Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #136
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
But jeez, did they do any kind of usability studies before they rolled it out?!
Usability studies are pretty much a thing of the past (probably the expense), it seems. Just look at Linux (Ubuntu's Unity and GNOME's Shell) and Windows 8 on the desktop/laptop or, to be more MobileRead-ish about it, Android Jellybean's first iteration or Kobo's "Tapestries" (portrait mode-only for the launcher, at 7" and lower for JB, plus no snap to grid when scrolling the screens via the quick swipe we're all used to for Kobo).

Seems more and more we get a dev's (or, more likely, a stubborn higher up with power) pet project that they build (or order built) based on their own sense of what design should be - which generally clashes with what the real users need and want.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #137
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Usability studies are pretty much a thing of the past (probably the expense), it seems. Just look at Linux (Ubuntu's Unity and GNOME's Shell) and Windows 8 on the desktop/laptop or, to be more MobileRead-ish about it, Android Jellybean's first iteration or Kobo's "Tapestries" (portrait mode-only for the launcher, at 7" and lower for JB, plus no snap to grid when scrolling the screens via the quick swipe we're all used to for Kobo).

Seems more and more we get a dev's (or, more likely, a stubborn higher up with power) pet project that they build (or order built) based on their own sense of what design should be - which generally clashes with what the real users need and want.
Not that you're jaded or anything...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #138
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Not that you're jaded or anything...
That (note the tag under my name :P) and observant. Just go look at how much "No, you're wrong! You're the exception! Everyone else likes it this way!" you get from devs/community reps and attacks from zealots ("Stop living in the past! You're just afraid of change! If you don't like it, shut up and go back to your <Insert Rival Product Here> because you obviously never actually liked <Insert Changed Product Here> that you say you've been using for the last decade or more!") on issues like this, some of which you even see here. :/
Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #139
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
That (note the tag under my name :P) and observant. Just go look at how much "No, you're wrong! You're the exception! Everyone else likes it this way!" you get from devs/community reps and attacks from zealots ("Stop living in the past! You're just afraid of change! If you don't like it, shut up and go back to your <Insert Rival Product Here> because you obviously never actually liked <Insert Changed Product Here> that you say you've been using for the last decade or more!") on issues like this, some of which you even see here. :/
I worked in QA and usability testing for years. And HOW many times did I hear a developer say, "But why did you do that? All you had to do was...and it would have worked fine!"

Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #140
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
You guys are making me laugh. You can say that you don't like an app/OS/website, etc., that it doesn't meet your needs, that the company got it wrong, but that doesn't mean they didn't do usability studies. Windows 8, for example, had 1.2 billion hours of user testing before it was released.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...is-good-to-go/

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #141
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
And here is a REALLY cheap way to go about user testing:

http://www.usertesting.com/

All you armchair usability experts, go ahead and sign up as tester, you will actually get paid for your opinions. And if you can train a webcam on your tablet or mobile device, all the better. They need more mobile testers.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #142
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I worked in QA and usability testing for years. And HOW many times did I hear a developer say, "But why did you do that? All you had to do was...and it would have worked fine!"

I liked the time I hit the wrong button (release to workflow rather than run job) and the system crashed so bad I had to reboot. Development response "you're not supposed to release from production queue, just run job." I put a ticket in for them to fail the release *gracefully* with a meaningful error message. Like they're going to be able to ensure the end users never make a very-easy-to-make mistake! And I wasn't even a usability tester, I was just the data person helping out who had no instructions on how to run the job.

Last edited by Joykins; 12-14-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #143
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Maybe we're all being a mite too picky. I do have days when I think that, but then I visit the newly designed BPL (the only one of my libraries that have switched ... so far) and after about 5 minutes I have this strange urge to tear my hair out. #FirstWorldProblems
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #144
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I liked the time I hit the wrong button (release to workflow rather than run job) and the system crashed so bad I had to reboot. Development response "you're not supposed to release from production queue, just run job." I put a ticket in for them to fail the release *gracefully* with a meaningful error message. Like they're going to be able to ensure the end users never make a very-easy-to-make mistake! And I wasn't even a usability tester, I was just the data person helping out who had no instructions on how to run the job.
Exactly! I think it's just human nature for the developer to say, "That's not a bug, you did it wrong!" *chuckle*

elemenop, it's way more fun to just complain than test!!! Don't go shooting down our fun!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #145
Mike@OverDrive
Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kindle
Okay, we're making some headway here! Thanks again for all your feedback. I've done my best to compile your various development requests, bug reports, and questions. I've added some comments below, and I'll try to keep you posted on any movement on these fronts.

