Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #256
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
Yes. I wondered if they are any better because they're genuine leather. I'm also trying to find out if they are sold anywhere else besides amazon.
I tend to be suspicious of any Amazon or eBay seller's claim that leather is genuine as opposed to PU -- more often than otherwise, the claim proves to be untrue.

I'm especially skeptical when, as here, there are absolutely no reviews of the case in question.

What I'd suggest doing is reading reviews of more popular/time-tested mulbess cases to see whether that "genuine leather" promise is fulfilled.

Edit: Reading reviews of mulbess's other "genuine leather" cases on Amazon, I find that this is the common sentiment:

Quote:
Was under the impression it would be real leather but it's fake.
However, most reviewers seem to conclude that mulbess cases are reasonably good.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-04-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #257
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It would be nice to know the difference between the Mulbess/Gecko covers and the more generic ones that appear visibly identical. More appropriate magnet strength? Better QA? Nothing except branding?

After receiving an Aura HD for christmas I've been looking at cases to help with the slippery surface This thread has been a great help and like many others the contoured PU Leather back case and the Noreve case are looking attractive.

I've got a few questions for their owners:

1. Are they stiff enough to hold open like a book or are they only designed to be held folded back? I'm guessing the cheapy isn't but is the Noreve?

2. Is the flappy bit for the Noreve's landscape stand annoying? It seems odd to set up an Aura HD case that way, have you ever used the stand?

3. What are you experiences of holding the Aura HD upright with one hand using those cases? I find it impossible without a case (too slippy!) and it's one of my primary criteria, so general impressions would be appreciated.

A couple of other potential covers I've come across that I've not seen mentioned here are:

The BigStrawberry/British Library hardback cases:
http://bigstrawberry.com/product-cat...itish_library/

They claim to have a multi-fit system that looks to be some sort of sucky/sticky gell but I wonder how well it would work with the back of the Aura HD.

The Skinomi Skins:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ywords=Aura+HD

I'm mainly after the case to help with handling. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the DecalGirl skins weren't as grippy as they could be and I'm wondering if these would be an improvement.

Last edited by EndlessWaves; 01-16-2014 at 05:54 AM.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #258
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Y'know, Indigo.ca has the genuine Aura HD Sleepcover in black available online for just $25 -- half what the retail store price is. And it's a great cover (I don't like the Aura Sleepcover, but the Aura HD one is very nice):

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereadi...ssories%3a1%3a
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #259
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
It would be nice to know the difference between the Mulburry/Gecko covers and the more generic ones that appear visibly identical. More appropriate magnet strength? Better QA? Nothing except branding?
It's Mulbess, not Mulburry . To answert the question Mulbess does good covers (I have had one for my ipad for 2 years now).

For the record, Mulburry is a great brand, and what they do is really in leather, my travelling bags set still looks new after 20 years, I kid you not, but no e-reader cover so far.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:21 AM   #260
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
I've been using the official Kobo case for a few months and I noticed that cracks appeared on both top corners of the case.

It never fell, so my guess is that this is caused by the temperature variations due to winter (going outside, going into the train, going outside again...): The reader is so tightly inserted into the case that these variations may create tensions resulting in the plastic case cracking. Hopefully now that a little free space has been created by these cracks, they won't grow larger...

Anybody else seeing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cracks.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	118015  
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #261
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
It's Mulbess, not Mulburry.
Yeah, just a typo. I guess you mean Mulberry, I can't see any company called Mulburry?

Pointing out that there is a similarly named company, producing things in a similar area (tablet cases) that's been around a long time and has a good reputation doesn't reflect very well on 'Mulbess', especially as they don't appear to have published any website/company information.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #262
Akerbos
Akerbos began at the beginning.

I got myself the Slimfit cover from Gecko Covers for my Aura HD.

It's a snug fit but is still easy enough to remove. The sleep cover function works reliably so far. The inside material is very soft and the shell is sturdy enough to feel safe with.

My only concern is that the outer material is very smooth (not leathery) so the reader starts sliding when put on planes with only small inclination.
Akerbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #263
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I can confirm that the DecalGirl skins do help to reduce the slippery effect of the Aura HD's surface. While not made of a "grip" material they provide enough texture for me to be able to hold and turn pages comfortably and securely with one hand. An added bonus is the elimination of fingerprints that seem to plague this model. I have the matte black installed and it is almost undetectable. I have a beautifully smooth matte surface sans logo -- very clean.

Quote:
It would be nice to know the difference between the Mulbess/Gecko covers and the more generic ones that appear visibly identical. More appropriate magnet strength? Better QA? Nothing except branding?

After receiving an Aura HD for christmas I've been looking at cases to help with the slippery surface This thread has been a great help and like many others the contoured PU Leather back case and the Noreve case are looking attractive.

I've got a few questions for their owners:

1. Are they stiff enough to hold open like a book or are they only designed to be held folded back? I'm guessing the cheapy isn't but is the Noreve?

2. Is the flappy bit for the Noreve's landscape stand annoying? It seems odd to set up an Aura HD case that way, have you ever used the stand?

3. What are you experiences of holding the Aura HD upright with one hand using those cases? I find it impossible without a case (too slippy!) and it's one of my primary criteria, so general impressions would be appreciated.

A couple of other potential covers I've come across that I've not seen mentioned here are:

The BigStrawberry/British Library hardback cases:
http://bigstrawberry.com/product-cat...itish_library/

They claim to have a multi-fit system that looks to be some sort of sucky/sticky gell but I wonder how well it would work with the back of the Aura HD.

The Skinomi Skins:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ywords=Aura+HD

I'm mainly after the case to help with handling. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the DecalGirl skins weren't as grippy as they could be and I'm wondering if these would be an improvement.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #264
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
I've been using the official Kobo case for a few months and I noticed that cracks appeared on both top corners of the case.

It never fell, so my guess is that this is caused by the temperature variations due to winter (going outside, going into the train, going outside again...): The reader is so tightly inserted into the case that these variations may create tensions resulting in the plastic case cracking. Hopefully now that a little free space has been created by these cracks, they won't grow larger...

Anybody else seeing this?
Nope. I have two Aura HDs, both with the official cover. One or the other goes with me everywhere, from out in the snow to indoors where it's warm and toasty, and I don't have any cracks. I've had one of them for almost a year, and the other for less than 2 months, but no cracks so far.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #265
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Espresso Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I presume you're asking if it flaps about. Short answer: No, it doesn't. Long answer: When you're not using the stand it grips the Aura HD quite firmly and doesn't move.

I think there are two reasons it has a second hinge. Firstly, it's because that's their standard chassis design for tablets so you can stand them up in landscape mode. So the stand feature is of little use for the portrait only Aura HD.

Secondly, and possibly more important, the second hinge is needed to insert and remove the device from the case. The left side of the back has to swing downwards and out of the way so you can slide the device sideways into the right hand side of the back (I hope this makes sense). Once inserted the left side can be swung back up to grip the reader.

Last edited by meson1; 01-20-2014 at 06:41 PM.
meson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:17 AM   #266
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Yeah, just a typo. I guess you mean Mulberry, I can't see any company called Mulburry?

Pointing out that there is a similarly named company, producing things in a similar area (tablet cases) that's been around a long time and has a good reputation doesn't reflect very well on 'Mulbess', especially as they don't appear to have published any website/company information.
Yep, sorry, Mulberry. Great bags and such (but not the point here).
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #267
EndlessWaves
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akerbos View Post
I got myself the Slimfit cover from Gecko Covers for my Aura HD.

My only concern is that the outer material is very smooth (not leathery) so the reader starts sliding when put on planes with only small inclination.
Interesting, Jackastor said that the texture of the leather on the ebay version was 'nice and grainy':
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=172

Do you notice any differences between the gecko version and the one in the video quoted in the above link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post
I presume you're asking if it flaps about. Short answer: No, it doesn't. Long answer: When you're not using the stand it grips the Aura HD quite firmly and doesn't move.
Thanks, I'm inclining towards this version. I did have some concerns that the design wasn't the best but it sounds that it's at least trouble free.

I also tweeted BigStrawberry about Aura HD compatibility for the British Museum generic hardback-style cases and got this reponse:

Quote:
They should fit our 7inch covers, the other Kobos work great and out sticky pads are pretty strong!
https://twitter.com/BigStrawberryx/s...29385998000128

Last edited by EndlessWaves; 01-20-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #268
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
I also tweeted BigStrawberry about Aura HD compatibility for the British Museum generic hardback-style cases and got this reponse:
https://twitter.com/BigStrawberryx/s...29385998000128
One thing to remember about the Aura HD is that the back is anomalous in shape -- not flat -- and might require a fitted case for stability. Even if the device can fit into a generic cover, the experience of using said device in said cover is very important (unless you intend to remove the cover whenever you settle in, which could become laborious).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-26-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #269
Akerbos
Akerbos began at the beginning.

Quote:
Interesting, Jackastor said that the texture of the leather on the ebay version was 'nice and grainy':
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=172

Do you notice any differences between the gecko version and the one in the video quoted in the above link?
No obvious ones, although the cases in the video don't seem to be from Gecko Covers.

The material of my cover is leathery (I think it might have "rubbed in" since I got it) and easy to hold with bare hands. It's just that it provides next to no friction on usual textiles, tables, etc. I don't know if that's better for current competitors. I used a Tuff-Luv cover with my Kobo Touch, and that one provides a lot more friction.
Akerbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #270
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I've picked up an Oberon Kindle Touch case - fits inside well, but the straps are too tight, I feel. I'm taking it to my local saddlery place and having them move the rivets down aprox. 1/2 inch to see if that works.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote