Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur
John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Survival of Thomas Ford

Hello from Highlands of Scotland!
I've published my new novel, The Survival of Thomas Ford, as a Kindle ebook.
It means a lot to me to finally have a chance to get this book out to readers, because this novel had been locked in under contract with a London literary agent for over a year...nearer 18 months...felt longer...
My agent was certain he could sell the book, and the film consultant at the agency, who had been responsible for discovering Slumdog Millionaire as an unpublished manuscript and getting it developed into a film, thought my book was the best she had read at that agency in the last 4 years.
My agent found several editors who "loved the book", but the sales depts of the publishing houses did not agree and no sale was made.
So I have taken the book back into my own hands to sell direct to readers (hopefully)!
The novel is contemporary fiction, what you might call a literary thriller.
I would love to know what readers think of it!
All very best, John
www.johnaalogan.com
http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Thoma...pr_product_top
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Tho...9&sr=8-1-spell
(So far the book has 7 five-star reviews on Amazon UK, and 3 five-star reviews on Amazon US)

Last edited by John A. A. Logan; 02-03-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Update
John A. A. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur
John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Comments about John A. A. Logan’s work:

“Bold”
Catherine Lockerbie, SCOTLAND ON SUNDAY

“New talent”
Ashok K Banker, THE HINDUSTAN TIMES

“Writerly prowess”
Stephen Abell, THE SPECTATOR

“Logan writes in very original terms”
Dr David Moses, SCOTTISH STUDIES REVIEW

“A blistering, tough book, tempered with tenderness and mystery”
Alan Warner, author of THE STARS IN THE BRIGHT SKY
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Tho...99780&sr=8-1#_

The Survival of Thomas Ford has 4 five-star reviews now on Amazon.com (I need more American reviews please!), and 8 five-star reviews on Amazon.co.uk, including:

Perfection, by Tristan Hopkinson:
John Logan has created that rare thing - a thriller with a seriously literary voice behind it. His story-telling is marvellous, but it was the beautiful poetic lyricism of his writing that really got me. I hope to see him on a bookshelf very soon.

Gripping, by DphiLsi:
Purchased, downloaded and read inside 24 hours. This book had me gripped from the first few sentences until the very end. As someone who grew up in the Highlands I have always been very aware of the dark mysteries that the nights seem to hold up there... particularly in the forests. "The Survival of Thomas Ford" is a gripping story which you will find difficult to put down. Only start it if you have plenty time on your hands!

Page Turner, by Julia Knox:
Read this on the train to and from work, couldn't put it down, wished the journey was longer so I could read more!! great read.

Excellent literary thriller, by Rita Davidova:
John Logan has written a gripping, atmospheric novel. It's stayed with me for some time after reading it. The dawn of a strong new talent.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

Very excited! Don't know how it managed it but my novel, The Survival of
Thomas Ford, is number 85 just now in Top 100 all paid UK bestselling literary
fiction ebooks, the great Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is at 84...Martin Amis at
91...Maeve Binchy just below at 93!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Tho...9507896&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestselle...inc_1_4_last#5

Available in U.S. too (!):
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

Hi All,
In the UK my novel, The Survival of Thomas Ford, is currently Number 13 in TOP 100 paid bestselling literary fiction ebooks; it is number 18 in all paid UK literary fiction on Amazon, including the paperbacks and hardbacks.
It is also number 82 in the TOP 100 paid UK thriller ebook bestseller list.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Tho...s_362284031_16

Now...can I lure any stray American readers into also giving my book a go?

It is a wild, anarchic story, with plenty of action and strong characters...but with a wee bit of poetry too, here and there, for the good of the soul.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

The Survival of Thomas Ford has 12 five-star reviews now on Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Survival...0703866&sr=8-1

Including this one with a title that made me laugh out loud:

Gripped by the Goolies - Angus Dunn
A gripping read: about halfway down the second page, it grabbed me, then it just didn't let go. The characters are large and unpredictable, the story barely stops to take a breath and there's scarcely a spare word in the whole book. Tight. And full of energy.
Jimmy in particular is a wonderful character: disturbing and fascinating at the same time. And terrifying.
If John Logan can write like this, (and plainly he can) I'm astonished that he hasn't got a book deal. I hope we see more books from him.

Also available in the USA!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

The Survival of Thomas Ford has 15 five-star reviews now on Amazon UK (and 1 four-star):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Survival...1323365&sr=8-1

Here is the latest:

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Mar 2012
By rowat (scotland) - See all my reviewsThis review is from: The Survival of Thomas Ford (Kindle Edition)
I can't recommend this book highly enough - an intelligent, beautifully written thriller with well-drawn characters, good storyline and some cracking descriptions. I found a hint of menace throughout that blended so well with almost fairytale-like elements of nature - butterflies and cats flit in and out of the story. The driver of the car that caused the crash is so well sketched I could see him, and the other characters are equally well rounded. Only Thomas Ford himself remains a little of a mystery. Almost unputdownable.

Can I persuade any readers in the USA to give my book a try now?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

A five-star review of The Survival of Thomas Ford from Amazon.co.uk where it now has 16 five-star reviews:

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thriller I've read this year, 22 Feb 2012
By Kathy Russell "Kathy" (Blackburn, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Survival of Thomas Ford (Kindle Edition)
This book grips like a vice from beginning to end. From the dramatic car crash which opens the novel to the very dark and frightening ending. I loved it. The writing is a cut above so many other writers out there. Superb characterisation and with a plot that continuously wrong foots the reader. I cannot wait for his next book.

Also available on Amazon.com (where it has 8 five-star reviews!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Survival...pr_product_top
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

A five-star review of The Survival of Thomas Ford from Amazon.co.uk where it now has 19 five-star reviews (9 five-star reviews so far in USA):

5.0 out of 5 stars Black and brilliant, April 4, 2012
By Locksmith - See all my reviews
I came across this book on the authorselectric blog [...] which praised it to the skies. I'm a bit of a sceptic about rave reviews, but I bought it off Amazon and started reading to give myself a taster before doing some other work. Never did the work. I finished it the day after I started it and I loved it. It's a dark, archetypal story involving characters who give very little about themselves away but convince you very quickly that they are absolutely real. And the way the story moves is wonderful. Each event is bleakly horrible - a car crash caused by an apparent moronic thug that kills an innocent young woman is the first - and leads to an even worse event so fast, so unexpectedly, that I was left metaphorically gasping. It's like a border ballad, and is indeed set in Scotland. It brings motiveless, archetypal inhumanity right up to date. Love it!

These are the novel's UK sales rankings:
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #421 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#8 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Literary Fiction
#11 in Books > Fiction > Literary Fiction
#46 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Thrillers

Also available in USA!
(And thank-you to USA readers who downloaded this week..I hope you enjoy the book! 17500 downloads were taken in that free 48=hour promotion, most of those in USA!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Survival...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/The-Survival-T...pr_product_top
Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

John, I read an article somewhere about the pain you went through trying to get your novel published.

I think you're pretty much a case study for why I wanted to start supporting independent authors. Much is said about publishers being the gatekeepers, but I quickly grew more suspicious about what they were preventing me from reading than I was grateful for what they were protecting me from.

Since I've moved my reading to 50%+ independent, I believe I was correct to be suspicious and I simply don't trust publishers to be any kind of gatekeeper.

I still have a high respect for editing services of course - but they can be acquired with or without a publisher.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

Hi Caleb!
I think this is the article you mean:
http://authorselectric.blogspot.co.u...s-ford-by.html
Thanks again for your review of The Survival of Thomas Ford Caleb! I will put a link to the review here:
http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/0...ohn-a-a-logan/
I've been invited to be on a panel of indie authors at the launch of the Alliance of Independent Authors at London Book Fair on Wednesday 18 April, perhaps these issues will be discussed there!
One thing that is certainly good for independent authors is the existence of independent reviewers willing to read and review our work!
All best,
John

New five-star review of The Survival of Thomas Ford:

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting read from page one to the very end, April 7, 2012
By Zelda Barnard "Zelda Barnard" (Ferndale, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I rate this a 10 for sure. I hung on every word and had a hard time getting anything done because I was in a hurry to get back to my book to find out what happens next. I am going to be looking for more work by this author. His characters are SO REAL they make your skin crawl at times. At other times you just feel their pain. Terrific and exciting story and very unique.

And a new blog post, hot off press:
http://authorselectric.blogspot.co.u...e-by-john.html

Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

New book blogger review of The Survival of Thomas Ford:

http://bestebookreviews.blogspot.co....y-john-aa.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Survival...5541772&sr=8-1

25 five-star reviews now on Amazon UK!

14 five-star reviews on Amazon USA!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

Another five-star review of The Survival of Thomas Ford:

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of blood and mist, April 17, 2012
By Damascena - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
First, there is the mystery, which, in and of itself would be enough to warrant reading this book. But ...there is so much more. the writing is often breathtakingly exquisite, and occasionally verges on the poetic, in the true sense of that phrase. Next, this author has a way with mood and atmosphere that allows one to be in the moment of the book. He does this in 2 ways, first through dialog, which, as far as I can tell, is absolutely accurate to the region, without resorting to odd sounding words or phrases. But, even through the filter of a synthesized voice, I can *hear* the Scottish brogue, and the intonations and rhythms of the speech. Next, he uses words to create a faint, but persistent shadow of menace that floats like thin mist, gathering at times to become almost fog. I was always aware of it, lurking there, in the background, and yet, it was done with such a fine touch that I couldn't point to one specific thing, and say "this is what I mean". Put it all together, and you get a satisfying and unforgettable read ...which neatly juxtaposes real danger and even murder by a *very* unpleasant father/son duo, and spiritual, folkloric and mystical overtones to wonderful effect.

In addition, the characters are extremely believable. There is a bit of the hero in each villain, even the worst of them, and a bit of villain in each hero, even the best of them. They act in very human ways, and are motivated by much the same things that motivate all of us.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #14
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

http://kathleenjonesdiary.blogspot.c...-aa-logan.html

Blog review of The Survival of Thomas Ford

27 five-star reviews now on Amazon UK!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Survival...7410572&sr=8-1

15 five-star reviews on Amazon US!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Survival-T...7413098&sr=8-1
Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur

http://reviews.deanfetzer.com/2012/0...john-a-a-long/

Dean Fetzer's review of The Survival of Thomas Ford: "the best book I've read all year"

Tags
contemporary, fiction, literary, scottish, thriller