Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Best way to remove PURCHASED books from Kobo?

I normally download my books to ADE and then put them onto the Kobo. However recently I needed to directly sync with the kobo desktop app as one particular book was not available in ePub. Now I have several books duplicated on my Kobo - the ePub version downloaded via ADE and also the whatever it is version that comes direct from the desktop app.

It's not a big deal right now but at some point in the future it might get a bit crowded on my Kobo.
I haven't thought about how to remove books - so far I have been concentrating on getting them on there - so what is the best way to get rid of the duplicates?

I have deleted a couple of the ADE versions from the Kobo but what do you do to remove the desktop app version which doesn't even show up in ADE or Calibre? A few of the books are quite different - in some cases the ADE version is better but in others it is the desktop app version that has the cover etc. Obviously I want to keep the best version on the Kobo.

Thanks.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
delete them from your kobo library, update the app and then re-sync.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Yup, wrenn1's got it. You manage your "I'm Reading" list on kobobooks.com and everything syncs through from there.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
delete them from your kobo library, update the app and then re-sync.
I don't use this method, but I assume there must be some kind of
manual for this? If not, one sticky would suffice.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
@ Zoran, it's in the "Tips and Tricks" sticky--lots of good things appear there. It would also make a good addition to the Kobo Wiki page.

Last edited by taming; 08-20-2010 at 01:39 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I use Calibre and simply delete it from my attached Kobo.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Sabredog, when you delete with Calibre does it remain in the Calibre library or disappear all together?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Sabredog, when you delete with Calibre does it remain in the Calibre library or disappear all together?
You can delete the book ONLY from your Kobo, or from the Calibre library, or both.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
wrenn1
Addict

Thank you JS. Good to know.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #10
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
OK, so I'm in the same boat as the OP, but none of the solutions mentioned here are working. So frustrating. What the hell am I doing wrong?

God the Kobo desktop app is just so, so awful.

Last edited by Canorka; 11-15-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
OK, so I'm in the same boat as the OP, but none of the solutions mentioned here are working. So frustrating. What the hell am I doing wrong?

God the Kobo desktop app is just so, so awful.
To delete items you brought onto the Kobo from the desktop app:

The new desktop app (1.7.x) lets you delete books from your library when you right click on them. Then if you sync they disappear from your Kobo.

From the website if you log in and go to "Library" you will see a list of your books and if you make sure the title reads "I'm Reading" (a choice just above the way top sort your books which includes "purchased" and "trash the chosen choice gets highlighted in blue). If hit delete the book moves from "I'm reading" which is an item that gets synced to your Kobo to "Purchased" which does not get synced. (delete in "Purchased" moves it to trash while "bookmarking" while in Purchased moves it back to "I'm reading"). Confusing but it does work.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo WiFi has a delete book choice on the reader itself. The 1.8 firmware for the Kobo-O will have this too.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks guys. The two books removed themselves after about 20 syncs, unfortunately at the cost of having all my 90 or so side loaded books being unopenable.

Anyway, all's good now...
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I'm pretty good at all of this, but I am avoiding sync at the moment and will until we have updates.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
If you have the new kobo desktop app you right click and press delete
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote