Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #421
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Remember the TRS-80?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
How odd. I have IOS 7 on my phone and it doesn't bother me at all. That's not to say it is perfect, but I certainly don't get motion sickness. Anyway, nothing is perfect for everyone. Each to his own, I say. I have been an Apple fanatic since 1988 and likely to remain so. Everything is Apple EXCEPT my kindle. I love the e-ink. if I went for a tablet, not sure -- probably the iPad mini. I am just too integrated into the Apple world. But I would probably keep purchasing kindle books.

There are people who hate Amazon for the same reason you hate Apple. They are controlling everything. It used to be Sony who controlled everything. Or it's Microsoft?
Funny you mention that. When everyone was buying the Apple II, I was buying the TRS-80 from Radio Shack. Even then I refused to pay the Apple II price.

Later, when Apple sales soared, I purchased IBM Personal Computers with MS DOS. There seemed to be more games for DOS back then as compared to Apple. Plus, Lotus 1-2-3 ran on the IBM PC's and NOT on the Apples. I needed that for my job.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #422
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Yes. I remember the Lotus 1-2-3 problem. Fortunately, I never needed that program. Software has been a problem at times with Apple. Still is. I am just glad that the kindle software is available everywhere. That is one thing that Amazon has really done well.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 AM   #423
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I can't read on any device, book, magazine or newspaper without my glasses. I've had reading prescriptions for 30 years. The closer I bring the reading material to me the worse it is, but its blurry no matter how I hold it.

I have varilux (progressives) and reading glasses. I can use one or the other for reading.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #424
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Some users of the new iOS are getting dizzy after using it. That's one more "feature" which would be bad for folks like me.
And Apple apparently anticipated that some people wouldn't like it so much, and even anticipated that it would be considered a health issue, as they put the setting to turn it off in their accessibility settings.

Settings->General->Accessibility->Reduce Motion

You and others are blowing it out of proportion.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #425
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
I could use my Note3 for reading. Much more better for that due weight/resolution ratio than any iProduct ever. The problem is the light. In the dark, when I mostly read, that light really starts hurting in the long run. That and only that is why it MUST be the PW and not phone or tablet.

Last edited by Stringer; 10-08-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #426
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Anyone else order one in the past few days? I ordered it on the 6th and still no estimated date.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #427
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I could use my Note3 for reading. Much more better for that due weight/resolution ratio than any iProduct ever. The problem is the light. In the dark, when I mostly read, that light really starts hurting in the long run. That and only that is why it MUST be the PW and not phone or tablet.
If it's Android get the Screen Dim app. It solves that problem. The developer is a member here.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-10-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #428
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
And Apple apparently anticipated that some people wouldn't like it so much, and even anticipated that it would be considered a health issue, as they put the setting to turn it off in their accessibility settings.

Settings->General->Accessibility->Reduce Motion

You and others are blowing it out of proportion.
Unfortunately that setting removes only the home screen parallax movement, for example it does not remove the zooming that many people have found the most problematic motionsicknesswise.

Here is one thread on it at Apple's support forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5338037
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #429
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If it's Android get the Screen Dim app. It solves that problem. The developer is a member here.
Sorry to ruin your day, but no it doesn't. With amoled screen and black screen/white text the light levels might be tolerable, but the font is way too shiny still. Or if you dim it, then barely readable because too grey. If you use other color combinations, then it is same as with backlight screens. You can dim it with such programs of course, but at the same time it also makes it harder to see the text.

Been there done that, not a good solution.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #430
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Sorry to ruin your day, but no it doesn't. With amoled screen and black screen/white text the light levels might be tolerable, but the font is way too shiny still. .
Do you mean to say, the screen is too shiny?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #431
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Do you mean to say, the screen is too shiny?
The text is too shiny, if you use black background and white text (without dimming).

The whole problem is the light coming directly to your eyes. There is no way to reduce that on a dark room while still keeping the text clear and easy to read.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #432
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
The text is too shiny, if you use black background and white text (without dimming).

The whole problem is the light coming directly to your eyes. There is no way to reduce that on a dark room while still keeping the text clear and easy to read.
I see. On my Nook HD, the screen was too shiny to read on, so I put a glare shield over it, and it made a big difference. However it does mute the colors and brightness of everything else, as well as books.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #433
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Why use a black background with white text?!? Ick! I can't look at black backgrounds or white text they mess with my eyes. Not to mention I can see myself which is worse, very distracting.

Try a sepia theme for the Kindle app it's what I use. If it's Mantano I find I prefer Grey with Black text for night reading sometimes I will use sepia though I made myself. Using Screen Dim and a more comfortable theme you shouldn't have any problem reading on it.

On Mantano you can use any font. Use a font with more weight for night reading. It depends on the device. I find on my Samsung Galaxy Player 5. Nokia Pure Font works best while on my Kindle Fire I use Amasis Bold or Trebuchet Bold.

I have 3 different LCD devices soon to be four. No problem reading on the first 3 in the dark with Screen Dim.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #434
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Why use a black background with white text?!? Ick! I can't look at black backgrounds or white text they mess with my eyes. Not to mention I can see myself which is worse, very distracting.

Try a sepia theme for the Kindle app it's what I use. If it's Mantano I find I prefer Grey with Black text for night reading sometimes I will use sepia though I made myself. Using Screen Dim and a more comfortable theme you shouldn't have any problem reading on it.

On Mantano you can use any font. Use a font with more weight for night reading. It depends on the device. I find on my Samsung Galaxy Player 5. Nokia Pure Font works best while on my Kindle Fire I use Amasis Bold or Trebuchet Bold.

I have 3 different LCD devices soon to be four. No problem reading on the first 3 in the dark with Screen Dim.
I have tried it all when I had no choice. I wont be going back since no matter what tweaks and themes I try, it always comes to the same end: my head hurts due eye straining. Good for you if you feel different, but lets just leave it to that.

And yes, I agree the white on black is horrible theme. I said it only because we were talking about light levels.

Last edited by Stringer; 10-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #435
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I have tried it all when I had no choice. I wont be going back since no matter what tweaks and themes I try, it always comes to the same end: my head hurts due eye straining. Good for you if you feel different, but lets just leave it to that.

And yes, I agree the white on black is horrible theme. I said it only because we were talking about light levels.
Did you actually try the screen dim app I mention it's different from the other apps it let you turn down brightness and contrast separately so you can get the perfect balance. It also lets you do presets.

I'm not sure what resolution the Note3 has but I hear on the newer tablets like the Nexus 7 and now Kindle Fire HDX that the screen is perfect for reading due to the higher ppi. You might want to give a new tablet a try and see if it solves that problem for you My HDX will be here next Friday! The reading app on the Kindle Fire is much nicer than the Android app and easier to look at. It looks nothing like the Kindle Android app and has more font choices.

I keep hearing how many who could not read on a tablet love the Nexus 7 and seeing the HDX has same type screen I believe it will be just as enjoyable.