Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
opengirl
Edge User

Browser shutting down randomly?

Does anyone else have this issue? I don't know why this happens, but it's really frustrating. I open the browser, type in the url, and the page opens, and stays open for about 30 seconds and then the browser just shuts down... closes... I'm back at the home screen. How can I fix this?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by opengirl View Post
Does anyone else have this issue? I don't know why this happens, but it's really frustrating. I open the browser, type in the url, and the page opens, and stays open for about 30 seconds and then the browser just shuts down... closes... I'm back at the home screen. How can I fix this?
In settings >applications >manage applications >your browser: clear cache and data. That should do the trick.

Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
opengirl
Edge User

I did that, thanks... but it's still shutting down... any other tips?

It's also worth noting that the browser has disappeared from my home screen... it's usually at the bottom with the library and journal, etc. But it's gone. I have to go into the other apps, and get to the browser from there.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
sjarrel
Edge User

Oh, I'm sorry it did not work. It always works for me. Maybe a restart after that and even taking out the battery will work sometimes.
Your browsericon disappeard? Just slide up de big X: all icons appear, tap and hold on the browsericon and it appears on your homescreen again. Again tap and hold it there and drag it to the bottom again. Hope this helps you.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Michealj
Edge User

Hi, if the suggestion from sjarrel don't set things right, then call or e-mail the service department. They are open 7 days a week know and are very helpful.

Regards,

Micheal

Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
kenjennings
Edge User

Occasionally. It doesn't occur randomly. It occurs on the same pages, so I assume the browser is crashing due to some overly complicated html, scripting, or something else strange about the page.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
obsessed2
Edge User

Has anyone figured out how to over come this problem on the EE? I have tried several browsers and Opera Mini 6 is the most stable (hasn't crashed yet but, pages in the Mini version goes through Opera's servers before it is delivered to the end user). However, there are other browsers that I like better (xScope). xScope is pretty stable, it has crashed only a couple of times. I have an EE and a PE and I have NEVER had a browser crash (and I have tried them all) on the PE so I don't think this is HTML or scripting related.

Dolphin Browser: http://www.4shared.com/file/5WYi5KYf...droid_311.html
Opera Mini 6: Download Now http://www.4shared.com/file/MUQCim95/OperaMini6.html
xScope: http://www.mediafire.com/?ldi2xlmnxcx084z
Miren: http://www.4shared.com/file/XdfiVOIe/cnmirenbrowser.htm

Last edited by obsessed2; 05-24-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Ressie
Edge User

I've encountered this as well using Ermine, while using Dingo I did not. I ultimately installed Opera Mobile (not mini...ugh), and it runs pretty decent. I think overall it has to do with scripts running in the background and ultimately hitting a runaway condition causing it to just poof (bad internal browser javascript interpreter?), as sites with no scripting, or very few embedded tags seem to not phase the built in browser.