unfortunately got stuck at not remembering my adobe log in It was the first time I tried and so wasn't sure of the process.

Granted their set up for organizing the stores is a good idea.

Also with our current coupon for MR members its only $319

-Charlie
Which coupon ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Which coupon ?
Take a look here. (Good to the end of January)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Thanks.
I'll think upon it. It is attractive .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Take a look here. (Good to the end of January)
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Very pretty little device imo.
'ok' price, great aesthetics probably a good entry level device?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #12
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Can you describe how to buy an ebook OTA? The manual doesn't tell. I have seen a screen dump with an 'Online shop' icon, but I am curious how you buy a book from say B&N or any other one that sells DRM'ed ePubs.
When I have bought a book on my laptop and I have a webserver on my laptop or anywhere on my home network can I also download bought books from it to the Boox using Wifi?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:48 AM   #13
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
The Neo from BeBook seems to be priced, on pre order, at €299 and is available from 25 February, covers are not available to order yet but I just got a mail from mybebook stating covers should be available about the end of February.

Unfortunately Dulins is not an option for Europeans as they, rather short-sightedly in my mind, do not ship to Europe.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #14
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I already posted a pre-announcement about the Neo a couple of weeks ago (during CES). Now that it's been formally announced, I thought it worth mentioning again.

I have the OEM model, the Onyx Boox 60. It's a very good piece of hardware. Onyx pushed the release date back so they could perfect the design, and it shows. I posted a review several months ago. I had the original firmware, so my review is now slightly out of date.

You can pre-order the Neo for 279 euros. I was told that it would sell for 299 euros, and the price in dollars was not actually stated, but it was implied that it would be below $349. That is how much Dulin's Books is asking for the Boox 60 for right now. I think you might want to consider getting it from Dulin's rather than wait for the Neo. The Boox 60 will come with a very nice leather book style case and a charger. The Neo will not include either item, and I know I would want them.

Endless Ideas made a number of improvements to the software running on the Neo, and the most important one is ebookstore integration. Endless Ideas has arranged it so you can buy ebooks from almost any ebookstore in the world that sells Epub from the Neo itself. And, they've organized the menu so you don't have to worry about regional restrictions.

P.S. On a related note, you will sone be able to buy a similar device form DittoBook.
At face value the device sounds and looks pretty good. But I'm unclear about a couple of things:

(1) You say pre-order is possible at €279, but the BeBook page has it at €299 - is there some way to get this "discounted" price?

(2) I don't see FB2 included in the formats, which automatically precludes this from my list of "possibles" - as every other BeBook device supports FB2, I would be surprised if this didn't, but stranger things have happened. The query has been raised on the BeBook forums, but the support team are yet to respond (along with the same concern over the possible lack of DjVu support, LIT, Doc, etc. Any ideas?

Last edited by orwell2k; 01-25-2010 at 06:38 AM.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #15
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
(2) I don't see FB2 included in the formats, which automatically precludes this from my list of "possibles" - as every other BeBook device supports FB2, I would be surprised if this didn't, but stranger things have happened. The query has been raised on the BeBook forums, but the support team are yet to respond (along with the same concern over the possible lack of DjVu support, LIT, Doc, etc. Any ideas?
The BeBook Neo is a rebranded Onyx Boox, which—if I'm not mistaken—does not support FB2.
The other BeBooks are made by HanLin and do include FB2.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote