Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Matt Horne
Matt Horne began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Sony Leather 505 cover - it lasted 3 days.

Hi,

Longtime lurker.. but now a Sony Reader owner for the last couple of the weeks - UK based but have already spent a chunk over at Fictionwise.. so nicely sorted with reading material for a good while.

I was in Waterstones on Monday and thought I would treat myself to the leather cover for the reader. Bought it - was a bit disappointed that it did not have the magnets in the cover as I thought that was a nice touch on the included one.

So I have used it for the last couple of days.. on the train and at home, took it out of my bag last night to find the plastics tabs which attach to the cover had all broken.. basically (as I am sure it is on all the sony made covers) they are very small L shape tabs.

It looks like the weight of the reader just broke them (possibly due to the cover being a bit bigger than the reader so it hangs more than say in the normal one.. and the stress just broke the fixings.

So back to waterstones it went this morning.. the sales assistant (same one who sold it to me) then said.. oh yes.. thats the third one we have had back. and she then apologised for not warning me when I bought it.

Thought I would let you all know.. as it seems to have happened a few times.. (and they have a pile of them in the shop waiting to go back)

Not that impressed - maybe the tri-fold would be a better bet as it folds around the reader and may then stop it from drooping and stressing the fixings..

I have exchanged it for the silicone case and then I will just get a small neoprene bag to keep it in when its in my bag.

Probably going to have a look at this :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226015

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by Matt Horne; 01-22-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Matt Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
That's unfortunate news. At least you seem to have found an alternative case.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I wonder if you have a "off brand" cover? I bought the executive leather cover when I purchased my 505 in December and it has the magnets and fits perfectly. I did buy mine from Sony Style online so figure it's the genuine article.
I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had realized that the PRS came with a nice cover in the package! I think that the leather covers are way overpriced though, $40 plus shipping is a little steep for my budget.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I have noticed that the black leather cover sold at sony Uk & waterstones isn't the same as the one sold at sonystyle US. It doesn't have the back pocket to begin with. I have a leather cover (red) bought from the sonystyle US and have no problems with it. The tab system works fine with no problems. You might want to try ebay also for one of those. Many companies selling them will sell wordwide and you can choose from colors.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I bought PRS-505 from the Sony Store; the leather cover that came with it had plastic tabs holding it to the Reader, and one of them broke within a couple of weeks. I'm currently looking for a new cover, because I doubt replacing it with the same kind will be any better.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Wow, I'm really suprised. My cover has held up well, and it is in the black hole full of crap that is my purse.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Just being pedantic, but the magnets are in the reader, not the cover that comes with it. That just has metal bits in the relevant places.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Matt Horne

Well I think it was probably a combination of the cover being bigger so the reader hangs and pulls at the tabs, plus being in my small rucksack and the motion of me walking caused it to "bounce" and flex hence the tabs just collapsed.

But I am going with the silicone cover + a neoprene bag.. this one in fact which may be a bit big but should work well to protect it whilst in my rucksack :

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/687591...k/Product.html
Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I can highly recommend the tri-fold one, it is fabulous and will keep your reader far safer than the usual one.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
Libby Cone
scribbler
Libby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
a better bag

Start knitting, folks!
Libby Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
That requires learning to knit beyond doing scarves!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Cone View Post
Start knitting, folks!
That won't replace the actual cover though. The screen needs some kind of barrier.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Libby Cone
scribbler
Libby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
That requires learning to knit beyond doing scarves!
The nice thing about the Lion Brand pattern is that the final product is FELTED, so if you are learning decreases for the first time (not hard, I promise!) and make a mistake (I am a relatively experienced knitter, and I still get the count wrong sometimes), the felting conceals it. Increases and decreases are quite easy compared to knitting with double points (which I avoid like the plague) or the provisional cast-on (whichI usually get right on the third try). Unfortunately, "Knitting for Dummies" is only available in dead-tree editions in the UK. It's a great book, though.
Libby Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Matt Horne

Right small update..

Got the silicone cover and I don't like it.. it feels slimy.. and though its left cutouts for the memory cards for example but not for the power switch.... it may come in handy in the future.. but for now its just stuck on a shelf.

The reader does not seem right without a cover over the screen. Hence I am back to the original supplied cover. Think as its cheap I will try the Tri-fold case next....
Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
My Tri-fold case arrived today and I have just put it on the Reader. It seems much happier (and more secure) in the tri-fold as sides are protected. I'd recommend it.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote