Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony Reader with embedded ads soon?

Thanks to an anonymous contributor for pointing out this little info tidbit which claims that we might soon see third-party advertisement enriching our reading experience on the Sony Reader. The article referred to Steve Haber, president of Sony's Digital Reading Business Division, who indicated that ads would be possible as "more publishers come on board."

It remains open to speculation, though, how advertisement would be delivered. Wireless connectivity, anyone?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm... wireless connectivity + embedded ads = subscription model with subsidised pricing for readers ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
They first have to sell me one first - then sell me some sort of content too
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I remember the old days when they use to include a cardboard insert of cigarette ads in every paperback.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I will be most unhappy if ads on my Sony (enriching my reading experience??) appear prior to a firmware update that allows me to read epubs with full justification. Come on, Sony. It's been many months and we're still waiting for this.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm trying to find reports on Nell's speech at IDPF, but all I can get is twitter reports. He discussed them working on wireless, and more ePub as well.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Instead of any expensive (to them) changes to firmware, wouldn't you imagine that they would just insert ads into free books? Maybe every 20 pages or so, press the page turn button, and an ad shows up, then back to the book with the next page turn?

That would be fine with me, unless I had paid full price for the book.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Instead of any expensive (to them) changes to firmware, wouldn't you imagine that they would just insert ads into free books? Maybe every 20 pages or so, press the page turn button, and an ad shows up, then back to the book with the next page turn?

I wouldn't even read that book if they gave it to me...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

Yeah, I could do it if they gave me a discount.

I'd much prefer, if they are coming out with a wireless, at the end of a book, links to other books you might like (rest of series, similar titles, etc).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
As I read the article, it seems that the ad reference is not to books but to periodicals, where most readers currently expect to see ads. I'm not clear on how this segued into ads in books.

FWIW, paperbacks that have included ads have been intermittently published over the years, so this isn't exactly something new. Plus I can envision an increasing number of authors signing product placement deals, just like the movies. It was done experimentally a couple of years ago. Instead of the hero drinking coffee, s/he could have a Starbucks latte while trying to determine whether the deceased was and is truly deceased or just metamophosing into a new form before eating a Nathan's hotdog.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think it is a load of BS... unless there is an option to get the reader at a substantial discount... Even then I think I would just wait to get one on eBay and avoid add all together...
Not that there will be some kind of hack out there to get rid of the adds
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Adobe was developing a similar solution for its PDFs but discontinued it after some beta testing back in January 2009.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't think it's BS. What if what Haber had in mind was indeed a device with wireless capability? Perhaps one with a larger screen comparable to the Kindle DX.

I could think of this scenario:
- every e-book you purchase from Sony has metadata that describes a book and perhaps the kind of person who is most likely to read it
- Sony will offer some kind of newspaper subscription service, comparable to Amazon
- as the user fetches his favorite newspapers, ads will blend in. These ads will be context relevant. Sony could, for instance, send anonymous information to their ad hosting server, about the kind of books you have stored on your device, allowing them to make a profile of the user, which will help them to send related ads to the device.

What do you think? Just crazy?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Ah! The model, the humor, the brilliant intelligence.....Here's my view....

One - it would be in DRM'ed books. That way the publisher thinks the average Joe/Jill can't remove it.

Two - They'll charge $150 - $200 for advertizing per back list book. Why, because that about what it cost to digitize and proof a typical book.

Three - The author with get a hushpuppy of his usual royalty percentage rate of the $150-$200 one time only advertizing fee.

Four - Front list will be all the market can bear. Imagine the advertizing rate you could charge for a Harry Potter e-book....

(But the way, the ads in the paperback books (without authorization) is what led to the infamous Ellison gopher incident.)

Last edited by Greg Anos; 05-13-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
ChrisR1970
ChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with others

Device: Sony 505
What are Epubs with full justification? I have version 1.1.00.18040 the update said it had Epub support. I have about 80 Epub format books on my 505 and have never had any trouble with them. Are there different kinds of Epubs?
ChrisR1970 is offline   Reply With Quote