Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
constantevo
constantevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
GMail auth problems in mailing to Kindle

I'm a plug'n'play kind of tech user. I don't know code and I don't speak tech-speak. For example, one of the reasons I had no idea which thread to post to is because reading the thread titles is the equivalent of reading a foreign language. Hopefully someone really patient will be able to help me out.

Here it goes:
I just got my first-ever Kindle 3 (not 3G). On a forum for Kindle users, someone shared how awesome Calibre is so I downloaded the program because I am wanting to get my blog feeds and newspapers sent to my Kindle automatically everyday (for free). (I am using Firefox as my browser and my OS is Windows Vista.)

I downloaded the program, I added my gmail account, I made sure that gmail address was an acceptable address in my Amazon account, I made sure that Calibre could work past my firewall (I use McAfee) and I made MOBI (whatever that means) my preference because I have a Kindle. (Hoping that's correct).

Then I went about choosing the newspapers I wanted to receive and I added my blog feed addresses. The newspapers downloaded without error. I'm not so sure about the blog feeds.

When I went to send the feeds to my @kindle.com address, I got the following error:
calibre, version 0.7.45
ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email Salon.com to tschott_79@kindle.com

Email Salon.com to tschott_79@kindle.com
connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 587)
connect: (587, u'smtp.gmail.com')
reply: '220 mx.google.com ESMTP u9sm3863585ibe.8\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: mx.google.com ESMTP u9sm3863585ibe.8
connect: mx.google.com ESMTP u9sm3863585ibe.8
send: 'ehlo twoleftsocks-PC.domain.actdsltmp\r\n'
reply: '250-mx.google.com at your service, [71.36.40.144]\r\n'
reply: '250-SIZE 35651584\r\n'
reply: '250-8BITMIME\r\n'
reply: '250-STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: mx.google.com at your service, [71.36.40.144]
SIZE 35651584
8BITMIME
STARTTLS
ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
reply: '250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH\r\n'
SIZE 35651584
8BITMIME
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH
ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: '535-5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at \r\n'
reply: '535 5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257 u9sm3863585ibe.8\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: 5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257 u9sm3863585ibe.8

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 117, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 171, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 110, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 610, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, '5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at\n5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257 u9sm3863585ibe.8')

Retrying in 301 seconds...
connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 587)
connect: (587, u'smtp.gmail.com')
reply: '220 mx.google.com ESMTP y42sm6150020wfd.22\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: mx.google.com ESMTP y42sm6150020wfd.22
connect: mx.google.com ESMTP y42sm6150020wfd.22
reply: '250-STARTTLS\r\n'
SIZE 35651584
8BITMIME
STARTTLS
ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
reply: '250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH\r\n'
SIZE 35651584
8BITMIME
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH
ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: '535-5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at \r\n'
reply: '535 5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257 y42sm6150020wfd.22\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: 5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257 y42sm6150020wfd.22

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 117, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 171, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 110, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 610, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, '5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at\n5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257 y42sm6150020wfd.22')

I do see that it mentions repeatedly an authentication error/login/password incorrect message. I'm sure I entered it in correctly. Not sure what my next step should be.

Thanks in advance.
constantevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by constantevo View Post
I do see that it mentions repeatedly an authentication error/login/password incorrect message. I'm sure I entered it in correctly. Not sure what my next step should be.
Delete them and re-enter them. You got something wrong. Check you're entering the right account and password for the SMTP server.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
constantevo

What is an SMTP server?

I did delete them and re-enter them as you suggested. Still got the error.

Also, another point: it took 5 minutes from the time I clicked send to the time I got the error message. That's for one paper. Is this a normal length of time?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
For GMail and Hotmail accounts, sending emails is throttled so as not to trigger the spam guard of the server. That's why you're seeing the five minute delay.
The SMTP server is the server that sends the mail from your Googlemail account to your Kindle address. The username for the server must include the @gmail.com or @googlemail.com part of your address (in fact, the name should be your complete GMail address).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Tegan
Connoisseur
Tegan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1st Gen, Kindle 3 SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by constantevo View Post
What is an SMTP server?

I did delete them and re-enter them as you suggested. Still got the error.

Also, another point: it took 5 minutes from the time I clicked send to the time I got the error message. That's for one paper. Is this a normal length of time?
You're using Gmail, did you put your full gmail address for both the user name and address?

Try running a test to see if it gives you a more useful error (that's "test email" in the lower right, then click the "test" button and wait a few minutes).
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
Try running a test to see if it gives you a more useful error (that's "test email" in the lower right, then click the "test" button and wait a few minutes).
How is that error not useful?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Tegan
Connoisseur
Tegan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1st Gen, Kindle 3 SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
How is that error not useful?
It's not in plain English. I admit, I think he figured out the problem just fine using it, but I also think that if he uses the test he'll feel a little more secure and get an answer that is more succinct. I could be wrong, though. I messed with the e-mail function for a bit, and found the shorter error in the test to be more helpful than the long one. But I'm not a computer engineer.
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
constantevo

Thanks to both of you with your helpful suggestions and explanation of what an SMTP server is.

I had some success after I posted this - a Calibre user from another forum suggested I run the wizard again and she explained what should be in each box when adding an email address and after I cleaned it up with her recommendations, I sent the feeds again and they loaded on my Kindle.

Now if I can figure out how to get my blog feeds transferred over, I'll be set.

Thanks again for your responses.