Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
Japan Launch - December 10

Got this news 2 days ago but it seems the word hasn't been heard here in mobileread

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AO1KD20101126

December 10.

And my second 650 for my sister's christmas gift has just arrived from Amazon. What a timing.

yep, there it is... http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Product/Ebook/Reader/

Last edited by lack; 11-30-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: add sonystyle japan link
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Mentioned previously here.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Just finished reading the specs.. Doesn't seem any different from any other countries' release. Only the UI is in japanese, and they don't even include japanese-japanese dictionary. What a shame. I would kill for that.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Actually, the specs are different - RTF and LRF are missing.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
lack
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Mentioned previously here.
wups, sorry..
been away for 2 weeks straight. Doesn't this kind of news will make it to the front page? Or maybe not much member from Japan?

RTF and LRF.. yeah.. and that ZBF stuff. Probably needed for top to bottom reading orientation. My japanese friend literally said meh when I show a Japanese txt file on my 650 rendered in left-to-right...

The top thread says it has Japanese to english dictionary, but I can't find it on the spec list.
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah my mistake, it's an E-J dictionary
Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
lack
Zealot

it happens

I was off just a couple of week.. Would have saved 3000 yen plus 1500 yen in cover.
But oh well.. at least no ja-ja dict, which I was very much hoping for.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man
Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BlackBerry Z30, Sony PRS-650, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Well, that popped my dream bubble. Guess I'll just have to embed the fonts in the correct eBooks. The en-ja dictionary is a sad thing to have put in though. Looks like my PRS-650 is sticking to the english language for the time being while I learn the scripts that make up the Japanese language.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 11-30-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Soul_Est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Japanese bookstore is now open:
http://ebookstore.sony.jp/
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Japanese Product Manuals

PRS-350: http://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf...70PRS-350.html
PRS-650: http://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf...10PRS-650.html

Two dictionaries included, an English dictionary and an English->Japanese. (No Japanese only or J->E).

Supported file types are interesting...no support for DRM-d EPUB? No LRF either.

DRM-protected:
XDMF files (.mhn)

NON-DRM:
XDMF files (.zbf)
epub
pdf
txt

(Downloadable samples from the store are ".mbbs" --not sure what this is).

Sony "Book Transfer" software is a bit different than the English. Can't do much with it (yet) without registering a device. Claims only to be compatible with -350 and -650s so I doubt it would have my fun with my -300!
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Will check Sapporo this weekend to see if the device is out way up here away from Tokyo. Will be nice to see a Pearl screen...have yet to see one live.... been busy converting people to eink but most have the old 505s, cybooks, VSs... or what have you...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard

Looks like you cannot switch the UI language, so buyers beware.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
Watching this with interest, have just purchased my first ebook reader (PRS 350) in Australia, would love to have a J-E dictionary to work on my Japanese, it would be a brilliant tool for language learners...
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #14
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I just bought at PRS 350 in Sapporo! Its great but looking for Japanese epub for my wife
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
I just bought at PRS 350 in Sapporo! Its great but looking for Japanese epub for my wife
Saw the 350 and 650 at Yodobashi Camera today in Sapporo. I took a few quick pixs with my mobile camera. Warning..I am not photographer and just did some quick clicks. The display was nice but there seemed to be no one around to help explain how the readers or eink works.

Finally, I was able to see a Pearl screen for the first time. Must say it is sharper than my PB 360. Although the UI is in Japanese, if one is used to eink devices, one can work around most of the menu. They had a Dickens book on there and I was able to compare the fonts with my Pb 360. Again, the screen is impressive but not enough to give up my newly acquired 360 or the functionality.

I do hope they catch on in Japan. It would behoove Sony to market it as a Manga reader...then they would sell their reader in droves....I assume they will try that with their Daily edition. Manga is 99 percent in black and white so no need to market a colour reader...but who knows what Sony thinks....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA3E0002.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	62641   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA3E0005.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	62642   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA3E0008.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	62643   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA3E0010.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	62644  

Last edited by hidari; 12-11-2010 at 07:06 AM.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote