Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
markc0220k
markc0220k began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505sc
1G SD for books + 4G ProDuo for mp3, does it work?

quick question for prs505, 1G SD for books + 4G ProDuo for mp3, does it work? pros/cons? anyone please?

coz i'm still confusing, some said reader won't regonise data or crash/freeze if data is greater than 2Gb in a single SD card. But some said reader surely supports up to 8Gb memory stick. then why people are still using SD card?

i just want to see what shall i do if i just want <1Gb for books and 4~8Gb Gb for mp3.

At last, i was told (Thanks HarryT) there has no "stop" button for playing music, i hope i can hear more about how users deal with this problem before i place the order.

thanks

newbie,
Mark

Last edited by markc0220k; 01-24-2008 at 03:30 PM.
markc0220k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You can use up to 2GB on SD and 8GB on memorystick at the same time without any problems, so what you're proposing will work just fine -- with the caveat that you should stick to "known" card brands.

I suspect people keep using SD because they don't have many other things that use memorysticks.

If you use cards bigger than those limits, the 505 will simply not read the stuff beyond the limits (i.e. only read the first 2GB of a 4GB SD card).

The drawback do putting a bunch of material on a card and using it in the Reader is that you have to wade through the full listing of books (for instance) ten titles at a time (ten is how many fit on a 'page' in the menu). The listing isn't hierarchical, it's flat. The 505 has added the ability to break the list down grouped by alphabet (i.e. A through D, etc.) but that only helps some, particularly when dealing with a full Gig of material.

Most folks seem to decide after using the Reader for a while, that they're fine with keeping only a few titles on it at a time.

I generally use it as a "Reading Shelf," putting things I intend to read on it as I get them and taking things off when I'm done with them, usually whenever I'm putting more stuff on anyway. Right now, I have 4 books that I've finished and about 6~8 on my "to read" list. I'll take the old ones off when I add more new stuff. I don't have to wade through a bunch of titles, and I've always got more "on tap" so I never run out.

Unless you have some particularly compelling reason to carry a butt-load of stuff, you may find that sort of approach might serve your needs better too.

The only other significant drawback to using memory cards is that they do cut into your battery life, since they get their power from the reader. That may or may not be an issue to you personally. It varies from brand to brand how much power they draw, but the memorysticks seem to draw less than the SDs and the fancier names generally draw less than the lesser known ones.

Hope that helps.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
SharmaMV
SharmaMV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Hi I am a newbie to PRS505. I brought 2GB SD card which works fine without any problems. I loaded about 240 available filesusing different folders in SD card to sort the books. But the reader treats all books as if from single folder, and browsing takes long time.

thinking to use old 64 MB SD card for putting the books, and use new 2GB for my Qtek Pocket PC.
SharmaMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
If you can find a source, like a used computer store, you can buy hand fulls of old sd cards from 64meg to 256meg for pennies a piece.

I label these with topic names using a p-touch labeler (thanks for the idea, Andy). It is a great way to organize all your media. I can fit hundred converted research papers on a 64 meg card, and I can fit dozens of math books on a given topic on a 256meg card.

Then I have everything on a 2gig SD card as a backup.When I travel, I use my 2gig SD card as an emergency backup in case I lose a card in transit.

I haven't tried buying the older duo cards. They are a newer format, but in time I'm sure the same deals will be available.

Is it really true that the duos consume less juice than SD cards?

Does anyone know if the cards consume juice constantly when the Reader is displaying or only when a page turn is requested?
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There does seem to be some evidence (anecdotal, but there you go) that the MemorySticks use less juice.

Similar evidence suggests that they draw it even when the Reader is in "sleep" mode (as opposed to fully off).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert