Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Sony, Nook ST and Kobo uses same IR touch screen technology from Neonode. Sony T1 and T2 has pinch zoom while Kobo has not implemented this feature.
If I recall correctly, a Kobo rep on Mobileread has indicated it's on their roadmap to add that feature (though, *when* we should see it is anyone's guess).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #17
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
If I recall correctly, a Kobo rep on Mobileread has indicated it's on their roadmap to add that feature (though, *when* we should see it is anyone's guess).
There was a confusion about this on a different thread somewhere too.

What Sameer actually said was "Unfortunately we do not support multi-touch on these devices."

The road map was about the thing he quoted after that, which was also about zooming but not specifically pinch zoom:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0440&page=3#31

So I'd say it's still unclear whether it's the pinch zoom that's on the road map, or whether its just some zooming method...

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-11-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
I'm just not sure if I remember this correctly or not, but I thought I saw something somewhere about not being able to follow footnote hyperlinks on Kobos. I download the NY Times via Calibre every day and need to be able to use hyperlinks to navigate between articles and sections. Will I be able to do this on a Kobo Glo?
Technically it works on my device (Kobo Touch with latest firmware) ... with the big caveat that, assuming you are using normal font sizes, it is VERY hard to hit a footnote link with the accuracy required to activate the hyperlink. Most of the time the dictionary will pop up instead. Thus hyperlinks work technically and in theory but are ergonomically more or less dysfunctional as far as footnotes are concerned.
You may have more success though with hyperlinks presenting a larger target like article titles ...
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Unhappy Footnotes on Glo

Hi, this is my experience so far (also with Discworld books), and driving me batty. Let me know if anyone has come up with a workaround (other than randomly changing font size until the number happens to be in the right place).

Kobo states that you tap on the underlined number, which takes you to the end note (no footnotes yet in ebooks, period), then select the return icon to go back to the main text. They seem to have forgotten that you ALSO tap to turn the page. So, if the footnote number happens to land in one of the vertical areas used to turn the page, you're out of luck. I've sent Kobo an email about this, with the (rather obvious) suggestion that the footnote hotspot should be prioritized over the page turn bar. So far no response. Another solution could be I guess to have a settings option to require a swipe for a page turn, or a double tap.

Frankly, I can't believe this hasn't been addressed, it's not like footnotes are a negligible quirk in the world of book publishing.

Does anyone have this issue on a Kindle Touch/Paperwhite?
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goesta View Post
Hi, this is my experience so far (also with Discworld books), and driving me batty. Let me know if anyone has come up with a workaround (other than randomly changing font size until the number happens to be in the right place).
On my Glo (firmware 2.3.2), I have to tap somewhere other than a link in order to turn a page, otherwise the link gets priority.

I don't have the Discworld books, do you have an example of a free book with the problem? The book I just tried works fine: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/83/war-and-peace
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I've done ok with footnotes in some Sherlock Holmes stuff from Gutenberg on the Touch. Don't run into footnotes very often though.
I don't remember there being many footnotes in Sherlock Holmes stories, or are these non-canon books?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by goesta View Post
Kobo states that you tap on the underlined number, which takes you to the end note (no footnotes yet in ebooks, period), then select the return icon to go back to the main text. They seem to have forgotten that you ALSO tap to turn the page. So, if the footnote number happens to land in one of the vertical areas used to turn the page, you're out of luck. I've sent Kobo an email about this, with the (rather obvious) suggestion that the footnote hotspot should be prioritized over the page turn bar. So far no response. Another solution could be I guess to have a settings option to require a swipe for a page turn, or a double tap.
Are you using a small font? Links in epubs work for me so long as the link is big enough to tap. But, as I use a small font, the single superscript number used for a not is usually to small for my large fingers to select. Sometimes it work if I use a pointer. But, generally, I have to increase the font size.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
On my Glo (firmware 2.3.2), I have to tap somewhere other than a link in order to turn a page, otherwise the link gets priority.

I don't have the Discworld books, do you have an example of a free book with the problem? The book I just tried works fine: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/83/war-and-peace
Hi, thanks for the response. I have meanwhile tried using a stylus and have indeed had the same experience as you: the footnote is in fact prioritized, but if you try to tap with a (big) finger, you tend to get the page turn instead. Interestingly/frustratingly, the stylus works reasonably well with footnotes in the left & right areas, but if the note happens to fall on the first or last line of the page, I get the top/bottom menu popping up instead of the note, no matter how precise I try to be.

Also, I have differing degrees of success depending on what I use for a stylus. The size of the tip seems crucial -- too small and it isn't recognized, too large (eg. pencil eraser) and it becomes too inaccurate. Can anyone recommend a good stylus for the Glo?

Thanks for the responses!
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I don't remember there being many footnotes in Sherlock Holmes stories, or are these non-canon books?
No, this is the canon. The guy who transcripted it for Gutenberg used footnotes (or endnotes to be more precise) to explain some of the language choices he made when trying to get it as close to the original publication as possible.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, this is the canon. The guy who transcripted it for Gutenberg used footnotes (or endnotes to be more precise) to explain some of the language choices he made when trying to get it as close to the original publication as possible.
Ah, so they're non-English?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
No, not at all. If you'd like to see for yourself, the book in question is A Study in Scarlet, the first Holmes novel.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #27
moffattm
Addict

Quote:
No, not at all. If you'd like to see for yourself, the book in question is A Study in Scarlet, the first Holmes novel.
Ok, I get it, the guy pointed out every spelling, grammar and punctuation error from the original text. I guess that's of some mild interest, but mainly to show how sloppy the typesetting was back in those days!

I originally thought that you meant the original text had footnotes.

Thanks for sharing! I've just finished reading Time For Sherlock Holmes which I found quite entertaining if you don't mind mixing time travel with Sherlock Holmes!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I tried but never could get Sameer to say pinch zoom was in Kobo Touch readers future. The company supplying IR touch screen system for Kobo readers advertise they support touch zoom and show truly amazing demo video of higher frequency IR touch that looks as good as any multi touch screens but probably not for e-ink.

When I load the same books onto my Sony T1 with hyper links the the link indicates it is a link but not on Kobo Touch when same book is loaded by Calibre. I can not understand why Kobo firmware is crippling such a useful feature. Such links along with author bio in front of book would help advertise related books by same author sold by Kobo or other sources and would be much better than some of their other advertising efforts. Everyone is use to seeing this in front and back of paper books and I find it useful.

Last edited by filmo; 01-30-2013 at 03:49 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #29
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
When I load the same books onto my Sony T1 with hyper links the the link indicates it is a link but not on Kobo Touch when same book is loaded by Calibre. I can not understand why Kobo firmware is crippling such a useful feature. Such links along with author bio in front of book would help advertise related books by same author sold by Kobo or other sources and would be much better than some of there other advertising efforts. Everyone is use to seeing this in front and back of paper books and I find it useful.
This does work on Kobos, but perhaps only for kepubs as yet.

For example, the free book "Season of the Harvest" by Michael Hicks has a link to the Author's web site on the copyright page. If I tap the link on my Glo a window pops up advising that the link goes to an external website and asking if I want to open the browser.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #30
Sydalg
Sydalg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi, I've just got a Kobo Glo and the Table of Contents links don't work on it, even though they work fine where the book is stored on my laptop in Adobe Digital Editions. I'm downloading via Calibre, and I'd really appreciate any advice. I've tried looking up sites that deal with this but the tech jargon is beyond me. I downloaded the books in epub, but there's a choice of other formats if I want to go back and do it again.
Sydalg is offline   Reply With Quote