Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #16711
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I didn't want to write anything when you were musing about how dirty/corrupt it was going to be. I thought I'd let you discover that yourself.
It was a pleasant surprise. But... there was one glaring mistake... in the first couple of pages to boot! I almost stopped right there...
There are two things that are never, never, EVER done (intentionally) in Thai culture. EVER. One is pointing with the foot, especially at someone else. (It's akin to flipping someone the bird and meaning it.) The other is ruffling someone's hair, the we often do in the west with our children. The author does make small mention of this later on, but NO THAI would reach out and ruffle the hair of even their closest relatives. Even children. Smooth it if one were sick, yes. But affectionately ruffle it? Never! It's taboo!

Quote:
I actually liked the second one even more than the first and it loses none of the pace (or corruption), but the first one has one of the best scenes. I won't give it away except to mention that a swimming pool might be involved.
I'm psyched and ready. In fact, I think I'm going to go back and read some more right now!!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #16712
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I picked up Bangkok Burn when it was free a couple of years ago. I was going to put it on my TBR, but forgot to. When I finish my current read I will start it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #16713
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
This is my first Harwood (probably not my last - I missed your review Don!) - it has great ratings on Amazon.

Granted, this isn't Great Literature, but it's an entertaining & well written Gothic romp. Every cliche in the book for endangered frail mentally challenged heroine is thrown at you - but it's fun, and hasn't been boring yet. The horror element is Jamesian (Turn of the Screw & others) - in that it is realistic but fantastic - is it a nightmare, hallucination, madness .... or reality? And the historic/period detail is well done. I'm about half way through and highly recommend it -
Thanks pooh. It's on my TBR list now. I chose Scare Me by Richard Parker in the interim, as the premise is intriguing and it had twelve 5* reviews on Amazon:

Quote:
When did you last Google yourself?

Wealthy businessman, Will Frost, gets woken in the middle of the night by an anonymous caller, asking him exactly this. When Will goes online, he finds a website has been set up in his name, showing photographs of the inside of his home, along with photographs of six houses he has never seen before. In the first of these strange houses, a gruesome murder has already taken place. Will is then told that his own family is in mortal danger. The only way he can keep them safe is to visit each of the houses on the website in person before the police discover what has happened there. Seven houses. Seven gruesome homicides. Seven chances to save his daughter's life...

Scare Me is tale of modern urban terror, for anyone who's ever worried that someone might one day use the internet to track them down and cause them and their family harm...

orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #16714
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Monster Hunter Legion by Larry Correira. Another recent purchase.
Another fun installment of the Monster Hunters series. Lots of monsters, guns and secret political machinations.

Next: Man-Kzin Wars I (25th Anniv. ed.) by Larry Niven
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #16715
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I just finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, which sounded gimmicky, but it was actually really good. I am now going to read Life Of Pi.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #16716
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've started reading Angels & Demons by Dan Brown.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #16717
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I gave up on The Great Gatsby. I might try reading it again, sometime. I just had to start Changeless by Gail Carriger since it came in from the library. Love this series so far!!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #16718
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's really rough being in the middle of two really enjoyable reads at the same time. I'm having trouble deciding which one to read! Life should always be so difficult!

Stitchawl
Old 05-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #16719
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It's really rough being in the middle of two really enjoyable reads at the same time. I'm having trouble deciding which one to read! Life should always be so difficult!

Stitchawl
I love it when that happens!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #16720
Stitchawl
Opsimath

There is no doubt in my mind that John Sandford has outdone himself with "Silken Prey." For a book that is #23 in a series, this is by far one of the very best that he's done! All the usual Sandford elements are in their. Lucas Davenport is really, really Lucas Davenport....

Stitchawl
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #16721
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm about a quarter the way through Phantom Prey and, so far, it is very good.

I'm trying to get caught up on Sandford so am saving Silken Prey for last.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #16722
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'm reading The American Senator by Anthony Trollope for the Lit. Book Club. I still have a bit to go but there's no doubt but that the dialogue passages especially are very effective and enjoyable.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #16723
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished Blowing Smoke: Why the Right Keeps Serving Up Whack-Job Fantasies about the Plot to Euthanize Grandma, Outlaw Christmas, and Turn Junior into a Raging Homosexual by Michael Wolraich. A very well-researched look at what the author calls "Persecution Politics"; complete with footnotes, an index, and an extensive bibliography. Recommended.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #16724
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finished Lynne Olson's Those Angry Days. It is leading me to look at other material of the period (1939-1941).

As a follow-up, I read Robert Sherwood's Abe Lincoln In Illinois, due to Olson's reference to it. I can vaugely remember seeing the movie adaptation a long time ago.

The Sherwood play lead me to Lillian Hellman's Watch On the Rhine, which is next on my TBR list. Since I was looking at drama written in the period, I also added Maxwell Anderson's Winterset to my TBR list (a modern play written in blank verse ).

Can anyone suggest a good book on the 1940 presidential election?
Susan Dunn's 1940: FDR, Willkie, Lindbergh, Hitler-the Election amid the Storm looks good, but doesn't seem to be available in digital form yet.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #16725
Villa10
Villa10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm reading now the Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfuss. Still on the beginning, but loving it. I guess it is a famous book, and if someone here already read it, the history continue to amaze as the book goes on?
Villa10 is offline   Reply With Quote