Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
gadgetdude
gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Glo
Call me impressed :)

So after a less than great experience trying to order a Glo directly kobo.com my Glo from Powell Books showed up along with the free sleepcover from the special they have running - great deals, great service, I will be a return customer.

It is a nice thing when you spend the time to do the research and are so pleased with your choice. I was an original Nook V1 owner - pre-ordered and suffered through the launch pains (ordered in October 2009 for the holidays - finally got it in early Feb. 2010). The original Nook was great, a bit off the mainstream but a joy to use. About a year ago I consolidated, sold off the Nook and a few other things and invested in the latest iPad - which I use constantly. My plan had been for the iPad to become my all around device but have found over the last year that while it looks great, for me, reading for any extended period of time beats the heck out of my eyes and I am simply not reading as much as I usually do - which is the whole point of this. I needed to get back to an e-ink device and at the end of the day the Kobo Glo has won my heart.

Some kind of an illuminated screen was a must - used a light with my Nook V1 and it was functional but a pain. Wasn't impressed with the Nook Glowlight, and even as a Prime member the Paperwhite was too locked down.

So it turns out that the few concerns I had about the Glo where basically a non issue for me. Mine does not have the "blue" light thing - might have only been the early release ones. As far as reading in the dark, while I read so many posts about it being "too bright!" - not for me, frankly even in the dark the lowest setting is a bit too dim. The UI is good and at the end of the day I'm reading again - I have a LONG list of books to catch up on.

I wanted to thank all of you that take the time to participate and share in this forum - your insight really helped me make the right call.

Enough of this... need to get back to reading.
gadgetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetdude View Post
... So it turns out that the few concerns I had about the Glo where basically a non issue for me. Mine does not have the "blue" light thing - might have only been the early release ones. As far as reading in the dark, while I read so many posts about it being "too bright!" - not for me, frankly even in the dark the lowest setting is a bit too dim. ...
My Kobo Glo is only about a month old now and I totally agree, they got the light on the reader as perfect as possible. There's very little difference between the lowest setting and completely off on mine, and like you, the dimmest setting is too low when reading in the dark, I have to set it at about 30%. There's absolutely zero color-blotch issues like the Kindle had, there's no bluish cast at all, there's not even the dark "cones" at the bottom where the LEDs are. The light is nice and even all over the screen, it's just done very nicely.

Either they improved the hardware since the first release of it, or the firmware updates have done something to regulate the light better, but I couldn't be happier with the light on the Glo.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
They improved the dimmest setting in the last-but-one firmware, I think.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I agree with you! It's just as easy to organize as a Sony T1, but the light blows it away. I like it better than my Paperwhite, too! It's my favorite ereader right now. I got mine from Powell's too.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
salinda
salinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo glo, bebook club s
my kobo glo is ordered and i get it tommorow, i can't wait! i have read so many bad things, that i was scared to order one, this message gives me hope.
salinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
It's really nice to see someone happy with their Glo. I adore mine, and tell everyone what a great device Kobo made and how happy I am with it.

It is especially nice to see you happy with your Glo in the wake of the release of the Aura. I think the Glo is special enough in its own right.
Liesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I think the Glo is better than the Aura - it fits securely in my grip one-handed and has a nice soft surface. The corners are rounded enough to not leave a mark on my palm. It easily fits in my bag in its case. The glo light is identical to the Aura. I have no problems with resolution. It is not so big that I lose my place on the page. And it's cheaper if I have to replace it!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
gadgetdude
gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
It is especially nice to see you happy with your Glo in the wake of the release of the Aura. I think the Glo is special enough in its own right.
The Aura was certainly on the list and again this is where all the discussion on this forum was very helpful. The Glo was the right call for me but I understand and am happy for those who are excited and enjoying their Auras.
gadgetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Glo is a much better fit for me as well. In fact, if Kobo had a 5" front-lit reader, that's the one I'd have bought instead. The Aura is great for those who want a bigger screen. Not great for portability though, and I take my reader with me everywhere.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Agreed. Kobo really screwed up on the Glo. It's such a good device there's no reason to buy the latest and great model of ereader. The back light is sweeeeet.

Nice to read that a recent update allowed for dimmer light settings. I hadn't read that one before.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
The Glo is a great ereader. I have one of the early release models. I read happily for hours on it and the only reason I upgraded to the Aura is because I wanted that little extra screen real estate. I prefer the light on the Aura and the improved HD screen allows me to use a smaller font than on my Aura, so I am really pleased with the reading experience. But if I did not have a hankering for the slightly larger screen, I would have stuck with my Glo.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I am impressed all over again! Today I put a 4GB SD card in my Glo and loaded a couple of books to the card via Calibre. I was reluctant, after my experience with the Sony T1. (Using the same tag it creates separate files, one on the main and one on the card). The Glo did not create duplicate collections! That is so awesome! Now I don't have to worry about where I have others in a collection when I am jumping between libraries and loading books, they will go where they are supposed to!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote