Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Should e-book content be rated like movies?
No - It's too close to censorship 44 26.99%
No - I don't like the idea at all 44 26.99%
No - I don't think it is practical, or it would be biased 53 32.52%
Yes - I personally like the idea 16 9.82%
Other - explain in the thread comments 6 3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #46
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I voted "Other" because I don't really care if ebooks are rated. I don't think it is akin to censorship because a rating is just meant to give a consumer a clue about the nature of the content. Is is squeaky clean? Is it violent? Is it sexy? Sometimes these things are nice to know.

If ratings were required (by who I don't know) then they would have to self labelled by the publisher or author. Who could possibly read everything and give it a rating?

I don't think there's much to worry about here. Not going to happen.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #47
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
I voted "Other" because I don't really care if ebooks are rated. I don't think it is akin to censorship because a rating is just meant to give a consumer a clue about the nature of the content. Is is squeaky clean? Is it violent? Is it sexy? Sometimes these things are nice to know.

If ratings were required (by who I don't know) then they would have to self labelled by the publisher or author. Who could possibly read everything and give it a rating?

I don't think there's much to worry about here. Not going to happen.
I'll give you an answer to that analogous to movies and records.

If you are not rated, you cannot be shown in major movie houses in the US. Likewise, in many stores, if your studio has a history of not marking the albums with content notices, stores will not sell your work.

To bring it fully, the answer is simple. If you're required to be rated to be in major book stores, and you are not rated, your work simply won't appear in major book stores. Like Walmart and what not, if your rating is too high, you might also not appear in book stores.

Every year, there are millions of movies made. Only a select few get put into the distribution process. There's an entire indie circuit that will never ever be shown in your standard theatre because of the proclivities of the MPRA.

Likewise, that is what could happen with books without too much work, and that is what concerns me.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #48
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I've voted the 3rd option, but I'm wondering why people here say it's okay to rate movies and videogames, but not books. Dual criteria?

In my opinion, by the time a kid gets some interest in books, he will be old enough to take care of himself.

Or if he's too young and his interest in books was cultivated by his parents, I guess the parents also gave him some education in that area as well.
I'm also against *most* ratings of movies, music and games. I am fine with labels for AL, V and N. Any other targeting for audience should be done through advertising. And this rating only applies to movies, music and games because you don't need to be mature to access the content. Everyone can watch a movie and be impacted by it. And the content in those mediums affects you differently than content from books. But it takes education and maturity to access content in most books.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #49
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I believe neither books nor movies or music should be rated - if it's to be a one-letter rating.

Nearly all of the books, games and movies I've seen have a short review printed on the back of the box, or if you buy on a webpage, on the page. This review should explain what is contained in the movie, so that the buyer could make an informed decision if it would offend him/her or not. Ratings like "mature" are thinking for the buyer, assumming we all have the same standards and opinions, and if I could, I'd prohibit such ratings.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #50
Libby Cone
scribbler
Libby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I'd love to see a more individualistic e-reader, who doesn't care for ratings, reads indie authors, makes their own one-of-a-kind cover for their reader (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/1177AD.html), and wants more controls on DRM than some arbitrary rating system.
Libby Cone
Author, War on the Margins: A Novel
http://tinyurl.com/5bcta4
http://tinyurl.com/6y973d
Libby Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #51
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I don't view a rating system as censorship, but I don't really see the need for them. And what criteria would be used anyway?

When I was a teenager, my parents read a book that they thought was really risque (I think the title was "Summer of 42"). They hid the book and acted peculiar whenever we entered the room while they were reading it. Their behavior piqued my curiosity and so I hunted for the book, found it and read it on the sly. I was disappointed when i got to the one or two steamy scenes that i figured my parents were so worked up over. I guess it all boils down to how one perceives the written word.

If my parents had not been so silly about the book, I probably would not have been so interested in reading it. Adding rating systems to books, movies, games, seems to only provoke more interest in "mature audience" rated items. Why let some impersonal agency attempt to regulate such things?....Let the parents figure out and regulate what they deem appropriate or inappropriate for their own children.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #52
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Cone View Post
I'd love to see a more individualistic e-reader, who doesn't care for ratings, reads indie authors, makes their own one-of-a-kind cover for their reader (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/1177AD.html), and wants more controls on DRM than some arbitrary rating system.
Libby Cone
Author, War on the Margins: A Novel
http://tinyurl.com/5bcta4
http://tinyurl.com/6y973d
Did you convert the purse pattern, or are you using the bag as a case?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #53
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fekete View Post
Are we cool with this? You say "supposedly," Steve, so I figure you've got some reservations about the universal applicability of parents and guardians acting as censors on their children until the point they're "no longer children." This "right" has usually seemed problematic to me: the state often invests directly in the individuals which comprise it, so does that investment entitle the state or its representatives any control over what the children are exposed to?
I understand that not all children are equal, some more mature at certain ages than others (and, of course, measuring maturity by age isn't very reliable). However, children still need to be cared for by others until they are ready to go out on their own, and the responsibility of caring includes education. Education should be done in an orderly fashion to be the most successful, and that includes exposing children to certain ideas in orderly stages.

