Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
PrinceOfBabylon
PrinceOfBabylon began at the beginning.

Device: Various PDAs
Unhappy Technical Questions about Dictionaries...

Hello and Happy New Year!!
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but Google keeps bringing this forum up in it's results so here goes.
I want to learn a new language, Japanese or Italian, haven't really decided yet which one I'm going to go for first. As part of the learning process I want to make my own Dictionary. Since I already know german and english I thought I could use both languages in the definitions, i.e.
<foreign word> - <1. german translation 2. english translation>
in one go, so instead of having two dictionaries (Italian - german & Italian - english) I would only have one (Italian - myKnowledge).
So I have been looking around the interwebs for a suitable dictionary program and decided on stardict since it will/would work on my N800. What I couldn't find yet - because it either doesn't exist or I'm way too stupid - is a program to make the actual dictionary.
In short I'm looking for a program that will let me name my dictionary (Mywonderfuldict) and then have one field to put in the foreign word and another field for the definitions. And then let me save everything to file that can be read by stardict or another program that runs on the Nokia N800. So far I have only found the stardict editor and the Babylon Glossary Builder both of which require me to already have a file with definitions to convert to their respective formats.
I want a program that let's me define the words, not convert a database into another. Is there such a program out there?

Sorry, if this post is a bit confused, I'm a bit tired what with partying and drinking and stuff.

Thanks in advance!
PrinceOfBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I suggest that you bump this about the middle of next week when more people will be around and in a mind of thinking through this.

in the mean time welcome to the forums, enjoy!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Welcome to mobileread ...

You may be better asking this question here in the Workshop
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Just looked around in Google a little bit...do you mean something like this?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Workshop forum. Discussions related to eBooks are prohibited in the Lounge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Check the wiki for information on dictionary.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote