Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2003, 04:47 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Are you an e-book Pirate?

Today I came across an interesting Geek.com article which links to an even more interesting Writeonyourpalm.net article.

One thing that caught my eye was the following quote:
Quote:
Although I love, and actually prefer, to read eBooks on my CLIÉ or iPAQ, I don't find a lot of other PDA owners who read much on their device.
Heh... I am sure the author hasn't heard of us yet
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Interesting stuff...
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2003, 04:20 PM   #3
Chi-Chi
Raving Lunatic
Chi-Chi began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NX-70
Talking

Quote:
Interesting stuff...
I thought so too.
Chi-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:29 PM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Well, it just goes to show that you need to really scrutinize the places that you download from. I feel pretty confident that when I log on to Blackmask or Project Gutenberg that I'm getting content that is in the public domain.

And yes, I'm much happier carrying my Clie with 20 books on it than I am carrying even one book. Besides, it cuts down on the possibility of paper cuts.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:29 PM   #5
Chi-Chi
Raving Lunatic

Talking

Quote:
Well, it just goes to show that you need to really scrutinize the places that you download from. I feel pretty confident that when I log on to Blackmask or Project Gutenberg that I'm getting content that is in the public domain.

And yes, I'm much happier carrying my Clie with 20 books on it than I am carrying even one book. Besides, it cuts down on the possibility of paper cuts.
Well that's okay. I believe I have heard that somewhere before.What is that feeling like? Do you mean your name is confident that when he or she log on to Blackmask or Project Gutenberg that he or she is getting content that is in the public domain. Are you kidding? Do you mean your name is happier carrying his or her Clie with 20 books on it than he or she is carrying even one book. "It" being what? I am so glad you find this amusing, .
Advert
Old 04-06-2003, 04:43 PM   #6
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Quote:
Originally posted by sUnShInE
And yes, I'm much happier carrying my Clie with 20 books on it than I am carrying even one book. Besides, it cuts down on the posibility of paper cuts.
Last trip to Florida I added a few eBooks to my Clie, thinking I didn't have enough *variety* to last...and counted 72 books on the MS... (have to change that famous saying to "so many ebooks, so little battery juice")

gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:55 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chi-Chi, don't I know you from somewhere?
Old 04-10-2003, 06:55 AM   #8
Chi-Chi
Raving Lunatic

Do you have any conditions I should know about? I am so glad you find this amusing, .
Old 04-10-2003, 06:56 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

You don't make much sense so you definately have to be the person (yeah right!) I was thinking of!
Old 05-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #10
macumazahn
macumazahn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E
I just put a 512m sd in my Tungsten E and am loading over 500 books to it, I seem to be only reading books that are in public domain, there are so many, and I have always wanted to read a number of the classics.
macumazahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #11
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Alexander, you and I both remember Chi-chi from somewhere. She didn't make any sense there and doesn't here, and I, for one, do not find "it" or "her" amusing. Philippe Radley
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:46 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Philippe,

you're right, Chi-Chi used to be among us. But her last post was August 25th, 2003 and I am 'fraid she is no more. RIP, Chi-Chi.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:02 PM   #13
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Formatting is obviously an important aspect of any printed book. Because of their screen size and appearance, PDA's often cannot in my opinion successfully replace printed texts: I am currently slogging my way through "Bleak House" on my T3 and I cannot take it in the way I did the print version many years ago: Dickens' long paragraphs lose their thrust and continuity on a PDA screen. I tried reading both Proust and Joyce on my T3 and gave up: I think that, were the authors alive today, they would lay out their texts differently to accomodate this new medium.

I find current news and straightforward fiction - mysteries and thrillers, for example - easiest to read on a PDA.

I am bewildered by those who carry a 100 books on their handhelds. What on earth for? Are we preparing for some calamity where, in case we are stranded for a long period of time away from our libraries, we will have the library with us, just in case? It's like some of my friends who, like me, own 20-40gig iPods, and who carry 100's of hours of music around: when will they listen to it?

Philippe Radley
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:08 PM   #14
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
I am currently slogging my way through "Bleak House" on my T3 and I cannot take it in the way I did the print version many years ago: Dickens' long paragraphs lose their thrust and continuity on a PDA screen.
Radleyp, I completely agree with you. I can read full e-books on my PDA, but it seems the "paper" feeling is somewhat amiss. And I think you're right, the main reason is the tiny screen size. This is why I'm hoping the new e-book readers that are promised to come out soon will change that feeling.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:50 PM   #15
macumazahn
macumazahn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E
Love the small size, it fits in my front pocket and can be taken anywhere, I work on PCs and when they are doing something such as virus checking, I will be reading a book, I find the autoscroll keeps my eyes from jumping around the page and keeps me from doing a type of super speed reading I learned in school, why I carry so many titles, why not, what are these large SD memory cards for anyway? VBG
macumazahn is offline   Reply With Quote