Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
That works unless you like to hang out in small to medium- sized towns with no Starbucks. Sometimes the nearest wifi is 50+ miles away, and that's when even having 2G is nice.
I can see it as a "nice to have" - in my opinion - but the cost for a writing centric laptop seems excessive to me. I live in a fairly rural area and I can find wifi just about anywhere I can find cell service. (towns with populations below 3k)

What do you need it for? That is the question you need to ask to know whether it matters. In *my* case, if I have cell service my phone can be a hotspot - so there is no advantage to having 3g on the netbook - but its rare that I ever think to even use it.

This is my opinion, not a hard set rule of life.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #32
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not a netbook, but what do you think about this Samsung - 15.6" Laptop? It's funny, my last laptop was a Toshiba that cost many times what this one does, and yet wasn't nearly as powerful. It's kind of amazing the way prices continue to drop and capabilities continue to go up.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #33
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Not a netbook, but what do you think about this Samsung - 15.6" Laptop? It's funny, my last laptop was a Toshiba that cost many times what this one does, and yet wasn't nearly as powerful. It's kind of amazing the way prices continue to drop and capabilities continue to go up.
Cannot be answered in a vacuum. What do you intend to use it for?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
It has a slower hard drive -5400 rpm and Pentium processor (old) so that's part of why it's cheap. Otherwise looks pretty good. I think it would be fine as a writing, web surfing, emailing machine, but not much for games or video. I'd want to try the keyboard to make sure it worked for me to use for typing/writing. I don't see any info on the battery life per charge....might be worth digging around on the web some to find out.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-19-2012 at 05:32 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #35
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Cannot be answered in a vacuum. What do you intend to use it for?
Well, given the topic of the thread, mostly for writing when I'm away from my desktop. I'm considering a larger than netbook size because I need an easier to read screen.

Last edited by carld; 12-19-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #36
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It has a slower hard drive -5400 rpm and Pentium processor (old) so that's part of why it's cheap. Otherwise looks pretty good. I think it would be fine a s writing, web surfing, emailing machine, but not much for games or video.
Thanks, no I would expect to do too much gaming on it, maybe a little. I'm not really the gamer I used to be. Interesting though, I didn't notice the Pentium processor.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #37
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It has a slower hard drive -5400 rpm and Pentium processor (old) so that's part of why it's cheap. Otherwise looks pretty good. I think it would be fine as a writing, web surfing, emailing machine, but not much for games or video. I'd want to try the keyboard to make sure it worked for me to use for typing/writing.
In general - its Win8 - so I would be concerned with only 4gb of RAM esply paired with such a slow drive. Not sure that it would multi-task well at all. If JUST word was open - might be okay - but if you like to use several programs at once, I would be concerned with these specs.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #38
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Well, given the topic of the thread, mostly for writing when I'm away from my desktop. I'm considering a larger than netbook size because I need an easier to read screen.
As I mentioned in my previous reply - I am not sure this would work well for writing - unless you are a single program kind of writer. Sitting in a internet cafe sufring the web, you probably be fine. Serious work with multi programs (Word, One Note, whatever) open? I think this machine will really struggle.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #39
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I misread the box. it only had 2gb of ram. but for $20 more the faster processor of a dual core c60 and 2 as opposed to 1gb of ram sealed it. I'll put Windows 8 on it later
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #40
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the one I settled on. 11.6" screen, keyboard has a nice clickity clack to it, and the keys are spaced so well, that I almost feel like I'm typing on a full size keyboard.

I ended up writing on it for a couple hours doing different things and never felt cramped.

Oh, and I bought it for $265, I guess they were on special at the wal-mart I was at here in Oklahoma

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AO725-089...aspire+one+725
Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #41
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excellent, congrats, now GET TO WRITING!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
jhempel24
Wizard

hey c'mon. lol. I've written 15 pages on vacation so far lol. I have been writing! lol
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #43
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
hey c'mon. lol. I've written 15 pages on vacation so far lol. I have been writing! lol
Stephen would be proud!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #44
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
This is the one I settled on. 11.6" screen, keyboard has a nice clickity clack to it, and the keys are spaced so well, that I almost feel like I'm typing on a full size keyboard.
Interesting, thanks, bookmarking that for later.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #45
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Be careful of the Chrome book, it is much more limited then a normal Netbook. I had one for a while and traded it for a Nook Color. I got the better side of that deal.
You're right. I am pretty sure it won't print to a legacy printer hooked up to it by a usb connector, and I don't think it will scan that way either. You have to have a "cloud" printer that has WiFi or another computer of some kind with internet, hooked up to the legacy printer and that computer has to have chrome on it and probably have access granted. I am not sure about external hard drives also.

I am trying to get my head around that to see what it really means practically. I think it probably means that I got to have a second regular computer as well as the chromebook.

I really want to get away from Windows and Windows updates and viruses.

It could just be easier to have 1 computer even with all Windows problems than to have 2 sets of problems.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote