Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
MikeFromMesa
Enthusiast
MikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Color
Why can't I add fonts to my book?

I have been trying to convert an fb2 format book, with its Cyrillic fonts, into an ePub version that the Nook Color will read and understand. To do this I first converted the book from fb2 format to ePub format using Calibre and then tried to embed the fonts in the book by using Sigil.

But when I opened the book and then added the fonts to the Font folder (right-click, add existing, browse, select) a subsequent Validation gave me the following error:

This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).

I cannot get past this because without Sigil understanding fonts I cannot embed them in the file. I have tried to find out something about this in the help file, but come up empty. Can anyone tell me what this error means and how to get past it? Please?

Thanks.
MikeFromMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
read the thread about embedding fonts!

specifically, read & understand:
put the @font-face declaration statement into the CSS
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Adding the font to an ePub is not enough. You have to specify when and how it is used. Otherwise it is just taking up space. Hence the error message 'used, but not referenced'.

There are various threads about this around the forum. Please keep in mind, that when you make the correct reference in the stylesheet, you must also tell the XHTML files to use that stylesheet...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
MikeFromMesa
Enthusiast
MikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheese

I tried to be brief in my post and it appears to have only generated confusion.

Quote:
I actually did this. When I added the fonts to Sigil and got the error message the very first thing I did was add the @font-face statements into the style sheet. First into its own style sheet and, when that did not make any difference, into the default style sheet. Adding them made no difference and I assumed that it was because Sigil was ignoring the fonts as it said it was.

I would be happy to add the resulting style sheet code to this thread if you think it would make any difference, but no matter what changes I made I continued to get the "cannot reach" error.

Quote:
I have been trying to follow threads from many forums about embedding fonts. I do not know if I have seen the one you are referring to. Do you have a specific link I can look at?

Quote:
Adding the font to an ePub is not enough. You have to specify when and how it is used. Otherwise it is just taking up space. Hence the error message 'used, but not referenced'.
Actually the error message says that it cannot reach the font and it is NOT being used.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Beware of Case sensitivity errors
src:url(../fonts/vivaldii.TTF) format(opentype);
is not the same path as
.src:url(../Fonts/Vivaldii.TTF) format(opentype);
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
MikeFromMesa
Enthusiast

Yes, I suspected as much and made sure that the paths were the correct case. But thank you for the post anyway.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

Can you provide a link?
Thanks
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
MikeFromMesa
Enthusiast

Thanks for the post. Case sensitivity is not what turned out to be the issue. Spacing is.

The following did not work: src: url (../Fonts/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf);

The following did work: src: url(../Fonts/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf);

The single space after the url entry was what was causing all of the problems. When that was fixed the "cannot reach" error disappeared. Apparently the Sigil parsing is very strict. Go figure!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromMesa View Post
Thanks for the post. Case sensitivity is not what turned out to be the issue. Spacing is.

The single space after the url entry was what was causing all of the problems. When that was fixed the "cannot reach" error disappeared. Apparently the Sigil parsing is very strict. Go figure!
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

Would you please provide a reference?
Thank you
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Would you please provide a reference?
Thank you
when I last posted( about embedding fonts) I quoted from a thread with embedding fonts in the subject field about 3 threads down from this one, not exactly hard to find!

it is still on page 1 of current threads!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77430

Last edited by cybmole; 05-13-2011 at 01:33 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromMesa View Post

I am glad that Flightcrew parsing is that strict. With a space wouldn't work on readers also.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote