Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-04-2024, 09:53 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Kobo Sage DB backup not happening?

After the informative replies to my earlier question about backups, I configured my Kobo Utilities to backup my Sage daily. The specified folder remained empty. So I changed the setup to "on each connection" and the same result. What am I doing wrong THIS time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nob1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	205574  

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 01-04-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:37 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Where is F: ??
Backups should NOT be on the device (look at my config posted earlier. You must create those folders also)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2024, 11:58 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Where is F: ??
Backups should NOT be on the device (look at my config posted earlier. You must create those folders also)
F is a portable SSD, not the device. That folder already exists, I just cleared it of kobo related stuff to test the backup
Old 01-04-2024, 12:14 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Puzzled then.
I have 4 folders for my 2 devices. 2 are for the backups we are talking about, 2 are for archiving firmware (that is also configurable) updates if using extended
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:05 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Can you post an image of the Devices tab of the Kobo Utilities configuration dialog?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2024, 02:03 PM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Can you post an image of the Devices tab of the Kobo Utilities configuration dialog?
I will do that as soon as possible. We're having our carpet replaced today so it will be a while before normality returns
Old 01-04-2024, 04:17 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I will do that as soon as possible. We're having our carpet replaced today so it will be a while before normality returns
Did that about a decade back. Should have gone with hardwood but carpet was much cheaper. OTOH, we found out that the lump near one corner of the living room was box of two Chiclets gum that had been between the carpet and the underlay since the last carpet replacement.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:59 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

The carpet replacement went well, but misplacing the power cable for the ONT meant no internet for much longer than expected.

Here is the config screenshot requested. I have just tested it again, still no new files at all in the target folder
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	config.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	205611  
Old 01-05-2024, 07:07 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The carpet replacement went well, but misplacing the power cable for the ONT meant no internet for much longer than expected.

Here is the config screenshot requested. I have just tested it again, still no new files at all in the target folder
One thing I do differently is I have the database backed up daily, The reason being is that when you reconnect to update the metadata, the database gets backed up again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:03 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

On the off-chance that there was something about that particular SSD that was preventing the creation and saving of the Backup, I created a new directory on another external SSD tried again, then created one in my My Documents (internal SSD) and tried a third time. Results as shown.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	config2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	205616  
Old 01-05-2024, 11:16 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

I would suggest removing the Kobo Sage and Kobo Libra H2O items in the device list and the configure options for each device checkmark. At times, that list has lost it's connection to the devices after a firmware update, factory reset, whatever.

For me since the backup includes the device information and I use the same configuration for all them, I don't bother with the device list. However if you want to use it, if after removing the device list and the check mark for configure options for each device, try adding your Sage and Libra H2O back in and see if the database backup functions then.

What I meant by device information in the backup is the filename identifies the device and backup date:
KoboReader-KoboSage-N7abcdefghijk-20240105-123537.zip
KoboReader-KoboForma-N7abcdefghijk-20240103-212754.zip
KoboReader-KoboClaraHD-N2abcdefghijk-20240105-115905.zip
Old 01-06-2024, 12:59 AM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
I

What I meant by device information in the backup is the filename identifies the device and backup date:

As I mentioned before, there was no such file created. The only backup was the sqliite file I created. So there was no file to have any identifying information in its name.

HOWEVER, your suggestion to disable the "configure for each device" turned out to be the fix.

When I unchecked configure for each device, and connected my Sage, THEN this turned up in the designated folder
KoboReader-KoboSage-N77etc.zip

So, THANK YOU. I don't understand WHY the "configure for each device" setting actually prevents any backup at all from being created, but the why doesn't matter now that I have backup working
Old 01-07-2024, 03:43 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I would suggest removing the Kobo Sage and Kobo Libra H2O items in the device list and the configure options for each device checkmark. At times, that list has lost it's connection to the devices after a firmware update, factory reset, whatever.
Quote:
HOWEVER, your suggestion to disable the "configure for each device" turned out to be the fix.

So, THANK YOU. I don't understand WHY the "configure for each device" setting actually prevents any backup at all from being created, but the why doesn't matter now that I have backup working
Please see the first paragraph quoted and emphasized above of my response to you.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:53 AM   #14
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Please see the first paragraph quoted and emphasized above of my response to you.
Thank you for that, much appreciated.