Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That's with the light on. With the light off, it gets the same battery life. You still get weeks between charges, even when using the light.
Nope, not according to the BN specs! 60 days, 1/2 hour/day makes 30 hours with light off. So less than before.

One page refresh/minute makes 1800 page refreshes (turns). That's actually not very good at all for an eInk device! Disappointed!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #47
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
No, you don't have to look very, VERY hard to find the non-ad version.
When you go to the KT page, the ad-supported version comes up by default. I think that's a gentle push to purchase the one with the ads.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #48
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
And about the Kindle comparison:

Of course they should compare it to the full price Kindle if they should compare at all! (I actually wholeheartedly hate this kind of advertizing!)
I don't think it's fair to put much value on the so called screen protector. It's not something you need on any of these devices!
And the value of the power adapter is silly too. I'd much rather not have it included and a lower price! No value at all for me, and I'm sure many others who already have one!
The reading light I agree on though. Sort of any way...

That kind of advertising is a strika against BN för me. I'm not a Kindle fan, I doubt I'll ever consider a Kindle, but comparisons should be fair!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #49
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
What's wrong with the nook?
The Nook device is fine. I don't care for some of their marketing such as:

Quote:
Reading time is your time and you don't want to be interrupted. NOOK lets you immerse yourself in your reading without being distracted by annoying ads like those that appear in some Kindle eReaders.
For someone that doesn't know better, they would assume popups appear in Kindle books like cardstock cigarette ads in old 60s era paperbacks. No advertising outside the homepage or the screensaver. I never notice them at all unless Monkey alerts us about a good deal.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #50
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that, to the best of my knowledge, no stores in the US sell the Kindle without ads, and you have to look very, VERY hard on "amazon.com" to find any mention of the fact that non ad-supported versions even exist.
One does not have to look far to purchase the NON-ad version, as pointed out above. And anyone who mistakenly purchases the ad-supported version can elect to remove the unwanted ads.

I am just a single consumer but in my circle of friends and colleagues non-ad Kindles = 29, ad-supported = 0.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #51
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Cnet has a nice little video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dosj17Wotrw
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #52
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
When you go to the KT page, the ad-supported version comes up by default. I think that's a gentle push to purchase the one with the ads.
True, but that doesn't mean that it is "very, VERY" hard to buy the non-ad version as HarryT claimed.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #53
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Actually, the ad version is what is sold at Target and most of the stores. I do not believe you can buy a Non-Ad version at a physcial store. I could be wrong but I have never seen the non-ad version at a store.

They should be comparing the Nook with the KT WiFi, I don't care with or without ads. They didn't because the Kindle is less expensive. Toss in that I don't anyone who buys a screen protector and their cost comparison goes out the window.

And their comments on the ads is misleading. The ads are only on the screensaver and the menu. The way Nook has it worded the ads are in the book.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 04-13-2012 at 12:42 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
True, but that doesn't mean that it is "very, VERY" hard to buy the non-ad version as HarryT claimed.
<shrug> You may disagree. It's just a personal opinion. That's absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #55
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I read it somewhere else as 60 full hours with light at 18%.
Not 60 days at 1/2 hour each.

Anyway, I like this direction.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #56
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
It says 2 months at 1/2 hour usage, wifi off, light off, 1 page change per minute, on the B&N product page.
Half that with light on.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #57
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

Anyway, I like this direction.
The B&N page indicates

Quote:
  • Read for over 1 month on a single charge with GlowLight on (based on a half hour of daily reading time)
  • Read for over 2 months with GlowLight off (based on a half hour of daily reading time)
Anyway, I think it is still plenty good and should give users weeks of use between charges.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #58
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Kudos to BN to get it out on the market first.
Per the Wall Street Journal, “Barnes & Noble Inc. bore the brunt of Wednesday’s antitrust settlement between the U.S. government and three major book publishers, losing 6.4% of its market value on Thursday alone and tumbling 17% this month.”

I'm glad they had the "win" of the first release of this. It will likely be pretty common fairly soon. Ereader devices seem to hit during May and June, probably because of the big book-related events going on then.

WSJ article: (http://news.migage.com/articles/E-Bo...015309_18.html)
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #59
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I like the idea of a built in light (I have lighted covers for my ebook readers, and it would cut down on the cover weight and bulk. I have been considering getting non-lighted covers and using a clip on light as needed.), but I would only purchase a new ebook reader with a light if the contrast and clarity of the screen were not degraded by the addition of a new layer on top of the screen to account for the lights. I wasn't crazy about the Sony PRS-700 in comparison to the PRS-505. I'm very curious as to what the new Nook looks like in person. It will likely unfortunately be a while before I am able to see one in person.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #60
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I would only purchase a new ebook reader with a light if the contrast and clarity of the screen were not degraded by the addition of a new layer on top of the screen to account for the lights.
That's just not possible; any layer you add to the screen will negatively affect clarity, it is just a question of how much it is affected and whether the benefit of the light outweighs the loss of sharpness . But you are right that needs to be seen in person to decide.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote