Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #31
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Looking at this from a purely American perspective, this speaks absolute volumes about why things are the way they are here and I'll leave it at that lest I start getting off topic.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #32
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Well, this is supposed to be a study about how much people read on average per contry, not how much upper class city based literate people read per week ^^

Also, from a statistical point of view, 30000 people world wide is pretty low to get accurate per country results. That's a 1000 per country (if they took the same sample size for each country). Besides, they don't qualify reading: if I read a news paper or a catalogue, is that reading? Is reading Shakespear's works online reading or computer time? Computer time excludes work, what about reading?

I don't know if the study was seriously done (since I don't have the full report) but the article definitely isn't...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm pretty sure Canadians are way overestimating that one.

I spend a lot of time reading books compared to everyone I know and I'd still only estimate 7 hours a week for me. Of course, our poplulation is skewed towards retirees so my mom is probably keeping the average up.

I'd like to see age breakdown in the statistics which would be more useful to me.
Yeah, always blame the mother.....

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That makes no difference at all to the average time spent reading.
This!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #35
HoraceWimp
Enthusiast
HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Looking at this from a purely American perspective, this speaks absolute volumes about why things are the way they are here and I'll leave it at that lest I start getting off topic.
Indeed. Sadly, the west is now very much in terminal decline and world economies will soon if not already be bossed by the rising resource rich East and Southern economies of China, India, Russia, Africa and South America, who’ve finally got their acts together.

The reasons are manyfold, but as you rightly say, to start discussing that here would take it very off topic which would be wrong.

Nevertheless, given the industrial, economic and educational rise of India which is fast leaving its ‘third-world’ status behind and moving into the highly developed category, the increase in knowledge and education through higher reading averages is systematic with that rise.

This is why as I’ve said previously here, it’s highly rational, logical and believable that India could quite easily top a poll of average reading hours per capita.

There’s no coincidence whatsoever that the higher average weekly reading hours per capita is all mostly in the east in the rising developing countries and the lowest in the west in the declining developed countries.
HoraceWimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #36
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The numbers on that graphic are way to small for me to see.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #37
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
why would you ask illiterate person how much time do you spend reading?
One reason is that it would be tactless to first have asked: Are you literate?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #38
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
The numbers on that graphic are way to small for me to see.
This link is more eReader-friendly:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-54693752.html

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-05-2013 at 07:41 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #39
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Shacks? No, I don't think they asked illiterate people anywhere - why would you ask illiterate person how much time do you spend reading? It would be same like asking a vegetarian how much meat do you eat per year and then make conclusions and market research based on that.
But I do think, having spent nearly a decade in India, that people who are literate here read much more than let's say in Europe. On average, of course.
Interesting that they read more. I read somewhere that there are few ebooks of Indian works, and not a lot written in Indian languages. Must read in other languages, further ruling out those who only read in one language like myself

Strangely enough of the Indian people I know, and those I have seen, I have no recollection of seeing one reading a book in public and most if not all Indians I know are better educated than I am. Probably they are all happily playing on their tablets, cell phones and reading etc. as those of other races, and quickly put them away when I approach.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #40
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
One reason is that it would be tactless to first have asked: Are you literate?
Yes, the reason could be that the researchers, for the lack of transportation, walked the streets of lets say Delhi or Mumbai, stopped by at the shacks and being tactful asked people living there how much do they read
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #41
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Interesting that they read more. I read somewhere that there are few ebooks of Indian works, and not a lot written in Indian languages. Must read in other languages, further ruling out those who only read in one language like myself

Strangely enough of the Indian people I know, and those I have seen, I have no recollection of seeing one reading a book in public and most if not all Indians I know are better educated than I am. Probably they are all happily playing on their tablets, cell phones and reading etc. as those of other races, and quickly put them away when I approach.

Helen
There are let's say few retail ebooks of Indian works (not that less, I have a collection of my favourite fiction), but there are many pdf files floating around. Would you believe if I tell you that there are scanning shops inside in uni buildings scanning textbooks...So imagine what all ways there are here if you want to get hold of a good book. Also, don't forget that literate Indians usually as their second language speak and write English (when I say speak, a lot of them speak with their children in English at home, speak with friends in English, go to English syllabus schools etc), so they can get retail English language books, they don't have to read Indian authors *whose many books have been published in US and other parts of the world for the simple reason that they write in English and not in their "mother tongue".
I also don't see many people reading books, but people I spoke with and communicate with - younger also, they read really many books! And yes, they are always better educated than I am...

Last edited by jmilica; 07-05-2013 at 02:23 PM.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #42
Lili819
Lili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: MPB, iOS, Kindle PW
Japanese and Koreans definitely don't read. They live their lives at work and come home at midnight to die and wake up again. (True story)

The Chinese read, but only until about the age of 17. Then they stop because theyve been forced to their entire childhood and now hate studying and anything that looks remotely like a book. Plus, their eyes get pretty bad from poor environments.

I'm pretty sure Americans read far more than the survey suggests. (If you don't live in the States, simply look at retail numbers as an indication) Before Amazon, I would spend quite a lot of time in small bookshops and coffee shops reading. Working at Barnes and Noble I also learned that I was most certainly not the only person who spent most of my meager salary on books.

Last edited by Lili819; 07-05-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Lili819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #43
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lili819 View Post
Japanese and Koreans definitely don't read. They live their lives at work and come home at midnight to die and wake up again. (True story)
I have seen much more people reading in the subway in Tokyo (not only manga) than in London, and there was already quite a lot of people reading in the tube. Also, some ereaders here and there in the Japanese subway, a lot more in the English one.
If you lived in different cities that could be entirely different.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote