Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
PRS t1 and Google drive

I was looking at google Drive as a backup to drop box... so I loaded an epub to the drive fired up the T1 browser and went to my drive... no problem there was the document i tapped/held and selected open.. I got the started downloading message and the icon appeared in the notification status bar when the download showed complete I cleared it as usual... the only thing is the book (a non-drm epub) did not show up on the books list or on the recently added display... it seems to have vanished into that great bit buckehttps://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/biggrin.gift in the sky.. after eliminating obvious things like a bad epub .. out of storage etc I have come to the conclusion that between google Drive and my T1 browser the file got corrupted and is no longer recognized as a valid epub has anyone any information or insight to add ???
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update.... the epub appears to end up as a .bin file on my T1.. no idea why.... it d/ls as an epub on my pc.. I have no problem with dropbox.. strange.. any ideas ?
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I do vaguely remember reading something about how using Google Drive wasn't a good idea as an alternative to dropbox, maybe this is why? (I think it was more to do with using it with Calibre though).

You could consider trying alternative cloud storage like copy.com, there was a thread about it in the general forum a while ago, online storage new kid on the block or something like that.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
bla
E bookworm

Thanks.....Yeah I think I will try a few more ....it's not a big deal as dropbox works well I was just thinking of a backup should dropbox vanish.... I really don't want to use the pc if I can avoid it.. have had a few problems with that
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
bla
E bookworm

Ok update... skydrive - T1 browser will not connect to skydrive
Google Drive - download works but downloads a weird binary file instead of the original file
Copy . com - will not download

Will keep looking but so far dropbox is the only one working on my un-rooted T1
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
bla
E bookworm

Thursday... still no luck.... as reported Copy will not download... my T1claims file is an "unsupported format"... it's an epub file copy must store files in it's own internal format ?.. maybe that's the problem with Google.. ?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Ndaara
I like frogs.
Ndaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony T2, Kindle Fire
Dropbox works great and is very easy to use, but it seems to be most expensive to buy more storage space than the others I've looked into. I was hoping to consolidate all my files in one place, thus my shopping for additional storage space.

Thank you for testing all of these!
Ndaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Dropbox just isn't big enough to keep me happy. My Sony 350 doesn't have wifi (and honestly I never miss it), but my Kobo Glo does so I set up access to my library but using SugarSync. Copy is great and will give you a LOT of free space which you can keep adding to, but it doesn't work well with the Kobo Glo and I can't download from it. You might try it out on the T1 though.

But SugarSync works great on the Kobo Glo and you'll get 6.1GB to start, which for now is more than enough for my library. Get more friends to sign up and they'll keep increasing your free space by 500MB to a max of 32GB free space. That's a HUGE difference from DropBox.

If you decide to try SugarSync, I'd very much appreciate if you'd use the link in my sig to sign up, we'll both get an extra 500MB then. But so far I'm liking it very much as an alternative to DropBox that works well with the limited reader browsers and provides much more free space than DropBox.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
bla
E bookworm

No thanks sugar sync want $7.70 a month lol not worth it for me as I just want a backup in case dropbox goes dark but thanks for the tip
Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I assumed you were using free DropBox storage and not paying. I have no idea how they compare for paid accounts, but I really have zero need for paid storage. I have around 2500 books, maybe 1/3 of those doubled up with both epub and mobi formats, and I only use half of the initial 6.1GB free space.

DropBox gives you 2GB free. SugarSync gives you 6.1GB free to start with the ability to increase your FREE storage up to a max of 32GB by having friends sign up for FREE accounts.

No payments at all, totally free.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
bla
E bookworm

Maybe I am reading something wrong but sugarsync is only free for a 30 day trial period after which it is 7.50 a month ?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Follow the link in Ripplinger's sig, and although it states at the top "Try Free for 30 Days" it lists four options on the left:

Subscription Plan:

60 GB - $7.49 / month
100 GB - $9.99 / month
250 GB - $24.99 / month
5 GB - Free

So click the bottom option and you'll get 5GB plus an extra 500MB for using the referral link for no cost.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Right, don't sign up for anything pay as l_macd said. When you first sign up for those 5GB, you'll get an extra 500KB if you use my link (I do as well), plus you'll earn another 625KB for completing certain tasks after signing up, like sharing a folder, installing the software, etc., giving you 6.1GB to start out with free. And it stays totally free, it doesn't stop after 30 days.

I'd create a 2nd free account rather than pay for the storage. And if you need a lot more space, Copy works out very well for the PC and downloading to my phone. The browser on the Kobo Glo just doesn't work very well with the Copy layout. And with Copy, getting friends to sign up increases your free space by 5GB per signup, and I don't think there's any max cap on the free amount you can earn there (in fact, someone posted they have over 250GB free space so far). I use Copy for uploading my photos, especially while I'm out of town so if my Netbook dies or gets lost, I don't lose anything after I transfer pics off my camera nightly.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
bla
E bookworm

Ok thanks will do.... I obviously DID read it wrong.. and I will use your link when I get around to it...
Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
bla
E bookworm

lol Ripplingers links are not working and there is NO free option on the sugarsync site only 30 days free trial rubbish.... lost interest something funny going on with that sugarsync I am smelling a big long deceased rodent here lol