All that said... not all parents are equal, either... nor are their surroundings, educational institutions, etc. So no one curriculum is going to work for everyone. I believe in the theory of guided upbringing, but in practice, every child and every situation will vary, and there should be enough leeway in the system to accommodate this. In reality, there's rarely that much leeway, so you get mass solutions that don't fit every child. That doesn't mean all guidance should be thrown out... just that more effort should be taken to make up for the areas in which mass education doesn't fit an individual.

How much should the state control that guidance? As much as it needs to, to maintain and support the society... that's the realistic answer, though it's obviously not always the popular answer.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #54
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
To bring it fully, the answer is simple. If you're required to be rated to be in major book stores, and you are not rated, your work simply won't appear in major book stores. Like Walmart and what not, if your rating is too high, you might also not appear in book stores.

Every year, there are millions of movies made. Only a select few get put into the distribution process. There's an entire indie circuit that will never ever be shown in your standard theatre because of the proclivities of the MPRA.

Likewise, that is what could happen with books without too much work, and that is what concerns me.
It's a valid point. However, in an age where consumers can buy products online without going to the major bookstores (or movie theatres), it is becoming less and less important whether works are seen in the movie houses and bookstores. Today you can buy direct-to-DVD movies, as well as download unrated material. You can also buy x-rated e-books without going through any screening process (depending on the origin of the seller). This is why ratings may be ultimately doomed to extinction... there is always someone, somewhere willing to sell the product to you, ratings or not.

Descriptors transcend ratings by removing the barrier at the sellers' end, and placing the barrier at your end.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #55
Nergal
eBuchReisender
Nergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten-E, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
[...]I already have notices informing customers of the type of content in each of my books as a matter of course. [...]
This is what I would call an appropriate rating-system. It is the author himself, who has an natural right to do so. I would even say the bookseller can do so - he is in the role of an consultant. And this is already done splendidly: have a look at all those free e-book websites: I only mention here http://www.manybooks.net - it has categories like '[previously] banned books', 'adventure', 'travel' and so on. But it is not a global classification, it is the opinion of individuals to place this book here and another there.

That gives the freedom of choice - and that is one part of what freedom is about.
Nergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #56
Tali
Tali began at the beginning.

Device: still bcowsing
All ratings systems are censorship. If you don't like what your kid is watching, you have two options: Censor it yourself or talk to them about what they are watching/reading/listening to. Definitely don't expect anyone else to do the job for you!
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #57
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali View Post
All ratings systems are censorship.
Ratings systems are NOT censorship. Forcing creators to remove parts of their creation IS censorship. Not allowing people to see material because of a rating IS censorship. Let's not condemn a book because it has the potential to be thrown at someone's head.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #58
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Ratings systems are NOT censorship.
There can be a certain amount of self-censorship if authors try to shape their creations not to please themselves or the readers, but to get a certain rating or label. It's like students not studying to gain knowledge and understand a subject, but to pass the exams.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #59
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
There can be a certain amount of self-censorship if authors try to shape their creations not to please themselves or the readers, but to get a certain rating or label. It's like students not studying to gain knowledge and understand a subject, but to pass the exams.
There's nothing wrong with self-censorship, where you're making your own choice. If I decide not to have a character cuss a blue streak, in order to make my book more palatable to some readers, that is my choice to make, and my right to make it.

It's when that decision is forced upon you/taken away from you that it is objectionable.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #60
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Ratings systems are NOT censorship. Forcing creators to remove parts of their creation IS censorship. Not allowing people to see material because of a rating IS censorship. Let's not condemn a book because it has the potential to be thrown at someone's head.
I agree with this completely. I may not want to read certain about subject matter or books with blue language, but I want the choice to pick up that book or not. If a rating system could possibly be used to limit the choices I have or my child will have as he gets older than I want nothing to do with it.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote