Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Question Kindle for PC won't work

I recently got a new computer at work. The new one is Windows 7 (64-bit, I think, which I don't totally understand). I had Kindle for PC on my XP work computer, and I installed it on my new Windows 7 work computer. I am able to register and see my archive. But when I click on a book, it says the book can't be opened and tells me to delete it and try again. It also won't open non-DRM mobi books I have on my computer.

I've tried deregistering and reregistering, rebooting the computer, uninstalling and reinstalling the software, and installing version 1.0 (rather than the current 1.1). Nothing helps.

I've sent a sample to my Kindle for PC, and the sample shows up, but when I click on it, it says it can't be opened.

I can't call Kindle CS right now because I'm at work, but I'll send them an email. In the meantime, any ideas?
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
You have to download the books from Amazon again. Reason the DRM is different on the new computer from the old computer.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

I've deleted all the books. I've tried re-downloading them. It doesn't work. It also won't open non-DRMed mobi books I have on my computer. It also won't open a sample that I sent (sent just now, on this new computer). Nothing will open.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
It also won't open non-DRMed mobi books I have on my computer.
That is awfully strange (my first though was that the PC wasn't properly registered as a "device" at Amazon, but that wouldn't affect non-DRM'd local Mobi files). I'd try uninstalling and deleting all traces of the app from the PC, then reinstalling.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've seen no issues with Windows 7 and K4PC on several installs. It leads me to believe that there are local/network security settings being applied to your new work computer that are preventing it from working properly. Are you friendly with anyone in the IT department?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
vermontcathy
Connoisseur

Yup, tried deleting all traces of the program. First time I uninstalled, I noticed it was "remembering" some things when I reinstalled, so I showed the protected system files, and deleted folders that I found in c:/users. Someone on the Amazon boards said the same thing happened to him, and gave explicit steps for deleting these files and it didn't help me, but it helped him.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Does Kindle4PC support 64-bit operating systems? It probably does, but I couldn't find anything about this in the information on their download page.

This article explains a little bit more about Windows DRM system - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664 .

On the other hand, vermontcathy, this is a work computer. You might check with your IT department; perhaps they have set up some new security/work rules and have blocked the use of such applications as Kindle For PC. Usually though, you wouldn't even be able to download the application, let alone install it, but I would still check with your IT department to see if they have any ideas for a solution to your problem

Holly

Edit - Whoops, DiapDealer beat me to it. He posted his comment while I was busy writing mine. What he said!!

Last edited by OakIris; 10-06-2010 at 02:33 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Kindle4PC works well with Windows 7 64-bit. I suspect that it is an Administrator issue, or lack thereof. As DiapDealer mentioned it is probably an issue with the company IT department not allowing it to work or not allowing you to set up the required Administrator rights. A lot of companies are pretty strict on what they allow their network to connect to, and for good reason.