Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Books for lovers of Firefly, the TV and comic series

I'm looking for books that embody the spirit of the Firefly TV series: fun, lots of action, set in space, with some humor, and not too much science.

Any recommendations?

*** UPDATE: I'm just getting into chapter 5 of John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War'. So far, I like it very much. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks queentess!

*** 2nd UPDATE: I finished reading Steven Brust's My Own Kind of Freedom, which was, as many have said, just OK. The characterization was authentic, but it had a paper-thin plot.

Last edited by astrodad; 04-14-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added update
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe Old Man's War by John Scalzi? I found it fun, definitely action, set in space, I thought it was hilarious in parts, and I didn't notice any in-depth science (which means it was well done). And I love Firefly, ergo I am qualified to make a recommendation
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Have you read this one?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20307

Quote:
Here is Steven Brust's Firefly novel My Own Kind of Freedom released under a Creative Commons license.

This book takes place between the end of the series and the movie.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
Ooooooooo!
I'm leery of fanfic, but it sounds like this is high quality, as per reviews on goodreads. The first review there claims it started as a tie-in novel and the deal fell through. I'll definitely check this one out.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I'm looking for books that embody the spirit of the Firefly TV series: fun, lots of action, set in space, with some humor, and not too much science.

Any recommendations?
Frankly I think this applies to the Star Trek novels... although I will admit a good many of them are just "ok".. there are some that are very good... the contain all the things you request.

You might also want to look at Steve Jordon's Kestral Voyages series... I think they also fit in what you are asking for. I just see that he has a third one out, I'm gonna have to pick that one up.. I've only read the first two.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm leery of fanfic
I believe Brust wrote it with Whedon's blessing (and possibly, his encouragement)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Ooooooooo!
I'm leery of fanfic, but it sounds like this is high quality, as per reviews on goodreads. The first review there claims it started as a tie-in novel and the deal fell through. I'll definitely check this one out.
I haven't read it yet, so can't comment on the quality (or lack thereof)
Old 03-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Ooooooooo!
I've read it, but I don't rate it much above "ok".

BOb
Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies so far!

I did download 'My Own Kind of Freedom' but I haven't read it yet. I'll take a look at the other recommendations. I have always wanted to read the Star Trek novels but there are so many of them and I've always been intimidated at trying to find out which ones are any good.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Thanks for the replies so far!

I did download 'My Own Kind of Freedom' but I haven't read it yet. I'll take a look at the other recommendations. I have always wanted to read the Star Trek novels but there are so many of them and I've always been intimidated at trying to find out which ones are any good.
Some of my favorites are by authors like:

Diane Duane
AC Crispin
Diane Carey
Vonda McIntrye
DC Fontana
Christie Golden

Yesterday's Son and Time for Yesterday by AC Crispin are always highly acclaimed and reviewed. If you want somewhere to start, try those.

BOb
Old 03-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
astrodad
Guru

Thanks again, BOb.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You checked out the BAEN Free Library?
Look at A. Bertam Chandler, Andre Norton, James Schmitz, Keith Laumer's Retief, Christopher Anvil, David Weber, David Drake...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Cool, I'd have missed this!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:

Thank you for the heads up.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thank you for the heads up.
My pleasure.

Thanks to JSWolf for uploading it to the library.