1. Request: Return to old Cart system. JD Gumby, Blossom, DianNC
2. Request: Bring back list view, both when browsing and in the Wish List. 4691mls
3. Request: Include more info on initial displays, perhaps through hover pop-up. 4691mls, Blossom
4. Request: On Book Detail page, prioritize publisher, pub date, etc. above excerpt, below description. Blossom
5. Request: Provide option to switch to classic view. xendula, others
6. Request: Larger touch points for touch navigation. xendula
7. Request: Reduce size of cover images on Bookshelf. xendula, Blossom, DianNC

All duly noted. I'll pass these requests on to our dev team and keep you posted.

8. Request: Enable early return for WMA. xendula

DRM restrictions prevent early return of WMA files. Sorry!

9. Request: Allow users to check out formats deemed "incompatible with your device." (i.e., borrow Kindle format from iOs device) xendula

There is a workaround for this issue: You will need to navigate to your digital library site from outside of the OverDrive Media Console app. Once at the library site, please verify that the address listed in the address bar has 10/50 in the URL. If it doesn't, please replace the current numbers with 10/50. See the example URL below:

http://digitalbooks.org/954150F4-89D...en/Default.htm

http://digitalbooks.org/954150F4-89D...en/Default.htm

From there, you should see the option to check out all available formats, including Kindle.

10. Bug: Sort by date added to site not working in Ocean State eZone site. xendula
11. Bug: Clicking on "iPod Compatible Audiobooks" brings up eBooks, not audiobooks. DianNC
12. Bug: Book covers appearing across entire screen at Brooklyn PL. DianNC

Thanks for the heads up on these, I'll pass 'em on.

13. Question: What type of checkout records do you keep (for recommendation records, etc)? JD Gumby

OverDrive does not keep user-identifiable information. All we receive from your library is your library card number, and we don't share individual checkout records with libraries. I'll ask the dev team for details on how the recommendation algorithm works.

14. Question: Why are many recent eBooks not available in Kindle format? xendula

Can you provide a specific example? Could be a variety of reasons.

15. Question: Does the library incur a small charge for every borrowed book? Fizzy Water

We don't charge libraries a per-use fee. In most cases, once a library adds an OverDrive title to their collection, they can lend out that copy in perpetuity without incurring additional fees.

Thanks again, guys. I'll check back in with you ASAP.
Mike@OverDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #146
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
You guys are making me laugh. You can say that you don't like an app/OS/website, etc., that it doesn't meet your needs, that the company got it wrong, but that doesn't mean they didn't do usability studies. Windows 8, for example, had 1.2 billion hours of user testing before it was released.
...which resulted in virtually no changes or improvements in the UI from the earliest publicized releases to official launch. Dissent was either shouted down or completely ignored in favor of the vision (which could never possibly be wrong).
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #147
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Thanks, Mike, you have picked up on my main complaints.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #148
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@OverDrive View Post
Okay, we're making some headway here! Thanks again for all your feedback. I've done my best to compile your various development requests, bug reports, and questions. I've added some comments below, and I'll try to keep you posted on any movement on these fronts.

1. Request: Return to old Cart system. JD Gumby, Blossom, DianNC
To clarify: Not necessarily a *return* to only a traditional cart system - but reimplementing it along side the borrow now system. Some days people want to only grab one item (where borrow now helps, assuming it actually reduces the number of steps to a simple "Confirm that you would like to borrow this item" prompt rather than a cart system where you just have a single item at a time, as it's sounding like from some of the other comments; having no account at a library that's been switched, I can't really say more from experience - won't stop me from sounding off, though. :P), some days people want to grab multiple items (where a cart system helps). At worst, it should be a settings option, same as default lending period, to choose between a traditional cart or borrow now.

Quote:
13. Question: What type of checkout records do you keep (for recommendation records, etc)? JD Gumby

OverDrive does not keep user-identifiable information. All we receive from your library is your library card number, and we don't share individual checkout records with libraries. I'll ask the dev team for details on how the recommendation algorithm works.
Being on a touch device, it is *VERY* easy to accidentally browse something that you didn't mean to when scrolling through search results and such. Whether or not the information is being retained (and, frankly, no offense to you, but I don't believe *ANY* company's rep when they say the information's not being kept and used - been shown too often that it's not the case, especially given how easy it is to tie "anonymized" info to a single ID :/), it's whether or not a single bad click can forever taint your future results or not (like it does at retail sites if you browse while logged in and don't purge your cookies regularly)...

Quote:
Thanks again, guys. I'll check back in with you ASAP.
Regardless of eventual actions (or lack thereof) in regards to the various issues raised in this thread, good on ya for showing that you're at least paying attention to what's being posted and not just repeating a company line over and over that only barely has anything to do with what's being said (which, after many years on game forums and such, I've come to expect as the default from company reps :P). Speaks well of OverDrive.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 12-14-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #149
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Good job, Mike!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #150
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Thanks, Mike, you have picked up on my main complaints.

It seems the Added to Site when browsing through new books has been fixed at READS.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote