Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
The only Kindle I've had break from usage was a Kindle Keyboard. The page turn button on the right gave up. I've not had the tap-to-turn business fail from use. As for the tapping not always registering, that's true. But, the mechanical buttons didn't always register, either. That's why my Keyboard broke.

The computer component most likely to fail on my computers is the keyboard. I like mechanical keyboards and will take the hassle and expense in stride but they are still the most likely failure.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I swore up and down that I would never buy/use a reader that didn't have physical page turn buttons. I stomped my feet. I didn't want a touch screen. It would get all smudged. I was an a-hole to anybody who didn't recognize the superiority of the physical button (and the inherent grunge-factor of the touch screen). I LOVED those buttons.

Or so I thought.

I don't miss--or even think about--them any more. I picked up my old kindle and couldn't even imagine why I was so in love with those buttons.

Silly buttons.

Oh, and the touch-screen really is ridonkulously smudged up. I just don't see them any more unless I make it a point to (though I did religiously clean it at first).

It's a post-button world. I no longer fight it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The new novelty is open android ereaders.
With page turn buttons.

The next novelty?
Probably Win10 ereaders with Calibre pre-installed and customized.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Less user friendly though
I disagree I like the completely touch screen and no buttons. Just means that there is less to wear out.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the touch screen is much easier to use than the buttons for page turns. Swiping to turn the page is more like turning the page of a pBook.

Question...When you read pBooks, did you complain about the page turn method?
Not everyone reads at a desk or sitting upright.

I prefer to read in bed 1 handed.

The Astak (jinke V5) has a jog wheel on the right edge that I use 98% of the time for page turns.

When I use the K4NT, I run inverted display as the forward button is in the wrong place Forward under Index finger (same finger I turned paper books with), TOP LOCATION, Lab126, not side. In addition, I need to now use a CASE because they made the button motion towards the back and I need a gripping point.

As you get older, you lose some fine motor skills (I never had them). Precision tap, swipes, pinches are difficult (I can't even do the gnip-whatever) for me. The first thing I had to do on my Touchpad Laptop, was turn OFF tapping (99% false activations), and I carry a travel mouse in the bag for use where there is enough surface.

I am not alone. These short sighted manufacturers are aiming to disenfranchise many seniors whose eyesight is still good enough to read books.
Bring back the page turn buttons. You are saving less than $1 ( simple Satellite/cable box remote wholesales for under $2 in bulk. it has lots of buttons)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #21
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
It depends on the overall design of the device, I think.

I never minded the page turn buttons on my Sony PRS-300, and since I occasionally still use it, I still don't. And while you could use buttons on the 350, the design wasn't optimised for it.

Since then I've used a 1st gen Kindle Fire and now, a Lenovo Android tablet, and neither are particularly good at using the volume buttons for page turning. The buttons are out of the way and not well positioned for use as a page turning device. It's EASIER to use a screen swipe on them.

On a practical note, if a button mechanism doesn't exist, it can't break and require service. (After sale service is a major expense for tech mfgrs).
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #22
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Less user friendly though

As some who builds circuit boards, switches are easily broken or break the solder connection with the board the more it is used.

Auntykatkat
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #23
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I swore up and down that I would never buy/use a reader that didn't have physical page turn buttons. I stomped my feet. I didn't want a touch screen. It would get all smudged. I was an a-hole to anybody who didn't recognize the superiority of the physical button (and the inherent grunge-factor of the touch screen). I LOVED those buttons.

Or so I thought.

I don't miss--or even think about--them any more. I picked up my old kindle and couldn't even imagine why I was so in love with those buttons.

Silly buttons.

Oh, and the touch-screen really is ridonkulously smudged up. I just don't see them any more unless I make it a point to (though I did religiously clean it at first).

It's a post-button world. I no longer fight it.
I thought the same thing with my Kindle 4. I still have it, but I now have a 2014 Kindle Touch that I bought a few days ago, and find it to be better. There was one time I had a touch screen e-reader that went berzerk when I happened to tap for a page turn at the same time as going over several potholes during a commute. But thankfully I learned to use the bookmark feature obsessively.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My Sony PRS-T1 has both buttons and swipe-to-turn. I like having both options. For reading one-handed in portrait mode, I use the buttons, as it's more comfortable. For reading in landscape mode, I use the swipe feature as my thumb doesn't reach the buttons in that orientation.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Question...When you read pBooks, did you complain about the page turn method?
No more than I complained about not being able to change the font, increase the text size or fit several thousand titles between the same covers. Maybe those should go next to make e-readers a more analog experience?

Sheesh
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #26
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My, oh, my, whatever happened to manual tyhpewriters? I liked the clickety-clack and being able to hit the keys with six pounds of pressure. And whatever happened to typsetting with lead slugs? Ah, the good ole days. And inkwells? How long has been been since you were able to write with ink dipped from an inkwell? And, I really miss crank starters on cars. There was a very tactile experience especially if the choke wasn't set properly and the crank kicked back. Ah, yes, the good old days. And why have a lighted screen. Candles work and are so romantic.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-03-2015 at 05:30 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, the touch screen is much easier to use than the buttons for page turns. Swiping to turn the page is more like turning the page of a pBook.
In your opinion.

I guess I'm spoiled by the Nook Simple Tough. It has both buttons and a touchscreen. I tend to hold the reader in the bottom, left corner. It is very convenient and comfortable to use the page turn button to go forward and tap the left side of the screen to go back. Tap zones and swiping won't make up for that.

I'm not a Luddite. When my NST gives up the ghost, I'll buy a new reader and adapt. But I seriously doubt I will come to see the new experience as 'better.' Not without some Winston Smith 'He loved Big Brother' conversion therapy.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
My, oh, my, whatever happened to manual tyhpewriters? I liked the clickety-clack and being able to hit the keys with six pounds of pressure. And whatever happened to typsetting with lead slugs? Ah, the good ole days. And inkwells? How long has been been since you were able to write with ink dipped from an inkwell? And, I really miss crank starters on cars. There was a very tactile experience exspecially if the choke wasn't set properly and the crank kicked back. Ah, yes, the good old days. And why have a lighted screen. Candles work and are so romantic.
Whatever dude I don't know you personally, but it's nice to know there's ONE person on the internet who's never used it to complain since every single new technological change is a major improvement over the last.

Please tell me you installed Windows 8 without a touchscreen on day one and it was nothing but smiles
Old 07-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
I dislike screen taps for page turning because the software does not always respond to the tap or swipe, and fingers leave an oily residue on the screen. The failure rate of buttons has been greatly exaggerated.
I don't get oily residue on my H2O screen. I don't tap, I swipe. By swiping, there is less chance to leave a noticeable fingerprint on the screen. Stop tapping and get swiping.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
My, oh, my, whatever happened to manual tyhpewriters? I liked the clickety-clack and being able to hit the keys with six pounds of pressure. And whatever happened to typsetting with lead slugs? Ah, the good ole days. And inkwells? How long has been been since you were able to write with ink dipped from an inkwell? And, I really miss crank starters on cars. There was a very tactile experience exspecially if the choke wasn't set properly and the crank kicked back. Ah, yes, the good old days. And why have a lighted screen. Candles work and are so romantic.
You forgot:
Bringing in hot stone for heat in carriages , Getting up in the morning and shoveling coal into the boiler. Hauling ice to the Ice Box

(My typewriter is in the garage, right next to the dot matrix printer )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote