Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
eBooks and rights

I thought the publisher that published the pBook would also have the rights to publish the eBook version but this seems to not always be the case - I've e-mailed both Penguin and Hachette and neither have the rights to publish The Catcher in the Rye in eBook format. I thought publishers were saying that the contracts usually had a clause that said about future formats? It seems an awful big title for no publisher to have the ebook rights to
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
The Catcher in the Rye was written and published long before electronic rights were even thought of, so I am betting the original contracts don't have them. I don't know when Salinger might have sign new contracts, he was a pretty private guy and didn't seek to have a lot of his works published. There was talk after he passed away that some new works might be brought to the public by his family. This may be one of those ocassions where the author specifically keeped the electronic rights and prevented it from being published.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Salinger is actually an excellent example of how the current copyright laws can be a disincentive to creating or publishing new works. Catcher in the Rye continues to sell well to this day (In part I imagine because it is used in so many High School lit classes) and as a result, Salinger has seen little need to publish anything else for income. Apparently he continued writing the regularly during the last 40 years of his life and even marked manuscripts that he felt were ready to be published. I suspect that we will probably see some new Salinger works published in the next few years. That being said, if copyright was still under the 28 year maximum that was specified in the U.S. Constitution, he might have published other works years ago.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interesting, Bill, I never thought of it that way. As a creator, I like to think my heirs stand to gain income from my work. But not many writers will earn a lifetime's income off one or two books. I think the current copyright law is pretty fair, as long as they don't keep granting special exemptions for corporations.

I expect a Salinger heir will crack soon and sell out.

Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
If works published posthumously count their copyright since the date of publishing, and Salinger's are all good, his heirs might publish only one every decade or so to keep copyright on them longer So it might go on for centuries
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert